Post a reply

Re: Eurosport televising expert debate.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ck147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:At least Murphy has never assaulted a press officer, conceded a match halfway through, turned down a maximum attempt due to prize money being "too small" don't think he's slagged the game off either, he'll play in many tournaments as possible. He doesn't think he's bigger than the game. He doesn't criticse other countries. He doesn't go on about retirement every year.

Are you SmurphLuvver88 on that other forum?

Nope the only Sports forum I'm on is this and JA606.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:I like Shaun Murphy's style of play, and have never been disappointed when I've brought tickets blind and ended up seeing him.

But, his personality can grate. I think a lot of the criticism he gets he brings on himself. He can be quite moralistic, and gives his opinion on things that aren't really any of his business.

Take that incident with Maguire. I mean, he asked the referee to dock his opponent a frame, and then when the referee refused he got the tournament director involved. I know rules are rules, but in a sport that prides itself in gentlemanly conduct on the table that was a douchey thing to do. The referees decision is final at the end of the day, there was no reason to kick of to that degree. Complaining to the referee about your opponent delaying a match by a couple of minutes is up-tight. Going above the referee's head is just an awful thing to do.

You can't even give him the benefit of the doubt saying it was a one time thing. I remember he gave Robertson some hassle for leaving equipment in his dressing room once. And by the time Murphy had finished whining, the referee doing the match had Jan Verhaas run back to the dressing room and retrieve it.

The frustrating thing with Murphy is, I actually want to like him. I'm happy to watch him play, and when he wins he often speaks in a polite manner about his opponent. When he won the Welsh Open this year, he was glowing in praise for Kyren.

I think in some ways, Murphy is a legitimately polite person. But he also tends to think that gives him the right to criticise what others are doing. Which is why so many people are turned off him. And it's not like he has anybody to blame but himself.

great post.

Postby csprince

Juddernaut88 wrote:At least Murphy has never assaulted a press officer, conceded a match halfway through, turned down a maximum attempt due to prize money being "too small" don't think he's slagged the game off either, he'll play in many tournaments as possible. He doesn't think he's bigger than the game. He doesn't criticse other countries. He doesn't go on about retirement every year.

couldn't have put it any better myself.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I like Shaun Murphy's style of play, and have never been disappointed when I've brought tickets blind and ended up seeing him.

But, his personality can grate. I think a lot of the criticism he gets he brings on himself. He can be quite moralistic, and gives his opinion on things that aren't really any of his business.

Take that incident with Maguire. I mean, he asked the referee to dock his opponent a frame, and then when the referee refused he got the tournament director involved. I know rules are rules, but in a sport that prides itself in gentlemanly conduct on the table that was a douchey thing to do. The referees decision is final at the end of the day, there was no reason to kick of to that degree. Complaining to the referee about your opponent delaying a match by a couple of minutes is up-tight. Going above the referee's head is just an awful thing to do.

You can't even give him the benefit of the doubt saying it was a one time thing. I remember he gave Robertson some hassle for leaving equipment in his dressing room once. And by the time Murphy had finished whining, the referee doing the match had Jan Verhaas run back to the dressing room and retrieve it.

The frustrating thing with Murphy is, I actually want to like him. I'm happy to watch him play, and when he wins he often speaks in a polite manner about his opponent. When he won the Welsh Open this year, he was glowing in praise for Kyren.

I think in some ways, Murphy is a legitimately polite person. But he also tends to think that gives him the right to criticise what others are doing. Which is why so many people are turned off him. And it's not like he has anybody to blame but himself.

great post.

Who's the berk now? :wave: