Post a reply

Atacking Safety Play.

Postby Wildey

Last night Ray Reardon in a interview with Rishi Persaud hinted that in his Day Safety play was more Attacking on the whole than it is Today.. Players are more Negative Today.

today the potting is better the balls open more on the whole so players are scared of Attacking with safeties i guess ?

what do others think ?

Re: Atacking Safety Play.

Postby Bourne

I can't really speak for the 70s and 80s because I wasn't around at that time. Could it be to do with money in the game, players are just so scared to leave opponents easy chances, they'd rather wait for mistakes and not 'throw' matches away ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I can't really speak for the 70s and 80s because I wasn't around at that time. Could it be to do with money in the game, players are just so scared to leave opponents easy chances, they'd rather wait for mistakes and not 'throw' matches away ?

i dont think players are more negative in the way they play safety these days to the 80s for example i wasent around in the 70s as a snooker fan though lol

there are some negativity but on the whole its very similar and the reason selby takes time on certain shots is so he can atack more with his safety play.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:I can't really speak for the 70s and 80s because I wasn't around at that time. Could it be to do with money in the game, players are just so scared to leave opponents easy chances, they'd rather wait for mistakes and not 'throw' matches away ?

i dont think players are more negative in the way they play safety these days to the 80s for example i wasent around in the 70s as a snooker fan though lol

there are some negativity but on the whole its very similar and the reason selby takes time on certain shots is so he can atack more with his safety play.

He may well have a point but in his day, one chance Snooker wasn't heard off & the probability of your opponent winning the frame with one oppotunity was highly unlikely.

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

He may well have a point but in his day, one chance Snooker wasn't heard off & the probability of your opponent winning the frame with one oppotunity was highly unlikely.

yes you had more scope to leave on a long pot back then yes there was great long potters but im guessing not as consistant as today so length = safties.