Post a reply

Re: Higgins Match Fixing Stuff

Postby Roland

Yes I was trying to keep this off the forum but the evidence is there now in the public domain.

I was talking to Pat Mooney outside the Crucible last week and came away feeling very encouraged. Now I feel beyond sad. Graeme Dott is managed by him too Alex.

Postby Casey

What do people make of the fact that this was only going to go on in the world series?

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:Yes I was trying to keep this off the forum but the evidence is there now in the public domain.

I was talking to Pat Mooney outside the Crucible last week and came away feeling very encouraged. Now I feel beyond sad. Graeme Dott is managed by him too Alex.

I know. I am praying Dott hasn't done anything like this either especially considering what he had been through the last few years and may have not been thinking properly.

Another thing is this could affect the vote because players won't be able to trust the board if Mooney is on it.

Postby Bourne

My throat's gone dry thinking about it, I feel sick, the timing, the people involved, the money involved ... it's just despicable.

Postby Casey

1. there is no suggestion that Higgins has ever done this before never mind Dott
2. Mooney will not be on the board come time for the vote
3.Whilst no match/frame fixing is right, at least they were going to keep it away from the proper events and limit it to the world series… they were adamant on this.

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:3.Whilst no match/frame fixing is right, at least they were going to keep it away from the proper events and limit it to the world series… they were adamant on this.

well the think is its out now and there will be no trust anymore, doesn't mater what type of match it is, fixing is fixing

Postby Bourne

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... sting.html

Of course, this is only the newspaper's side of things and I would like to hear Higgins and Mooney's before passing judgement.

However, this is potentially the biggest scandal ever to hit the game and needs to be dealt with urgently, not least to safeguard snooker's public image whatever the truth of the allegations.

Mooney's position on the WPBSA board is untenable. He has to resign to protect the integrity of the sport.

There should be a disciplinary hearing convened as soon as possible, preferably conducted independently of this WPBSA administration or any other.

Higgins - and Mooney - could then present their side of the story and explain themselves. Video evidence gathered by the newspaper should also be studied.

Sympathy should be with Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott, who are about to play the biggest match of the year in the shadow of this grubby tale.

Well said Dave.

Postby Casey

well higgins will get a ban, quinten hann did for the same, weather its world seris
or pro tour fixing is fixing

Not necessarily, if he fixed a game done at the local club could the WPBSA ban him then? nope. i am not saying he shouldn't be banned, however as they were staying away from WBPSA events the board might be helpless in this situation.

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/05/john-higgins-accused-in-bribe-sting.html

Sympathy should be with Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott, who are about to play the biggest match of the year in the shadow of this grubby tale.

Well said Dave.

im gutted, and poor neil and greame, how are they gonna cope?

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:
well higgins will get a ban, quinten hann did for the same, weather its world seris

Not necessarily, if he fixed a game done at the local club could the WPBSA ban him then? nope. i am not saying he shouldn't be banned, however as they were staying away from WBPSA events the board might be helpless in this situation.

but its also now a trust issue esspecially with a board member from wpbsa involved it doesnt look good, this is gonna cause a back lash

Postby Tubberlad

I've watched the video, and this is beyond sickening. He's the games greatest ambassador, and I though the soundest of the lot. What he has done is going to bring the sport right back down at a time when it was finally climbing to new heights.

I'm not shocked that there's matchfixing within the sport, we've know that and the whole gentlemanly image is all a bit put on with the game. But HIGGINS? It beggars belief. If the board can't do anything about it, then Higgins should retire. His reputation and career is in tatters as far as I can see. Maybe some may feel I'm going over the top, but it doesn't matter who's involved...

Postby Tubberlad

And comiserations to Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott to have to play the biggest match of their lives amid something like this.

Postby Casey

My own personal opinion is that he works to make amends

Donating all his future snooker earning to charity would be a start.

Is match fixing disgraceful – yes and he should be punished

Is fixing matches on the world series as bad as fixing matches on the pro WPBSA tour….no imo

Is a ban on the WPBSA tour appropriate given they were not going to throw matches on their tournaments? Well I haven’t made my mind up yet

Postby Bourne

thetubberlad wrote:And comiserations to Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott to have to play the biggest match of their lives amid something like this.

Sums up my thoughts.

Postby Casey

thetubberlad wrote:And comiserations to Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott to have to play the biggest match of their lives amid something like this.

Yes 100% behind the two guys, hopefully they put on a good show tomorrow

Postby Bourne

"Tuesday morning I need to decide if I really want to be involved in this sport any more
4 minutes ago via web "

Hendon :hmm:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

thetubberlad wrote:I'm not shocked that there's matchfixing within the sport, we've know that and the whole gentlemanly image is all a bit put on with the game. But HIGGINS? It beggars belief. If the board can't do anything about it, then Higgins should retire. His reputation and career is in tatters as far as I can see. Maybe some may feel I'm going over the top, but it doesn't matter who's involved...

You're not being over the top. This is it for Higgins there is no way back from this. For a man who has earned as much as him to be getting involved in this, especially at a time when match fixing is a big issue is amazing. Him and Mooney even joke about it being a reporter in the video <doh>

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:"Tuesday morning I need to decide if I really want to be involved in this sport any more
4 minutes ago via web "

he is gutted aswell i see

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:"Tuesday morning I need to decide if I really want to be involved in this sport any more
4 minutes ago via web "

Dave and John are/were good friends.

Postby Monique

case_master wc wrote:

IF, and it's a big IF, this is proved true then Higgins should definitely be banned for life. Fixing is fixing. How are sponsors going to "trust" our sport if this, coming from the World N°1, isn't punished? And remember, betting companies are amongst the main sponsors for snooker. Yes you have to feel for Neil and Graeme, their final overshadowed by this scandal. And how will this impact the 5 May EGM? Mooney is on the board and Higgins has always been a keen Hearn supporter.
SAD, SAD day for snooker.

Postby Rocket_ron

Monique wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

IF, and it's a big IF, this is proved true then Higgins should definitely be banned for life. Fixing is fixing. How are sponsors going to "trust" our sport if this, coming from the World N°1, isn't punished? And remember, betting companies are amongst the main sponsors for snooker. Yes you have to feel for Neil and Graeme, their final overshadowed by this scandal. And how will this impact the 5 May EGM? Mooney is on the board and Higgins has always been a keen Hearn supporter.
SAD, SAD day for snooker.

monique has basically backed up my trust arguement, thanks mon

Postby Roland

Snooker Island was on Mooney's radar too so as well as being gutting because I've always admired Higgins as a straight up bloke, this is doubly surreal and I'm totally gutted.

Postby Bourne

I know this kinda sounds bad but, where does this leave Maguire and Lee's situation, will that get brushed under the carpet now, good time to bury bad news etc ?

Postby Tubberlad

I've just watched Neil Robertson's interview after the match today, and what can I say? He's a lovely, genuine bloke, and you see him tearful at the end. He has had to work so hard... then you hear something like this. Sad, sad stuff.

Postby Casey

Just to spice things up a bit. Higgins deliberately lost a frame in his local club for money should he be banned by the WPBSA?

Postby Casey

Who is the world number 18? If Maguire is chucked out they could get in also <laugh>

Postby Casey

I would also like to pass on my pity to John’s family who will be deeply effect by this. The wife kids and John’s parents.