Post a reply

Re: Teams World Cup Snooker

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:When footballers make themselves unavailable for international duty, there is a certain cross section of English supporters who get irate about it. That you should never say no to representing your country. That somehow its unpatriotic.

Assuming Ronnie doesn't take up his place here, would any English snooker fans feel the same way about his decision?

Football is a team game. Snooker is not. International football is the pinnacle of the sport. The snooker world championships is the pinnacle of that sport. Individual's going for individual glory. Judd Trump isnt representing England in the world championships he is representing himself. If Ronnie acts like a brat he isnt letting his country down he's letting himself down.

Whilst I admit that snooker is usually an individual game, your argument is let down a bit if you impersonate snooker commentators and liken snooker to other individual sports.. golf and tennis, both individual sports normally, have room for the Ryder Cup and the Davis Cup where players used to representing themselves are usually very keen to represent their country or region. These events, in particular the ryder cup are prestigious events despite not being the pinnacle of their sports. I guess I can't see why the same couldn't happen with snooker.

Hell, even pool has the Mosconi Cup.

Postby Wildey

Not a single individual sport has no team comp so why should snooker be different.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Not a single individual sport has no team comp so why should snooker be different.

Yeah it's no different. I think, whilst players obviously want to win, most of them, especially top players, treat it with a bit of fun. The teams that dont have top players in it those are the ones that probably want to make a name of themselves in this.

Postby TheRocket

Its never easy to team up with someone who might be your fierce rival. Could you imagine playing someone day in day out in big matches and then suddenly team up with the guy? I couldn't and wouldnt.

Most topplayers are from England so naturally its more an English 'problem'.

Postby Wildey

Some had to team up with Alex Higgins back in the day. Ask Dennis Taylor how hard that was lol

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Some had to team up with Alex Higgins back in the day. Ask Dennis Taylor how hard that was lol

I will when I see him.

Postby vodkadiet1

Wildey wrote:Some had to team up with Alex Higgins back in the day. Ask Dennis Taylor how hard that was lol

One year, when Tommy Murphy played alongside Higgins for Northern Ireland, Higgins saw Murphy in the Northern Ireland dressing room and didn't know who he was, and thought he was an autograph hunter. He told him to get out!

Postby vodkadiet1

I am with Bill Hicks and George Carlin and I detest patriotism. And that is why I have no interest in any competition in any sport where countries names are involved.