Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan: Snooker's Roger Federer

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:All agreed? - Ronnie did buck all for the game.

Personally, I think that is a little harsh but I am willing to agree in order to avoid further arguments

Agreed. Ronnie did buck all for the game.

rofl rofl rofl

Wow, you don't need to laugh about it, sometimes great players come along but don't actually have a long lasting impact on the game, it happens.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie changed the game as much as Hendry and Davis. Judd wouldn't be the player he is without Ronnie. Same with Selby, Ding, and so much more players. You all know it. You just dislike him. That's OK. People didn't give Davis and Hendry much respect when they were playing either. People like Reardon, Hendry, Everton, give Ronnie the respect he deserves. If you can't see that Ronnie created a new style of playing that influenced new generations, you need to pay more attention.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie changed the game as much as Hendry and Davis. Judd wouldn't be the player he is without Ronnie. Same with Selby, Ding, and so much more players. You all know it. You just dislike him. That's OK. People didn't give Davis and Hendry much respect when they were playing either. People like Reardon, Hendry, Everton, give Ronnie the respect he deserves. If you can't see that Ronnie created a new style of playing that influenced new generations, you need to pay more attention.

I think it’s pretty clear I don’t dislike Ronnie. I just disagree that he changed the game as much as Davis or Hendry.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie changed the game as much as Hendry and Davis. Judd wouldn't be the player he is without Ronnie. Same with Selby, Ding, and so much more players. You all know it. You just dislike him. That's OK. People didn't give Davis and Hendry much respect when they were playing either. People like Reardon, Hendry, Everton, give Ronnie the respect he deserves. If you can't see that Ronnie created a new style of playing that influenced new generations, you need to pay more attention.

I think it’s pretty clear I don’t dislike Ronnie. I just disagree that he changed the game as much as Davis or Hendry.

STFU Iranu.

Just joking. :hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

Even as an older player he is still a student of the game, looking to learn.

Suddenly his long game got better two years ago because he watched how Judd and Robbo were holding their cue on long balls.

I believe that Ronnie has played the game to a higher standard than anyone before (15 x 147s?) and that will be his legacy.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Majority of the snooker players have Ronnie as their idol and he's inspired pretty much everyone in China including Ding. You can't do that if your game is the same as everyone else's there has to be something different to pull fans/players towards his game.

Hendry said Ronnie is the only player he'd pay to watch. If Ronnie was the same as everyone else then Hendry would pay to watch every attacking player for example.

There's a reason why Ronnie's gets called a genius and a one-off thousand of times.

What makes him unique than everyone else is he's been able to be a serial winner as well as a flair player, Snooker has never seen this type of combination you were either one or the other, there was never any middle ground. As Higgins said, Ronnie was able to combine Hendry's and Alex Higgins' qualities.

Postby TheRocket

Erza Scarlet wrote:
What makes him unique than everyone else is he's been able to be a serial winner as well as a flair player, Snooker has never seen this type of combination you were either one or the other, there was never any middle ground. As Higgins said, Ronnie was able to combine Hendry's and Alex Higgins' qualities.

+1

And that is/will be his biggest legacy imo.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:

+1

And that is/will be his biggest legacy imo.

+2 :bowdown: :win: :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

Personally, I think that is a little harsh but I am willing to agree in order to avoid further arguments

rofl rofl rofl

Of course he added to the game his amazing skill and speed is phenominal but lets not confuse that with Changing mind set of players going forward

@holden

regarding Steve Davis what he added wasent tactics there was plenty of brilliant tacticians before him He added proffesiolism and dedication to practice past players didnt have.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

Of course he added to the game his amazing skill and speed is phenominal but lets not confuse that with Changing mind set of players going forward

@holden

regarding Steve Davis what he added wasent tactics there was plenty of brilliant tacticians before him He added proffesiolism and dedication to practice past players didnt have.

I think Ray Reardon had it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

There's an interview with Davis where he talks about Ray Reardon being his role model. All the great players were inspired by the greats before them and built on that just like Ronnie did.

Postby Holden Chinaski

If you think Ronnie had no incredible impact on the game you either haven't been paying attention or you let your dislike of his personality cloud your judgement, in my opinion.

Postby Wildey

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

@holden

Well he didn't Ray liked a drink and having a laugh he didn't take it seriously Steve treated it as a job that's where he had the edge over his rivels and then by the end of the 80s most players had adopted the same module.

Postby Cloud Strife

Hendry showed the world how to lose 9-0 to Marcus Campbell. That was certainly a game changer.

Unfortunately, nobody else seemed to be able to follow in Stephen's footsteps as far as that goes.

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:If you think Ronnie had no incredible impact on the game you either haven't been paying attention or you let your dislike of his personality cloud your judgement, in my opinion.

+1

Although I plussed one'd this, I don't think anyone, ever would say he hasn't had a tremendous impact on the game.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:If you think Ronnie had no incredible impact on the game you either haven't been paying attention or you let your dislike of his personality cloud your judgement, in my opinion.

100% untrue in my case, and I don’t disagree he’s had an impact on the game.

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

+1

Although I plussed one'd this, I don't think anyone, ever would say he hasn't had a tremendous impact on the game.

...and if they did they should be discounted from the conversation. For being mental.

Postby Juddernaut

O'Sullivan's impact on the Sport has been massive, I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's beyond a joke that he's never even been nominated for SPOTY. Whatever you think of O'Sullivan, Snooker is incredibly lucky to have him.

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut wrote:O'Sullivan's impact on the Sport has been massive, I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's beyond a joke that he's never even been nominated for SPOTY. Whatever you think of O'Sullivan, Snooker is incredibly lucky to have him.

+100

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut wrote:O'Sullivan's impact on the Sport has been massive, I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's beyond a joke that he's never even been nominated for SPOTY. Whatever you think of O'Sullivan, Snooker is incredibly lucky to have him.

SPOTY is the joke.

It's just the BBC Sport's Annual Christmas party. They just invite whatever sports people they want to attend.

I have never taken the ignoring of snooker personally.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

...and yet you take the frequent comparisons to tennis as if the perpetrators had nicked yer granny.

Federer did nick my granny. That's why I am so mad.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

...and yet you take the frequent comparisons to tennis as if the perpetrators had nicked yer granny.

ha! Crafty Swissman.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

He must’ve Federer smooth line to make her leave her family.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

He must’ve Federer smooth line to make her leave her family.

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:

100% untrue in my case, and I don’t disagree he’s had an impact on the game.

that is the mistake thats been made in this discussion we are not talking about a impact made.

Ronnie has made a massive impact but not on how others play the game i dont see a lot out there that can play snooker like Ronnie do you?

Most players play attacking Snooker today and the game has got faster because of Stephen Hendry attacking way of being a winner had Ronnie been on tour earlier than Stephen he probably would have done the same but he wasent.

You guys talking about clever ways of splitting the pack but really Ronnie is out on his own with that because of his unique talent at the end of the day its getting in to the pack at the first opportunity to give yourself best chance to end the frame right there right now and Stephen first brought that in to the game.

Regarding Judd's screw back shots. that's been played for donkeys Judd just plays it better than anyone before him thats not changing anything either hes just good at it.