Post a reply

Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Poll ended at 14 Apr 2019

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 18

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Iranu

No he shouldn’t.

The chance of him actually doing anything with such a wildcard is negligible.

Forgive my ignorance, but does Jimmy having a wildcard affect the number of places for other potential pros? I.e. if he gets a wildcard is there a chance it could deprive a young player from getting a chance on the tour? If so, I don’t see how you can justify giving him one.

Postby mick745

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I understand the commercial angle Mick, and Cloud's somewhat nostalgic and quaint reasoning.

However, to satisfy these criteria then why not give wildcards to all famous ex-pros? I bet fans would turn up and tune in to watch Ray Reardon and it would quench Cloud's thirst for nostalgia but it would be a sorry sight to witness. Much like Jimmy is becoming.

Has Ray Reardon indicated he would like a wildcard then? I've not read that anywhere, perhaps you have. I suspect this is a strawman argument on your part. The thread is about Jimmy, not Ray Reardon or anyone else. Please stay on topic.

I have no thirst for nostalgia or any other such notions of romanticism. In fact, if given the choice, I'd prefer it if Jimmy hung up his cue for good. However, the decision should purely be left to Jimmy to make. I just want to see him be happy, and if being on the tour makes him happy, then yeah give him a wildcard.

But sport is not a charity. He may have reached 6 world finals but he didn't win any of them, the last one in 1994. There are probably a number of players who were not even born then deserving of a chance. They may show promise but once on the main tour and if they have a willingness to work hard, who knows? Living on past glories is unseemly.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:No he shouldn’t.

Forgive my ignorance, but does Jimmy having a wildcard affect the number of places for other potential pros? I.e. if he gets a wildcard is there a chance it could deprive a young player from getting a chance on the tour? If so, I don’t see how you can justify giving him one.

Yes i think it would as the number of tour players is capped at 128.

Postby csprince

the wildcards are basically extra places they don"t deprive anybody a place on tour

Postby Lemnas

mick745 wrote:

No, because players that get an invitational tour card can only enter tournaments when there are open spots. They are below normal pros, but above amateurs in that regard.

Postby Cloud Strife

mick745 wrote:

The criteria of tour entry is already set. The wildcards are extra that make up the 128.

Postby The_Abbott

Cloud Strife wrote:
mick745 wrote:

The criteria of tour entry is already set. The wildcards are extra that make up the 128.

What annoys me is that a player can get back on the tour with one (like Ken will). That's taking a place from, lets say Ursenbacher.

Postby Iranu

The_Abbott wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
mick745 wrote:

What annoys me is that a player can get back on the tour with one (like Ken will). That's taking a place from, lets say Ursenbacher.

Yeah this was going to be my followup question.

You could argue that they’ve earned the place on tour if that’s the case but I dunno. They didn’t earn their right to earn that place to begin with.

Postby Lemnas

The_Abbott wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
mick745 wrote:

This will annoy you even more then: https://twitter.com/joegentlemanjoe/sta ... 1935880192

Postby The_Abbott

Lemnas wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
mick745 wrote:

This will annoy you even more then: https://twitter.com/joegentlemanjoe/sta ... 1935880192

I actually agree with Perry in that there isn't a level playing ground with amateurs. How has Cahill able to make so much money? So in that respect he has earned his place on the tour the same as Ken. Doesn't make it right I guess.

Postby csprince

i"m not sure if the tour is capped at 128 last season there were 131 on tour and i think the rule about the wildcards was changed so they can play whichever event they like there were pre qualifying rounds at 2 or 3 events last season

Postby The_Abbott

csprince wrote:i"m not sure if the tour is capped at 128 last season there were 131 on tour and i think the rule about the wildcards was changed so they can play whichever event they like there were pre qualifying rounds at 2 or 3 events last season

I think they know that some of the 128 will have visa issues or don't play. Its why the flat 128 draw doesn't always work. I'd have a prelimary round for all tournaments then a flat 64 thereafter.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yep yep and yep again. Hardly a wall of talent fighting to get their cards. How many players return to the tour through q school? By giving Jim the card (lifetime) he can choose when to go and everyone benefits. The players love having him around and the crowds love his occasional qualifications to the venue. Let's be grateful - the man has done more for snooker than any other.

Postby Pink Ball

I’m a huge Jimmy White fan all my life, and I don’t think any player, Alex Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan included, was ever as loved. He has been a huge asset to our game.

That doesn’t mean he deserves a wild card. If you’re not good enough, you’re not good enough. I’m not sure if I like the idea of a tour wildcard anyway. I think it could be a positive thing if it was used for players with potential who may not have the means to pursue a career and some leg-up was given to them. Other than that, I don’t see much point to it.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:I’m a huge Jimmy White fan all my life, and I don’t think any player, Alex Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan included, was ever as loved. He has been a huge asset to our game.

That doesn’t mean he deserves a wild card. If you’re not good enough, you’re not good enough. I’m not sure if I like the idea of a tour wildcard anyway. I think it could be a positive thing if it was used for players with potential who may not have the means to pursue a career and some leg-up was given to them. Other than that, I don’t see much point to it.

:goodpost:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I find this attitude that Jimmy should be given a wildcard because of all he has done for the game slightly vomit inducing.

He was a great player no doubt and he entertained millions but he set few records of any importance, spunked his talent and failed repeatedly on the biggest stage of all.

And I like him.

Postby mick745

Lemnas wrote:
mick745 wrote:

No, because players that get an invitational tour card can only enter tournaments when there are open spots. They are below normal pros, but above amateurs in that regard.

That is not actually true. The rule was changed in 2017:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/invitationa ... d-holders/

Postby PLtheRef

Like I said on Twitter last night, I don't think Jimmy deserves another ITC - especially given that he has been relegated straightaway on the back of receiving a two-year ITC. Had he earned his place back on tour for three or four years before relegation then you could have more of an argument for it.

If he got one I don't think there'd be that much of an outrage against it, but I can't see him regaining a tour-card via being in the 64 or top 8 on the 1 year list. It'd be far better for him to go on the Seniors Tour and play as one of the Legends on that circuit.

Although I do concede that there is a precedent as mentioned on Twitter surrounding the ITC which have been given to Wattana.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm kind of against wildcards full stop. I also think if you have to give them, they should be awarded to youngsters who could benefit from the experience.

But I wouldn't be amazed if Jimmy got awarded another one. He's good for business, and Hearn is a businessman.