Post a reply

How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Roughly the same number as he played last season
86%
Just the Shanghai Masters and 3-4 other "low-key events"
7%
Just the Shanghai Masters
No votes
None
7%

Total votes : 14

Re: How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:He's playing an exhibition at my snooker club soon

Does he get in the Champion Of Champions for that?

Should it be a Ranking Event?

More so than The Shoot Out.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie just tweeted the following, in response to a question about whether he will play the UK and Masters this season:

I can’t promise anything with my schedule.. a lot of it comes down to priority’s, and managing my career the best way for me..

There's no way he aint gonna play the UK or Masters. He even bothered to travel to China to play the Shanghai Masters. I don't think his schedule will look much different than last years.

Assuming he'll qualify for the Players and Tour Championship obviously.

His schedulle will be similar to last year I agree.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:

What is/are the date/s?

https://ronnieo147.com/upcoming-exhibit ... uary-2020/

1. Do you have tickets to the event?

2. Your snooker club is called "The O'Sullivans Snooker Club"? I knew you were a closet Ronnie fan...

1. Nah - saving my money for the James Cahill exhibition in Feb.
2. Yes it is but it is actually named after a previous owner (somewhat fortuitously)

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:

What is/are the date/s?

https://ronnieo147.com/upcoming-exhibit ... uary-2020/

1. Do you have tickets to the event?

2. Your snooker club is called "The O'Sullivans Snooker Club"? I knew you were a closet Ronnie fan...

It could've been named after Sean O'Sullivan.

Postby Ck147

I reckon similar to last year, all those saying he gets appearance fee's, really? For the pro tour? Where's the evidence? (I'm happy to be educated!)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:I reckon similar to last year, all those saying he gets appearance fee's, really? For the pro tour? Where's the evidence? (I'm happy to be educated!)

I thought he used to get appearance money for China but I - like you - have no evidence for this.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ck147 wrote:I reckon similar to last year, all those saying he gets appearance fee's, really? For the pro tour? Where's the evidence? (I'm happy to be educated!)

I thought he used to get appearance money for China but I - like you - have no evidence for this.

I know he does for China tournaments, the rest havent a clue

Postby SnookerFan

Much though I like Ding, and could see why the Chinese would want him in their tournaments, I don't think it's fair any players getting entrance fees for tournaments. And I'd say that about any player.

What incentive is there to try hard in a tournament, if you can turn up and get paid heavily even if you lose in the first round?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:Much though I like Ding, and could see why the Chinese would want him in their tournaments, I don't think it's fair any players getting entrance fees for tournaments. And I'd say that about any player.

What incentive is there to try hard in a tournament, if you can turn up and get paid heavily even if you lose in the first round?

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Much though I like Ding, and could see why the Chinese would want him in their tournaments, I don't think it's fair any players getting entrance fees for tournaments. And I'd say that about any player.

How does that make it unfair? Either they’ll try hard anyway, or they’ll lose motivation and be beaten.

If the latter happens then I doubt lower ranked players would be complaining.

Although that money could be better spent helping lower ranked players with accommodation etc, that’s obviously not going to happen.

Aren’t appearance fees a pretty normal thing in sport?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Aren’t appearance fees a pretty normal thing in sport?

No idea to be fair, but if they are I don't agree with it there either.

I have a feeling a few people said that it happens in tennis, but if it does happen it shouldn't.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Aren’t appearance fees a pretty normal thing in sport?

No idea to be fair, but if they are I don't agree with it there either.

I have a feeling a few people said that it happens in tennis, but if it does happen it shouldn't.

It's commonplace in golf and tennis.

Personally, I don't have any issues with it.

Postby SnookerFan

Ah yes, golf and tennis. The two sports snooker desperately wants to be like. :zzz:

I just think the money could be used to do something more constructive than paying the popular player to turn up.

But you're right, if we're being realistic that isn't going to happen. The business side to the sport wants bums in seats, and will want the big/popular names there. If Ding gets appearance fees, than he'll get them. My disliking it won't change anything.

Just never seems right to me, somehow. I mean, it's not like they can't get money through sponsorship or whatever. They shouldn't be getting extra prize money just for turning up.

Postby Iranu

The money comes from the tournament sponsors who have no incentive to put it towards more productive things for the tour (although you’d imagine the publicity of a sponsor, say, paying for hotel rooms for players would be pretty good).

I’m not sure how I feel about it. My gut reaction is that it probably shouldn’t happen, but then I also don’t think it makes any difference to how the player performs. Well, except Ronnie sometimes. So I don’t think it matters that much and I don’t see how it’s any different to a player getting paid for putting a company badge on his waistcoat.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:The money comes from the tournament sponsors who have no incentive to put it towards more productive things for the tour (although you’d imagine the publicity of a sponsor, say, paying for hotel rooms for players would be pretty good).

I’m not sure how I feel about it. My gut reaction is that it probably shouldn’t happen, but then I also don’t think it makes any difference to how the player performs. Well, except Ronnie sometimes. So I don’t think it matters that much and I don’t see how it’s any different to a player getting paid for putting a company badge on his waistcoat.

No, you're right.

I mean I'm not saying it's a huge massive deal.

But it does seem wrong somehow.

Postby Ck147

If it does happen, I don't think it's right for ranking events, for other types of events I can understand why they would do it to attract the best. But not overly fussed, just interested if it really happened or not.

Postby Lemnas

Ck147 wrote:If it does happen, I don't think it's right for ranking events, for other types of events I can understand why they would do it to attract the best.

+1
I don't understand why the sponsors wouldn't just put their money into the official prize fund. Every top player (except Ronnie maybe) would play in a £1000000 tournament anyway, even without appearance fee.

Postby Iranu

Lemnas wrote:
Ck147 wrote:If it does happen, I don't think it's right for ranking events, for other types of events I can understand why they would do it to attract the best.

+1
I don't understand why the sponsors wouldn't just put their money into the official prize fund. Every top player (except Ronnie maybe) would play in a £1000000 tournament anyway, even without appearance fee.

I’d imagine Ronnie, Judd and Ding are the only players who might get appearance fees from some tournaments.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Lemnas wrote:

+1

I’d imagine Ronnie, Judd and Ding are the only players who might get appearance fees from some tournaments.

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Lemnas wrote:

+1

rofl

PATHETIC!

Postby Iranu

rofl To clarify, Cloud: I wouldn’t necessarily expect him to have received appearance fees before now, although he does seem relatively popular in China judging from his crowds so I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he has.

But if he keeps playing to the level of last season and the start of this, I can see him getting them.