Post a reply

Re: Family problems likely a factor in Ronnie's strange seas

Postby sas6789

TheRocket wrote:Trumps two biggest rivals are two 40+ year olds. Players who became pro in 1992 and are from a completely different generation than he is. The 14 year old gap tells the whole story.

He doesnt have a peer or any peers who are anything close to prime O'Sullivan/Higgins level. Neither Wilson, nor Ding. He has a massive advantage compared to other great players. Its for everyone to see.

But despite his massive age advantage Trump couldnt win a single major for 7 years. He couldnt even beat Higgins in a proper match for a decade. He had to wait until Higgins got to his mid 40's to finally beat the well past his prime Scot.

Ding could definitely be a rival to Judd if he had a better attitude.

Postby sas6789

TheRocket wrote:Trumps two biggest rivals are two 40+ year olds. Players who became pro in 1992 and are from a completely different generation than he is. The 14 year old gap tells the whole story.

He doesnt have a peer or any peers who are anything close to prime O'Sullivan/Higgins level. Neither Wilson, nor Ding. He has a massive advantage compared to other great players. Its for everyone to see.

But despite his massive age advantage Trump couldnt win a single major for 7 years. He couldnt even beat Higgins in a proper match for a decade. He had to wait until Higgins got to his mid 40's to finally beat the well past his prime Scot.

And also there's Robertson, Murphy and Selby, although he has the latter's number atm.

Postby TheRocket

Robertson and Murphy are 7 years older than Trump. Selby 6. Thats as much as Hendrys and O'Sullivans age gap btw.

My point is. Just compare it to O'Sullivan,Higgins,Williams who are from the very same generation and same age. And not only they had to compete against each other since the very start of their careers which is tough enough. They also had to then compete against a bunch of younger great players who came along. People like Robertson,Selby,Murphy who are all 7-8 years younger than them.

Now lets look at Judd Trump. Trump doesnt have to face a single same aged, let alone younger rival who is anywhere close to being a potential All-Time Great. Let alone prime O'Sullivan and Higgins level.

Its for everyone to see.

Postby TheRocket

For me its All-Time Great = at least 2 World titles. Ding has 0.

And I'd like to mention that Ding hasnt been a consistent performer since probably 13/14. He only appears once or twice per season and thats hardly enough to challenge Trump consistently.

As I said. Trump doesnt have to worry about same aged/younger opposition unlike many others and yet he failed to take real advantage from that for a long time.

Postby HustleKing

TheRocket wrote:For me its All-Time Great = at least 2 World titles. Ding has 0.

And I'd like to mention that Ding hasnt been a consistent performer since probably 13/14. He only appears once or twice per season and thats hardly enough to challenge Trump consistently.

As I said. Trump doesnt have to worry about same aged/younger opposition unlike many others and yet he failed to take real advantage from that for a long time.

I would agree with your criteria for an all-time great, but damn are you gonna trigger the Jimmy fanboys by stating that criteria ;-)

Postby Bjornebye

Without a doubt the greatest player of all time. have to say though its been refreshing to have a few of the bigger tournaments without it being the Ronnie show. Of course him not being there does in a way undervalue the tournament but the broadcasters have done a good job of ignoring him not being there.

Fair enough if he needs time out to repair his home-life or whatever but when he speaks you just get an air of arrogance and it doesn't sit right with me. Plus he is constantly bugging up China and far-east players. Clearly to increase his popularity over there for financial reasons.

I used to tolerate him because he is fantastic to watch but the last few years he has just been tedious and boring. If he hates it that much then just retire and let those who want to play get on with it.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Robertson and Murphy are 7 years older than Trump. Selby 6. Thats as much as Hendrys and O'Sullivans age gap btw.

My point is. Just compare it to O'Sullivan,Higgins,Williams who are from the very same generation and same age. And not only they had to compete against each other since the very start of their careers which is tough enough. They also had to then compete against a bunch of younger great players who came along. People like Robertson,Selby,Murphy who are all 7-8 years younger than them.

Now lets look at Judd Trump. Trump doesnt have to face a single same aged, let alone younger rival who is anywhere close to being a potential All-Time Great. Let alone prime O'Sullivan and Higgins level.

