Post a reply

Name That Shot Quiz - Answers!

Postby Roland

1)

Answer: Alex Higgins in the 1982 World semi-final, one of the shots in his 69 break at 15-14 down to Jimmy White. 2min 20 in this clip:

2)

Answer: Jimmy White in the 1984 Masters semi-final against Kirk Stevens (another shot from this match featured later)

3)

Answer: Steve Davis in the 1985 World Championship final. An obvious one! See 7 for clip.

4)

Answer: Ronnie O'Sullivan in the 2008 World Championship 2nd round during his 147 against Mark Williams. 7 min 10sec in this clip:

5)

Answer: Stephen Maguire in the 2008 UK final against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

6)

Answer: Yes it was Willie Thorne's famous missed blue in the 1985 UK final against Steve Davis. A pivotal moment as it would have given him an unassailable 14-8 lead but it was all the encouragement Steve Davis needed!

7)

Answer: Dennis Taylor in the 1985 World Championship final. See this shot and answer number 3 in the same clip (from 4min 40sec):

8)

Answer: a tough one. It was Alex Higgins in the 1990 Irish Masters against Dennis Taylor. The shot is at 3mins 20 but it's worth watching the first 3 minutes to see what it was all about!

9)

Answer: Mark Selby in the 2009 Masters final, a key shot which enabled him to get back into the match and stop Ronnie O'Sullivan running away with it, also a fine example of the appeal of the man.

10)

Answer: Jimmy White's shot of the championship from 1992 in his 147 against Tony Drago in round 1. 6min 09 in this clip:

11)

Answer: Alex Higgins in the 1982 World Final. Not an obvious one but it's the shot that kick started his 135 break at 17-15 against Ray Reardon. He had to stop the white on a sixpence to land on the black. The shot can be seen at 3 minutes in this clip:

12)

Answer: Rather than the obvious shot which followed, it was Terry Griffiths shot which set up Cliff Thorburn's 147 in the 1983 World Championship 2nd round. A trick question but it was gettable <laugh> First shot:

13)

Answer: Ken Doherty in the 2000 Masters final. He was on a break of 140 at the time <doh> 4 minutes in this clip:

14)

Answer: Jimmy White in the 1994 World Championship final at 17-17. You know the one, we don't need reminding so I'll leave this answer clipless. Needless to say you can see how well the balls were sitting for Hendry!

15)

Answer: Stephen Hendry's missed re-spot black in the 1998 Masters final against Mark Williams. I can't find a clip, this is from memory so is the least accurate representation :redneck:

16)

Answer: Stephen Hendry in the 1992 World final. I've heard this shot talked about a lot so I had to remind myself of it. It came when the score was 14-9 to Jimmy White and meant he was still in with a shout going into the final session. Do or die at its best. 2min 18 in this clip:

17)

Answer: one of my all time favourite shots. Stephen Hendry on his way to the 147 he made in the 2009 World Championships quarter-final.

18)

Answer: It's a youtube classic! It's Bill Werbeniuk in the 1985 World Championships first round against Joe Johnson:

19)

Answer: Neil Robertson against John Higgins in the 2009 Grand Prix semi-final. An attempted double which landed in an impossible situation for John Higgins and which handed the Aussie the match and he went on to win the final. 7 mins 40 in this clip:

20)

Answer: John Higgins fluked black during his 147 in the LG Cup final of 2003. 6 mins 30:

21)

Answer: Stephen Hendry in his first Crucible 147 in the 1995 World Championship semi-final against Jimmy White. And this is also the answer to question 24. 10 mins 20 in this clip:

22)

Answer: Graeme Dott in the 2006 World Championship final against Peter Ebdon. This plant kick started a frame winning break when 60 points behind and took him to within 1 frame of a World title. 2 minutes in this clip:

23)

Answer: Kirk Stevens during his 147 break at the Masters in 1984 against Jimmy White. 2 mins 30 in this clip:

24)

Answer: Two shots after answer 21

25)

Answer: Ronnie O'Sullivan in the 2001 World Championships 2nd round, famous for being the Shot of the Championship that year and much talked about. 2 mins 15 in this clip: