Post a reply

Betting companies as sponsors during Hearn's era

Postby Pink Ball

A decade since he took charge of the game, here are the statistics according to my rough maths:

Of the 31 Triple Crown events under Hearn's leadership (including next week's Masters), all bar one (the 2012 BGC Masters) was sponsored by a betting company (96.8%).

Of the 96 ranking events/major invitational events held in Europe, 88 have been sponsored by betting companies (91.7%). This excludes events without a sponsor.

The only non-betting companies to sponsor an event in Europe in the last ten years are:

Kaspersky:4
Wyldecrest Parks: 2
Kreativ Dental: 1
BGC: 1

That, to me, is hugely concerning.

Re: Betting companies as sponsors during Hearn's era

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Yes - hugely hugely concerning.

I have been hugely concerned by it for some time.

I have not yet shared it with my family as I am trying to protect them,

:roll:

Passive Aggressive.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

All right, fucknuts.

This sport nearly fell asunder because of its over-dependence on tobacco sponsorship. I struggle to see gambling sponsorship seeing out the next 10 years. So you’re not in the least bit worried that snooker will go down the toilet facility again?

Postby carayip

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

All right, fucknuts.

This sport nearly fell asunder because of its over-dependence on tobacco sponsorship. I struggle to see gambling sponsorship seeing out the next 10 years. So you’re not in the least bit worried that snooker will go down the toilet facility again?

I think that’s why they are desperate for the Chinese and Saudi money to come in or elsewhere in the world if possible

Postby Badsnookerplayer

carayip wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

All right, fucknuts.

I think that’s why they are desperate for the Chinese and Saudi money to come in or elsewhere in the world if possible

To be serious, snooker is in a sorry state more because of it's declining popularity with the public in Britain and Ireland. If the sport was more popular, it would attract more mainstream sponsors. There are barely any younger players coming through and clubs are closing at an alarming rate. I can't see any new ones opening either as they can't really make a profit out of the space used for tables any more.

I think that betting companies will sponsor for a couple or maybe five more years but - yes - trouble is definitely on the horizon for the game in this part of the world.

Postby carayip

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
carayip wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

All right, fucknuts.

To be serious, snooker is in a sorry state more because of it's declining popularity with the public in Britain and Ireland. If the sport was more popular, it would attract more mainstream sponsors. There are barely any younger players coming through and clubs are closing at an alarming rate. I can't see any new ones opening either as they can't really make a profit out of the space used for tables any more.

I think that betting companies will sponsor for a couple or maybe five more years but - yes - trouble is definitely on the horizon for the game in this part of the world.

Wouldn’t be surprised in a few years, tournaments held in UK be reduced and those so called triple crown events exist in name and nostalgia reasons only. Places like China and Saudi are where the serious prize money come from

Postby Iranu

Hendon confirms on his podcast that Coral have pulled out of the ITV series next year, so the “Coral Series” either won’t exist or will be renamed.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Looking up the list of Premier League sponsors there are ten betting companies so half the total. There are four financial services, two each for cars and airlines and one duty free and one media.

This season there is Ideal Boilers.

Postby Wildey

Yea too many eggs in one basket and Hearn being so pally with betting firms are definitely putting other companies off from sponsoring and the same could be said about tobacco in the past.

Snookers World Championship has got a long term contract with Betfred so realistically would other product want to get in on the act sponsoring the English Open while a Betting firm has a strangle hold of the Big one

Postby SnookerEd25

Desperately disappointing; though I don't condone their practices, is it any co-incidence that snooker's popularity tailed off with the ban on tobacco sponsorship?

And, ironically, the 'second coming' of snooker in recent years (admittedly, not to be compared with the golden era, but a significant upturn in the doldrums of the 'dark ages' ) has co-incided with the rise of internet gambling sites as a means to promote the sport?

In the event of sanctions being placed on these instruments of prize money - where do we go from here?

Postby Wildey

Yea but at the moment who has money to throw on sponsorship you don't know from one minute to the next who will be locked down next they will have to tighten the belts, so they come out the other side still trading a hell of a lot of firms are finished in a lot of sectors.