Post a reply

Re: Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a ranking event final

Postby Johnny Bravo

What a stupid post. <doh>

It's not like Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a big match. He has a superior H2H. And they've only played 3 ranking finals, that's not that much. If they would have played 7, 8 or more u could have a point, but as it stands, it's irrelevant.

2008 - Ronnie lost it, Selbo didn't win it.
2014 WC - again, Ronnie wasted a good lead.
2016 UK - Selbo played a good first session and ROS was poor. Selbo deserved to win.

Postby Ace

TheRocket wrote:I agree that from Ronnies point of view its quite a poor stat, losing three ranking finals to Selby. But on the other hand he defeated him in two Mastersfinals. Ranker or not but its a much bigger occasion than a Welsh Open final. I even dare to say, bigger than an UK final.

But more importantly. Ronnie has a leading H2H against Selby.

Yeah because of Premier league and CL matches looooooooooooooooooooool

two Masters finals is countered by a master final win from Selby himself and 2016 UK final, then you got an extra ranking event win (Welsh) AND ON TOP a world championship win.

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:Stephen Hendry's primary claim to GOAT status is that he beat Jimmy White a bunch of times.

7 world titles is what made him GOAT, Ronnie doesn't have the luxury of reaching 7 after so many attempts. Can you imagine Hendry losing to Carter/Cahill/Bingham?

Postby D4P

Ace wrote:
D4P wrote:Stephen Hendry's primary claim to GOAT status is that he beat Jimmy White a bunch of times.

7 world titles is what made him GOAT, Ronnie doesn't have the luxury of reaching 7 after so many attempts. Can you imagine Hendry losing to Carter/Cahill/Bingham?

No need to imagine Hendry losing to Carter or Bingham. He lost to Carter at the 2007 World Championship, and to Bingham at the 2000 World Championship.

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:Stephen Hendry had a losing record to Mark Selby, too. Selby had a 10-5 advantage overall, including 7-4 in real matches.

Yeah, so fair, I mean Hendry was definitely in his peak after 2008/2009.

At least I used the matches Ronnie lost when Ronnie was in good form (2008 he was a 2x tc winner and 2012-2014, probably best sustained form), winning tournamens and generally making everyone else **** the bed apart from Selby.

Postby Ace

As I said, Federer beat Nadal at the AO 2017 after getting hammered for years through grand slam matches, that's a sign of a GOAT and he actually has all the records too. Records + getting a big win over a big occasion over your biggest rival.

Ronnie has neither.
Last edited by Ace on 25 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Ace wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I agree that from Ronnies point of view its quite a poor stat, losing three ranking finals to Selby. But on the other hand he defeated him in two Mastersfinals. Ranker or not but its a much bigger occasion than a Welsh Open final. I even dare to say, bigger than an UK final.

Wrong again. Even without the Premier League and CL he's leading the H2H. Something like 13:9. Even if you dont count the PTC matches its 9:7 for the Rocket.

Postby Ace

TheRocket wrote:
Ace wrote:

Wrong again. Even without the Premier League and CL he's leading the H2H. Something like 13:9. Even if you dont count the PTC matches its 9:7 for the Rocket.

As I said, Federer beat Nadal at the AO 2017 after getting hammered for years through grand slam matches, that's a sign of a GOAT and he actually has all the records too. Records + getting a big win over a big occasion over your biggest rival.

Ronnie has neither.

Ronnie needs to beat Selby in a WC final.

Postby TheRocket

To be fair. It makes me laugh that Ace brings up Federer here. I'm a big Federerfan as you can see but its pretty obvious his record against Nadal is rubbish. 15:24 overall, 3:10 in slams. 0:6 at the French Open.

I'm pretty sure if Ronnie had a H2H record like that against any of his big rivals Ace would bring that up all the time.

As it stands he uses Federers poor H2H against Nadal to bash Ronnie for his far better H2H against Selby. And apparently a Mastersfinal isnt a big occasion either.

Makes sense.

Postby D4P

Ronnie was 38 years old when he lost the 2014 World final to Selby, and 41 when he lost the 2016 UK final to Selby.

Stephen Hendry didn't make it to a World final after the age of 33, and didn't make it to a UK final past the age of 37.

Postby TheSaviour

Wow, that´s an interesting piece of a statistic, thanks!

Otherwise, please tell me this all is just a bad joke or a nightmare which is very soon going to end. All the people are daily checking out and watching it when some young kid finds 3 ways to build lego. Some young kid who, yes, has some vision, yes, but nothing even extraordinary. And then suddenly those builds has to do with anything that goes on and the people need to go on from there. Building lego, yes, we all has done that, a great way to grow up. Needless to even mention how good it is if a kid knows how to solve a Rubik´s cube also... That vision. Wow! That actually is great. But come on, making that as a worldwide media-stream, and hoping that everyone could learn something out of it.

The great thing about the sport of snooker is that no-one can be everpresent. Most of the truly great players just do show up and play some stuff where an opponent can only state that he or she where on all over shop. No bell ends, please. But Ronnie still is my favourite thinker out there. He can come up with "those" analyses. Truly a great thinker. A bit of a bell end while playing, I know. But with him there still is some hope. He doesn´t quite play any "total snooker". Luckily. I am just waiting Ronnie to have to a press conference where he tells that he is going to do it all rather sooner than later now... But still no "total snooker", no no.

Funnily enough, years ago I used to work for the Chiquita a few years. I loved that yellow short, just as much i do love the bananas. Those are nothing too serious food but keeps you going for that one last day still... Fits for my plans. I loved that yellow shirt as then I used to be just me. And no-one else. Yes, the people were laughing and pointing but I love it like that. The people are just going for it, no double-standards. They couldn´t imitate even me. The snooker used to be great also during those times. Ronnie was a great thinker and he did it all while playing without being a bell end.

The Danish are wise and great as they have the legos. Tetris is just pathetic. I used to be a cracking player and still am, but I truly regret all it. As it makes you lacking all the vision.

When the people are retiring, the only way to go is to get deluded. All the young guns just going for it, and one can only tell how it used to be and why. Nothing away from Mark Selby if he plays something too good. But that´s only if. Even he knows he just can show up and trying to to be there... Igor, Ng, Stevens, Hull - all truly great players just to show up and... Even Ronnie will have to think it while that how good it was, even when no bell ends out there... Hull particularly is an exectional good cueist. The players like Kyren Wilson, Mark Selby, Judd, Hamilton all have learned a lot from him. Just a difficult to admit, I know.

And why Is JACK now representing England??? Wasn´t Hawkins or Bingham, for example, available?

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:It is interesting that Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a ranking event final. Ronnie definitely should have won two of those matches though.

Interesting statistic, but not a particularly meaningful one.

Ronnie has beaten Selby in two Masters final. Once by a large margin. (10-4). To suggest then that he's never beaten Mark Selby on the biggest stage is clearly bogus. You could argue that the Masters final, despite not being a ranking event, is still a bigger stage than the Welsh Open final.

It's a bit like when Mark Selby had won The Masters multiple times, but in terms of ranking events had only won the Welsh Open. People used to come on here deliberately ignoring the Masters wins. Saying; "Selby's only won one ranking event" as if that proved something.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:You could argue that the Masters final, despite not being a ranking event, is still a bigger stage than the Welsh Open final.

That’s not just an argument, it’s fact.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:You could argue that the Masters final, despite not being a ranking event, is still a bigger stage than the Welsh Open final.

That’s not just an argument, it’s fact.

The Masters is bigger than the UK too. Although I'd consider the pre 2012 UK to be better.