Post a reply

What does Ronnie have left to play for...?

Postby D4P

I read today that Ronnie said something recently about wanting to take a year off from snooker so that he can take culinary classes, and while the chances of him actually doing that seem slim, the idea did get me thinking about what the rest of Ronnie’s snooker career might look like. In particular, I find myself wondering what he has left to play for.

The past few seasons have given Ronnie a lot of obvious targets in the record books to aim for, and he has succeeded in hitting most of them. He’s now at a point where (unless I’m forgetting something) there are really only 2 big targets left to aim for (Hendry’s 36 ranking titles and 7 WCs), and given that Ronnie has probably decided that he won’t ever win as many as 7 WCs, and given that he only needs 1 more ranking title to pass Hendry, it would seem that he doesn’t have much to play for now. Other than perhaps “the love of the game”, but even that is a bit of a stretch given how much he talks about how he can’t wait to retire and be done with snooker altogether.

Maybe it’s not too far-fetched to think that Ronnie would take another year off from snooker to do something else, since he doesn’t seem to care too much about winning the events that he has been winning and since he doesn’t have much left to play for now anyway…

Re: What does Ronnie have left to play for...?

Postby TheRocket

I think its his fans who want to see him winning all those big titles and dominate the game. I dont think the man himself has any ambitions to do that. He knows he doesnt have many more years left to play at the highest level and if he can still put up a great performance here and there and win some titles he'll be happy with that.

In my ideal world Ronnie would win one more world title and then retire after that. What a classy way that would be to leave the game.

Postby Erza Scarlet

It keeps him out of trouble. He's said many times Snooker is something that keeps him occupied in life and he actually loves the game (when he's in a good mood obviously), it just happens he seems to be exceptional at the sport and knows he can win a few titles here and there across a pick and choose schedule as long as he paces himself. It doesn't interfere with his life.

He said he wants to play until he's 50.

Also deep down I'm sure he wants to prove he can win another WC.

Postby eraserhead

2 worlds are what he has to play for but it doesn't really matter if it doesn't happen. I would like to see him make the one table set up again at least.

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:2 worlds are what he has to play for but it doesn't really matter if it doesn't happen. I would like to see him make the one table set up again at least.

Me too, at least then we would know he's interested and if he's good enough once he reaches it to win it again.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Holden Chinaski wrote:Set a ranking title record that will never be beaten.

I think his Triple Crown record is the safest. I don't see anyone beating his collection.

Ranking titles is probably safe too but he'll have to keep pace with the likes of Trump and Robbo if they get on a roll and they play twice as much too. 8 ranking tournaments in the last 2 seasons helped immensely.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:I think its his fans who want to see him winning all those big titles and dominate the game. I dont think the man himself has any ambitions to do that. He knows he doesnt have many more years left to play at the highest level and if he can still put up a great performance here and there and win some titles he'll be happy with that.

In my ideal world Ronnie would win one more world title and then retire after that. What a classy way that would be to leave the game.

This is my feeling, as well.

I think he just likes turning up and playing at the big events occasionally, without worrying too much about records or whatever. The Crucible wins is the only meaningful record that it's possible that he'll retire without anyway.

Postby gallantrabbit

Do people still listen to Mr Contradictory? We all know something he said yesterday he will deny tomorrow.
You would hope that Judd playing at this level would inspire him but with him it all depends which way the wind is blowing. I'm pleased that Judd winning like yesterday will hopefully mean that there are no more comments of 'tournament over' when O'sullivan decides he can't be bothered or it's too difficult.