Post a reply

Re: Is snooker the toughest sport

Postby Pink Ball

Sauce321 wrote:
rekoons wrote:I do think the top level snooker skills and dedication required are more demanding than the other Sports. But that’s just my biased opinion bases on a Tiny bit of experience in snooker and none of the other sports. :grin
:

My cousin was a Formula 1 driver, but he stopped because it was time consuming and also the wife wasn't really happy about it.

I hope he didn't switch to skiing.

Postby Ck147

Sauce321 wrote:
rekoons wrote:I do think the top level snooker skills and dedication required are more demanding than the other Sports. But that’s just my biased opinion bases on a Tiny bit of experience in snooker and none of the other sports. :grin
:

My cousin was a Formula 1 driver, but he stopped because it was time consuming and also the wife wasn't really happy about it.

Is your cousin Palmer?

Postby Ck147

Sauce321 wrote:https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

You can find "billiards" but not snooker nor F1 here.

Seems a bit old, I would put triathlon up near the top, but doesn't even feature. Endurance numbers don't seem balanced either, cycling and Nordic skiing should be well ahead of anything else in the list (in the era I think this list was created the top ten fittest endurance athletes - based on VO2 max - were 9 cyclists and one Nordic skier). There was a show on TV about 4-5 years ago where they put people from different sports through various physical and mental exercises, top 4 consisted of 3 triathletes and a boxer.

If they list billiards then they should also include tiddley winks and top trumps...maybe even cluedo too as I just beat my daughters and feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Sauce321 wrote:
:

Is your cousin Palmer?

My money is on Roland Ratzenburger or Sébastien Buemi

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:...maybe even cluedo too as I just beat my daughters and feeling pretty pleased with myself.

With the candlestick?

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:...maybe even cluedo too as I just beat my daughters and feeling pretty pleased with myself.

With the candlestick?

No, lead pipe. Please don't say anything if you see it on the news tomorrow as I'm going to blame the missus who I think did it in the billiards room.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Another serious thread trolled.

Hmmm, hardly serious. Snooker isn't even a sport, it's a game.

Postby Alex0paul

Ck147 wrote:

Thats a bannable statement

Postby rekoons

What about olympic weightlifting and such? Couples brutal Strength with perfect technique and timing. They need to get down in a most uncomfortable position, tense every muscle in their Body, then in a splitsecond convince their body to lift unimaginable weights from a standstill. technique plays a more vital Role in succesfull lifting than strength alone. Not getting the timing right means a certain missed lift or worse, injury.

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:What about olympic weightlifting and such? Couples brutal Strength with perfect technique and timing. They need to get down in a most uncomfortable position, tense every muscle in their Body, then in a splitsecond convince their body to lift unimaginable weights from a standstill. technique plays a more vital Role in succesfull lifting than strength alone. Not getting the timing right means a certain missed lift or worse, injury.

This thread has confirmed snooker is way easier than most other sports.

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:
rekoons wrote:What about olympic weightlifting and such? Couples brutal Strength with perfect technique and timing. They need to get down in a most uncomfortable position, tense every muscle in their Body, then in a splitsecond convince their body to lift unimaginable weights from a standstill. technique plays a more vital Role in succesfull lifting than strength alone. Not getting the timing right means a certain missed lift or worse, injury.

This thread has confirmed snooker is way easier than most other sports.

That was not what i meant! Lol

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:

I never understand why people get so upset about this as a distinction.

I'm always getting people going; "I don't consider snooker a sport, I consider it a game." I just go; "And?"

It's usually then followed by an explanation along the lines of; "I'm not insulting it or saying it doesn't require skill, or that you shouldn't enjoy it. I just don't consider it a sport." To which I reply; "If you don't think it should make any difference to me, why are you bothering to tell me at all?"

What difference does it make what you call it?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Guys like Mark Allen and Stephen Lee could have a career in snooker, pool and darts. And that's probably it. They would have a heart attack even trying to compete in another sport.

Postby TheSaviour

The toughest sport is the one where they basically all down the bottle of reds, many of them. It can cause some arguments over what´s the great weather and what´s not. It can cause sporting the glasses even when absolutely no need to. Just to look from smart to intelligent. It can cause a lot´s of people gathering around and arguing they all are exatcly just like you when nothing else matches or clicks than sporting the same colour of jacket or a shirt than you are. t can cause making some further promises. It can cause to argue there only is either a family or an entertaiment, choose between those two, and make those different kind of picks many times over the one day. It can cause making exactly the opposite decisions than what would be decent. It can cause to refuse to sport the colours of which they have just found that actually are neutral. That can´t do then, anymore. No no no. And downing something else than the bottle of reds just can´t do. It´s not posh.

The toughest sport is the one where they all chase down just a one people, only to deny the whole thing ever existing.

So...……

It may very well be. Posh.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:People always throw the lack of physical exertion thing in when saying it's not a sport.

To be honest, I can kind of see the point. I mean, if some guy had been down the club playing snooker or playing darts in the pub, you wouldn't say that guy was sporty, would you?

Then again, you get Sunday league players playing with hangovers and going for a takeaway afterwards.

At the end of the day, televised snooker/darts is as referred as a sport for sake of classification. I mean, you don't complain when one of them is televised on a sports channel, do you? It would look weirder if it was on a movie channel

Postby carayip

Holden Chinaski wrote:Guys like Mark Allen and Stephen Lee could have a career in snooker, pool and darts. And that's probably it. They would have a heart attack even trying to compete in another sport.

I am not sure about that. Shaun Murphy is not dissimilar in size and apparently he could compete in a professional golf tournament

Postby carayip

With enough training, I reckon most darts players would be pretty good at archery or gun shooting as well, all traditional Olympics sports

I reckon guys like Allen and Lee could be trained to be a wrestler as well

Postby Sauce321

Dan-cat wrote:People always throw the lack of physical exertion thing in when saying it's not a sport.

If it's on Eurosport, it is a sport.

Postby SnookerFan

Sauce321 wrote:

If it's on Eurosport, it is a sport.

What's that dopey thing that Eurosport put on with dopey clips to music?

Postby Ck147

carayip wrote:With enough training, I reckon most darts players would be pretty good at archery or gun shooting as well, all traditional Olympics sports

I reckon guys like Allen and Lee could be trained to be a wrestler as well

Who would you rather watch wrestling:

Big Daddy Allen vs Giant Lee Stacks
Or
Murphy Savage vs Cold Stone Maguire
Or
Thunder from Down Under vs The Juddernaut

(Remember they'll all be wearing leotards so choose wisely.)

Postby Ck147

Who's snooker nickname do you think also makes a good wrestler name?

I'm going with Neil "Thunder from Down Under" Robertson, his favourite move is the Piledriver that sends a ripple of thunder through the audience.