Post a reply

Re: The Weakest ‘Perfect’ Player

Postby Dan-cat

I love that this thread has been derailed by some disagreement with the original post :-D

If I had to choose, with a gun against my head, about one of the top players getting out of a snooker... Ronnie would be my first choice.

Postby carayip

Iranu wrote:So far I’ve been accused of saying he’s the weakest top player at escaping, and that he misses more than most top players.

I said neither of those things.

I said he misses more often than MANY. Selby, Higgins, Williams, Ding, and possibly Judd and Robbo, in my estimation. That’s not most.

The weakest top player at escaping snookers is Murphy, by some distance.

I think that’s cause you watch Ronnie’s matches more than other players so you get this false impression, it’s similar as people say Trump get more flukes than others. For one, I remember MJW has lost several matches when his opponents needed snookers and he failed to escape. I don’t remember Ronnie lost any significant match doing that

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:I said he misses more often than MANY. Selby, Higgins, Williams, Ding, and possibly Judd and Robbo, in my estimation. That’s not most..

I just don't think that's true.

Postby Iranu

carayip wrote:
Iranu wrote:So far I’ve been accused of saying he’s the weakest top player at escaping, and that he misses more than most top players.

I said he misses more often than MANY. Selby, Higgins, Williams, Ding, and possibly Judd and Robbo, in my estimation. That’s not most.

I think that’s cause you watch Ronnie’s matches more than other players so you get this false impression, it’s similar as people say Trump get more flukes than others. For one, I remember MJW has lost several matches when his opponents needed snookers and he failed to escape. I don’t remember Ronnie lost any significant match doing that

That’s entirely possible.

Postby Iranu

Here are the entries so far that I think would qualify:*

Judd’s concentration
Drago’s rest play
Robertson’s propensity for getting bogged down
Murphy’s cannoning ability
Doherty’s breakbuilding
Ding’s consistency
Ali Carter’s temper
Ronnie’s break-off

*Again, this is based on a weakness that would still be strong enough that, in itself, it wouldn’t stop a player winning tournaments. Some entries don’t qualify either because I think they’re too poor (e.g. Lisowski’s shot selection) or because they’re not a weakness as such (Hamilton’s speed of play).

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:

Judd does get more flukes, come on.

Postby carayip

SnookerFan wrote:
carayip wrote:

Judd does get more flukes, come on.

You play more matches, you are on TV more, you get more flukes

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Judd could make one shot and get more flukes than everybody else in history combined.

I fully expect him to pot all 15 reds on the break off at some point.

If it happens to anybody....

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Judd once had two flukes in a row against Robbo! (2019 CoC final)

Conclusive proof.

Yeah, but that was only because he had so many matches. Or something.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Every player in the game has got out of 4 cushion snookers. He’s also failed to escape simple one cushion snookers.

And as I said, I don’t think he’s BAD at it. Just not as good as others part of his game.

Like DC, HC and a few others, I completely disagree. Ronnie is very good at escaping snookers. And he sees the angles pretty much effortlessly.
BTW, on many occasions, one cushion snookers are far harder to escape than 4 cushion snookers.
It's not just about hitting the intended ball, but also about getting some kind of safety. In most cases where you have to use 4 cushions, the ball that you intend to land on is close to or tight on the cushion. So as long as you get the desired path and speed, you have a good chance of leaving it safe.
Now, when the targeted ball is in the middle of the table and you use one cushion, figuring out the angle and leaving it safe is a whole lot harder.
I also see the break off as the weakest part of his game.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:I also see the break off as the weakest part of his game.

Yeah I went with the consensus and added it to the list <ok>

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:Alan McManus round-the-table nous

Hence the nickname Mangles McManus.