Post a reply

Which of these young players will be a future world champion

Postby Drew1404

I was thinking about this yesterday, when I was watching luo honghao winning impressively in his match, that if he has what it takes to be world champion one day.
I thought with the world champs ahead it would be fun to look at the potential future champions, and we can come back here and see who ends up right.

Yan bingtao - difficult this one as he's declined a little, but he's still very high up the rankings for his age. I reckon he has a solid game that suits the crucible, but I don't think he'll win it based on what I've seen so far.

Zhou yuelong aka ghou yolonge - I think he'll crack the top 16 one day but I don't think he'll win it.

Jack lisowski - I think he'll get close, very close, but does he have the mentality to do the job. Not sure.

Hossein vafaei- he wants the world championship, but he needs to actually qualify. Very talented player but suffers a similar fate to lisowski a lot of the time, a lack of grit and bottle. He'll have a good run one day but it's a no from me.

Judd trump - If he doesn't win it this year I'm sure his time will come, he'll have his moment.

Zhao xintong- has all the ability in the world, but needs adjustments to his game and shot selection. Will come close.

Thepchaiya- at 33 he should be in his prime, but he's ranked where he is for a reason, a dangerous player but so hot and cold, can't see him getting close, but talent wise he should be doing better.

Kyren wilson - has the experience now and aside from judd trump he looks like the next new winner.

Luo honghao - only 18 but causing upsets everywhere. Still has a lot to learn, but says his aim is to win the world championship which is great to hear, he obviously knows how to dedicate his life to something with his piano background, combine the two and I think we have a possible winner one day.

Yuan sijun - disappointment to not qualify this year, so clearly has a way to go. Has a good attitude and a good game, will get close.

Lyu haotian- the kid is great, he seems to save his best performances for the crucible though, last year he was phenomenal against barry hawkins. He's playing decent stuff atm, but to me he lacks some star quality, I can't see him winning.

Jackson page - Hard to say right now, but working with Mark Williams and a long career ahead, I'm tipping him to win it.

Luca brecel - this is tough, he is so unpredictable. Time is on his side though, and as the older players wane he'll become one of the top dogs. Do I think he'll win it, no.

Pang junxu - ???

Have a go, you can simply say yes or no if you like

Re: Which of these young players will be a future world cham

Postby SnookerFan

Despite Hendry's slightly premature comments regarding Yuan Sijun, I'd like to see him do well. We need some young kids coming in that are winning trophies. Time will tell if he actually does.

Which also brings me to Yan Bingtao. A year ago he looked almost certain to be winning trophies. But he's been struggling for more than a year. Hard to judge. I'm hoping he'll turn it around.

Not entirely sold on Brecel yet. Don't know why.

Judd is clearly the most likely. Though, I always slightly doubted his temperament. He always believed his own hype, and thought all he had to do was turn up to win. He seems to have grown up in the last few months, so is now more likely than before.

How old is Jackson Page now? Weren't he only 15 when he 'broke through'.

Postby mick745

There seems to be a pattern withe young players, we have seen it with Selby, Trump, Lisowski, Brecel etc., they seem to be on the verge of something big but disappear for two or three years before coming good. I think this may happen to Bingtao.

I actually think that Kyren Wilson will go close this year, he seems to do better there every year and reached the one table set up for the first time last year. He has a good attitude and all round game. Can easily see him emerging from the top half of the draw to reach the final then who knows?

Judd Trump - when he was a young player everybody said he'd definitely win it one day - he has been in really good form this season and has a great chance but every year that goes by with him failing to win the prize is a missed opportunity and it will get harder. May be a Jimmy White and be the best player never to win it. He could reach the age of 30 with only 1 world final to his name which will be an underachievement for his level of talent.

The Chinese contingent - they are all talented youngsters for sure. I believe Xintong could be one of the most popular players on the circuit if he could get to the latter stages of tournaments more often. Plays too many loose shots but can learn. Plays like Trump did but needs maturing. A confidence player who could get on a streak.

Hoatian - good all round game but lacks experience. Seems to like the big time. Superb at Crucible last year.

Bingtao - was getting all the plaudits a couple of years ago. Will come again I am sure.

Jack lisowski - dont think he's a future champion no. Lacks discipline and focus.

Luca Brecel - could be world champion one day for sure. Next 2-3 years are crucial for him.

Jackson Page - very good youngster but will now be playing higher ranked players at tournaments for 2 years, needs to do enough to get in top 64 then can push on. Time will tell. Probably will have a few beatings early on.

There are other youngsters coming through, just sadly it seems not from the UK. Ben Mertens from Belgium is very good. There's a guy called Iulian Boiko from ukriane. Must be loads of Chinese youngsters aged from 12-16.

The next future star may not even be on the tour yet.

Postby TheSaviour

Only Luca Brecel has even an outside chance to be a future World Champion. Amongs the names you mentioned.

Anthony McGill might be a one, but even that is a far cry.

Luca Brecel might be, yes.

Otherwise, the next question please. Just not good enough to be a chinese player. Just not good enough. And everyone does know that. To be a future World Champion, it certainly requires flair and creativity too. That, and to be an extremely, and extremely precis. Also...... And so on. You know.

Postby Johnny Bravo

For me, when it comes to snooker, the word "young" defines a player under the age of 25.
Out of those u mentioned, Trump is obviously the most likely to win it, but he ain't young no more, he's almost 30. He's a grown ass man.

Xintong seems the most talented out of the rest.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:It will be interesting to see which players will win the big ones after players like Ronnie, Higgins and Williams retire, and players like Selby and Robbo get older. Trump could dominate?

I think Ding Junhui will come again in a big way once he gets bored with fatherhood and domestic life in general.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:It will be interesting to see which players will win the big ones after players like Ronnie, Higgins and Williams retire, and players like Selby and Robbo get older. Trump could dominate?

I think Ding Junhui will come again in a big way once he gets bored with fatherhood and domestic life in general.

I would love to see Ding playing great again. He's so good to watch. One of my favourites. I hope you're right.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

What your actually saying he will ditch his wife leave his kid hopefully pay maintenance and then he will be a World beater again.