Its for everyone to see.

Yeah I'd agree with this.

Only Ding, Kyren and Robbo could really challenge Trump on a regular basis, but sadly they do not.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:It appears that Ronnie and Laila broke up prior to last year's World Championship (but then eventually got back together), which if true, would help to explain Ronnie's strange performance against James Cahill...

So they together again?

He definately seemed under the weather in that match, and he proved it in the post-match interview. It's not an excuse for playing kamikaze like he did in the 1st session and some of the 2nd, but also he wasn't prepared to put up a battle.

As far as I can remember he put up a fight when he was 5-8 down and was two pots away to lead 9-8. these bucking pinks.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:It appears that Ronnie and Laila broke up prior to last year's World Championship (but then eventually got back together), which if true, would help to explain Ronnie's strange performance against James Cahill...

So they together again?

He definately seemed under the weather in that match, and he proved it in the post-match interview. It's not an excuse for playing kamikaze like he did in the 1st session and some of the 2nd, but also he wasn't prepared to put up a battle.

As far as I can remember he put up a fight when he was 5-8 down and was two pots away to lead 9-8. these bucking pinks.

Damage was done mate. By the time he took it seriously at 8-5 down, Cahill was already full of confidence.

If he had that mindset the whole match he would have easily win 10-3 or something similar, as I can remember Cahill needing 3 or 4 chances to win most frames.

Postby Dan-cat

Bjornebye wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:No, it's not a good post.

Care to add any context to that post or do you not really know?

Hey man, I didn't mean to be dismissive, fair play for calling me out. It was more a flippant dig at Baddy just agreeing point blank with your post, when I thought it had problems.

I'm not sure if you've watched any of Ronnie's interviews after his matches this season, or his punditry on Eurosport. He conveys a genuine love for the game in these spots, and his desire to improve, even in what is realistically the November of his career, is to be admired. A proper student of the game. Earlier this year, for example, he was saying how's going into the pack less, tweaking his break-building (and picking them off Ray Reardon-style) and this is the guy who is the most successful break builder ever, and it's still not good enough for him!

Sure, he says some twattish things, and these get reported the most, because it's clickbait. And yes, he's been guilty this year of playing a bit kamikaze at times. But in recent months he's knuckled down and his last couple of tournaments, where you could see he was trying his heart out to get in the 16 for the Players... until Holty upset that little plan.

Calling him 'tedious and boring' when he has supplied, as ever, some of the most exciting play in the last two years is just plain wrong, in my opinion. The Tour Champs last year, less than a year ago, the match with Judd with the black ball finish when he came from 6-2 behind, was one of the most exciting matches ever (not just my opinion, we had a poll on the forum recently.)

At no point in recent times, as your post states, as he talked about hating the game. Quite the opposite in fact. So yes, I thought your post had problems.

Postby Bjornebye

Thats fair enough and when he does his punditry he is pretty decent. You are right what your saying about him talking about improving his game as well and I do listen to things like that. You can't however tell me that his words and actions haven't been bad for the sport in recent years. If he wasn't the star attraction I think Hearn would have just told him to quit then if he isn't happy.

When I say tedious I mean stupid things like his behaviour in NI. My mate was a runner for Eurosport and said he just acted an idiot all the time. All the plugs for his sponsor etc and showing no respect. Thats tedious. He thinks he is untouchable. He is untouchable but he acts like a w*nker too often.

Postby Dan-cat

Fair enough - we both have valid points, sounds like you have insider knowledge too. The plugs for his sponsor were probably in is contract. He is an enigma, meaning literally that he is mysterious or difficult to understand. As a troubled genius, he aint always gonna be perfect, but is still a powerful and good force for the game, still the biggest draw. :-)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Bjornebye wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:No, it's not a good post.

Care to add any context to that post or do you not really know?

He thought your previous post was a load of bullocks, and I agree with him.

Hi Bjornebye.

Ignore Cloud. He is the 'village idiot' of the forum and means no harm but gets excited by using swear words.

We try to look after him as the forum is a huge part of his life.

<ok>