Post a reply

Looking for material on Bill Werbeniuk

Postby jonornoy

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian filmmaker doing research for a film I'd like to make on Big Bill Werbeniuk, and have been coming up empty so far in my quest to find some interview footage with him. If anyone has any leads on clips or people who may have known him I'd really appreciate the help. Please email me at jon@animalmotherfilms.com

Cheers

Re: Looking for material on Bill Werbeniuk

Postby Dan-cat

Wow. This is an amazing project!!!! Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the film. Love Bill. He was the resident ex-pro at my snooker club in Harrogate in North Yorkshire just after leaving the ranks. Never saw him pot a ball though, he was always at the bar. It would have been around 1990 I guess

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Wow. This is an amazing project!!!! Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the film. Love Bill. He was the resident ex-pro at my snooker club in Harrogate in North Yorkshire just after leaving the ranks. Never saw him pot a ball though, he was always at the bar. It would have been around 1990 I guess

Sounds about right.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Bill is my favourite player and I would love to see this film. The story of the Canadian cuemen is impossibly romantic.

Never seen an interview on youtube but perhaps contact BBC Archive on twitter, or have a look in the Canadian Cuemen thread on here as there is an article whose author may give you some good leads.

Good luck with it!

Postby Wildey

The coverage of the media was never as big as it is today when Bill was around he retired back to canada in 1992 never to be seen again on TV as far as i can remember.

Even in his prime he hardly made any interviews and when he did he was pretty shy so you never got much out of him.

Back then you did not get the pre match interviews you get today it was much more about talking to Steve Davis about winning, Tony Knowles about sex or Alex Higgins about headbutting.

So the quiet ones like Bill didn't get the limelight and i think he liked it like that.

Best bet on having a insight in to Bill is Cliff Thorburn but obviously there are others like Dennis Taylor and John Virgo that could help.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:The coverage of the media was never as big as it is today when Bill was around he retired back to canada in 1992 never to be seen again on TV as far as i can remember.

Even in his prime he hardly made any interviews and when he did he was pretty shy so you never got much out of him.

Back then you did not get the pre match interviews you get today it was much more about talking to Steve Davis about winning, Tony Knowles about sex or Alex Higgins about headbutting.

So the quiet ones like Bill didn't get the limelight and i think he liked it like that.

Best bet on having a insight in to Bill is Cliff Thorburn but obviously there are others like Dennis Taylor and John Virgo that could help.

I'd be inclined to think Wildey is right with the players he's named there. But I think contacting Clive Everton might be the best starting point of the lot. He'd know exactly the best sources, well-known or otherwise.