Post a reply

Re: Snooker Specific Words

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:There are some words and phrases that are rarely used other than in snooker commentary like 'hampered'.

Any more?

Hampered is widely used outside snooker, do you get outside much BSP?

I take back the last part of my previous comment, I was in "being a sausage" mood last night and shouldn't have said that. My ability to write a nice comment was hampered by my mood. No offence intended BSP.

No offence taken at all - all good spirit.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:How about:

Baulk
Respot
Cue

I baulk at your first suggestion.
Last night I cue'd up a film to watch on Netflix.

I'll give you Respot. But it did use to be in common usage as a military term - repositioning of vehicles.

Actually you “queued” up a film to watch on Netflix ;-) (you were probably taking the snake hiss there but still)

I didn’t realise ‘balk’ could also be spelt ‘baulk’, I’ll retract that one.

That’s interesting about the military, I can’t find any reference to it. I wonder which came first!

No. You cue a record, cue a videotape, cue a film on Netflix. You can add a film to a queue. That's different.

Re the respot: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Respot

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Baulk
Respot
Cue

I'll give you Respot. But it did use to be in common usage as a military term - repositioning of vehicles.

Actually you “queued” up a film to watch on Netflix ;-) (you were probably taking the snake hiss there but still)

That’s interesting about the military, I can’t find any reference to it. I wonder which came first!

No. You cue a record, cue a videotape, cue a film on Netflix. You can add a film to a queue. That's different.

I have heard the word 'respot' mentioned on football commentaries, especially during penalty shootouts.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Baulk
Respot
Cue

Ha, having looked it up I think we may both be right. To add something to a queue can also be used as a verb to queue (example given was with printing) but as you say, cue is used when lining records etc up to play.

Interesting stuff. I also learnt that it comes from old French meaning tail.

I tried that link but it says there’s nothing listed for respot. I’ll look into it later.

Postby Iranu

Yeah that worked, thanks.

Interesting stuff, didn’t know the word was used in manufacturing either.

Love learning things like this.

Postby HustleKing

mick745 wrote:Hit and hope.

Actually this is used very frequently in other sports, interchangeably with the term "Hail Mary"

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Half butt

Yeah it sounds like an ass split in half rofl

The term "kiss" always amuses me, rest and plant too.

Postby lhpirnie

How about 'ranking points' and 'ranking tournaments' (or 'ranker' if you prefer). These are hugely flawed concepts, and are completely undermiming the structure of the game, but they are used in almost every single discussion about snooker results.