Post a reply

Re: Family problems likely a factor in Ronnie's strange seas

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:The turmoils in his personal life are the reason why Ronnie never achieved his full potential.
:sad: :-( :sad:

Yes.

What a rubbish career he's had.

There's no doubt he's had a great career, but also no doubt that he underachieved relative to his talent level.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:It appears that Ronnie and Laila broke up prior to last year's World Championship (but then eventually got back together), which if true, would help to explain Ronnie's strange performance against James Cahill...

So they together again?

He definately seemed under the weather in that match, and he proved it in the post-match interview. It's not an excuse for playing kamikaze like he did in the 1st session and some of the 2nd, but also he wasn't prepared to put up a battle.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:The turmoils in his personal life are the reason why Ronnie never achieved his full potential.
:sad: :-( :sad:

Yes.

What a rubbish career he's had.

Given his talent, anything but 10 WC's on his resume is an underachievement. :-(

Postby SnookerEd25

Thats as maybe but a players personal issues are private, and should stay that way in my opinion unless they show willing to bring it up for others to dissect themselves. We are quick on here sometimes to brand players as ‘bottlers’ or ‘failures’ but who knows what they are dealing with off the table? They’re inly human, after all. Matthew Stevens is one who has had well documented issues and that’s clearly had a negative impact on his form in the past. Barry Hawkins is another who is seemingly experiencing difficulties, but hopefully he’ll be able to come through and get his game back together. Players such as Michael White & Anthony McGill have tumbled down the rankings lately and perhaps thats due to behind the scenes problems, perhaps not. We don’t know, and its none of our business. We should just try to remember that nobody’s perfect, and think what it would be like if our personal affairs were laid bare to public scrutiny; how would we deal with it?

Rant over. Sleep well everyone.

Postby TheSaviour

Yes, but Neil Robertson is going to dominate the World´s either way.

Neil looks slightly "suspicious" and he plays any given shot with a touch.

Anda Zhang is a scary, scary good long potter but solely that isn´t going to be enough. It never has been, it most likely never will.

Nothing wrong Peter Lines, Mike Dunn or David Gilbert´s "lack of bottle" around the black. But is even that going to be enough. No. But that is the most astonishing correct approach ever.

Everyone has family problems, perhaps Ronnie just having more. Perhaps, yes.

Recognising a problems is key of trying to solve those. That means bottle. It also means getting out of the correct line, correct approach type of a Peter Lines, Mike Dunn and David Gilbert, for example.

Billy Castle surprised me of not attacking that brown. It cost him, not any surprisingly. That´s just Castle. He tried to surprise everyone and he did. But what´s the point when and while knowing it will be punished.

Coast to Coast Secret Africa (Livingstone). DANGERS include
*Hostile local people
*Diseases

Surviving in the African jungle without even a tent (Mary Kingsley 1862-1900). DANGERS include
*Hostile local people
*Mosquitoes
*Tropical diseases

Round the World challenge (Magellan). DANGERS include
*Running out of the food
*Crashing waves
*Diseases

Adventures in the desert. A daring trek across a windswept desert (Gertrude Bell). DANGERS include
*The threat of violence.
*Being caught as a spy.
*Running out of the food.
*Heat.

Freya Stark (1893-1993).

Taming the Wild West.

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the staggering 4 years! La Florida. Las Gemelitas. La Florida.

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the astonishing 5 years. Who ever. Conquistadors.

How to avoid grizzly bear attack while meeting a one?
-Make yourself look big.
- Walk away calmly. Don´t run away, it will chase you.

Make yourself look big. That´s something which has interested me for some time now

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the astonishing 4 years.

That´s exactly what has been on the menu and all what I have ever wished. Make yourself look big. Absolutely no need to just to be there. And never attack an easy brown ball, just leave it all for the opponent. Never be deadly. Never be deadly in terms of brain work like Peter Lines and David Gilbert so obviously always are. Never be any deadly. In terms of brain work. Just shock me, please. Don´t finnish yet. Please.

..and the Spanish had been on the march for the shockingly 4 years.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Thats as maybe but a players personal issues are private, and should stay that way in my opinion unless they show willing to bring it up for others to dissect themselves. We are quick on here sometimes to brand players as ‘bottlers’ or ‘failures’ but who knows what they are dealing with off the table? They’re inly human, after all. Matthew Stevens is one who has had well documented issues and that’s clearly had a negative impact on his form in the past. Barry Hawkins is another who is seemingly experiencing difficulties, but hopefully he’ll be able to come through and get his game back together. Players such as Michael White & Anthony McGill have tumbled down the rankings lately and perhaps thats due to behind the scenes problems, perhaps not. We don’t know, and its none of our business. We should just try to remember that nobody’s perfect, and think what it would be like if our personal affairs were laid bare to public scrutiny; how would we deal with it?

Rant over. Sleep well everyone.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Yes, but Neil Robertson is going to dominate the World´s either way.

Neil looks slightly "suspicious" and he plays any given shot with a touch.

Anda Zhang is a scary, scary good long potter but solely that isn´t going to be enough. It never has been, it most likely never will.

Nothing wrong Peter Lines, Mike Dunn or David Gilbert´s "lack of bottle" around the black. But is even that going to be enough. No. But that is the most astonishing correct approach ever.

Everyone has family problems, perhaps Ronnie just having more. Perhaps, yes.

Recognising a problems is key of trying to solve those. That means bottle. It also means getting out of the correct line, correct approach type of a Peter Lines, Mike Dunn and David Gilbert, for example.

Billy Castle surprised me of not attacking that brown. It cost him, not any surprisingly. That´s just Castle. He tried to surprise everyone and he did. But what´s the point when and while knowing it will be punished.

Coast to Coast Secret Africa (Livingstone). DANGERS include
*Hostile local people
*Diseases

Surviving in the African jungle without even a tent (Mary Kingsley 1862-1900). DANGERS include
*Hostile local people
*Mosquitoes
*Tropical diseases

Round the World challenge (Magellan). DANGERS include
*Running out of the food
*Crashing waves
*Diseases

Adventures in the desert. A daring trek across a windswept desert (Gertrude Bell). DANGERS include
*The threat of violence.
*Being caught as a spy.
*Running out of the food.
*Heat.

Freya Stark (1893-1993).

Taming the Wild West.

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the staggering 4 years! La Florida. Las Gemelitas. La Florida.

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the astonishing 5 years. Who ever. Conquistadors.

How to avoid grizzly bear attack while meeting a one?
-Make yourself look big.
- Walk away calmly. Don´t run away, it will chase you.

Make yourself look big. That´s something which has interested me for some time now

...and the Spanish had been on the march for the astonishing 4 years.

That´s exactly what has been on the menu and all what I have ever wished. Make yourself look big. Absolutely no need to just to be there. And never attack an easy brown ball, just leave it all for the opponent. Never be deadly. Never be deadly in terms of brain work like Peter Lines and David Gilbert so obviously always are. Never be any deadly. In terms of brain work. Just shock me, please. Don´t finnish yet. Please.

..and the Spanish had been on the march for the shockingly 4 years.

Precisely.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Who knows if there is any truth in any of this. It's the Sun.

They got rid of my favourite part of The Sun.

Piers Morgan?

Wasn't he The Mirror?

nah that was Ronnie's reflection.

Postby Sauce321

Someone on the Internet, about when Ronnie lost to Cahill :

« I have some inside scoop on this one. I was in Sheffield staying at the hotel where wall the players stay. the Mercor. it's right across from the crucible. all the players hang out in the bar there. you see all the players there. snooker is a small scene. it's not Formula One.

First time at the crucible. anyway I was hanging out with a bookie pal from Belfast who seemed to know everybody. so we got chatting to to some charming Scouser gangster types who claimed "they were with Ronnie". a big claim. but it turned out to be true. they were good pals with him. nice guys too. part of his entourage. there were rumors that Ronnie was sick. had the flu or something like that. but they knew better. "He's not sick. it's his bird. She's doing his head in." They then advise us to in their words "lump in against Ronnie", ie bet against him winning the next day against Cahill. which we did. when he showed up with the shaved head we knew they were right. »

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sauce321 wrote:Someone on the Internet, about when Ronnie lost to Cahill :

« I have some inside scoop on this one. I was in Sheffield staying at the hotel where wall the players stay. the Mercor. it's right across from the crucible. all the players hang out in the bar there. you see all the players there. snooker is a small scene. it's not Formula One.

First time at the crucible. anyway I was hanging out with a bookie pal from Belfast who seemed to know everybody. so we got chatting to to some charming Scouser gangster types who claimed "they were with Ronnie". a big claim. but it turned out to be true. they were good pals with him. nice guys too. part of his entourage. there were rumors that Ronnie was sick. had the flu or something like that. but they knew better. "He's not sick. it's his bird. She's doing his head in." They then advise us to in their words "lump in against Ronnie", ie bet against him winning the next day against Cahill. which we did. when he showed up with the shaved head we knew they were right. »

Interesting. Sounds plausible.