Post a reply

Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Poll ended at 14 Apr 2019

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 18

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Lemnas

mick745 wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:No he shouldn’t.

The chance of him actually doing anything with such a wildcard is negligible.

Forgive my ignorance, but does Jimmy having a wildcard affect the number of places for other potential pros? I.e. if he gets a wildcard is there a chance it could deprive a young player from getting a chance on the tour? If so, I don’t see how you can justify giving him one.

Yes i think it would as the number of tour players is capped at 128.

No, because players that get an invitational tour card can only enter tournaments when there are open spots. They are below normal pros, but above amateurs in that regard.

That is not actually true. The rule was changed in 2017:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/invitationa ... d-holders/

Did that pre-qualifying round ever happen? Probably won't happen next season because of the open places on the tour.

Postby Wildey

Lemnas wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:No he shouldn’t.

The chance of him actually doing anything with such a wildcard is negligible.

Forgive my ignorance, but does Jimmy having a wildcard affect the number of places for other potential pros? I.e. if he gets a wildcard is there a chance it could deprive a young player from getting a chance on the tour? If so, I don’t see how you can justify giving him one.

Yes i think it would as the number of tour players is capped at 128.

No, because players that get an invitational tour card can only enter tournaments when there are open spots. They are below normal pros, but above amateurs in that regard.

That is not actually true. The rule was changed in 2017:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/invitationa ... d-holders/

Did that pre-qualifying round ever happen? Probably won't happen next season because of the open places on the tour.

There was a pre qualifying round last season in some events http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=647 but there was more than 128 pros last season this season it was depleted with Jamie Jones, Cao Yupeng and Yu Delu banned it wasent needed plus there was just 128 to start with.

Postby fridge46

Wildey wrote:There was a pre qualifying round last season in some events http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=647 but there was more than 128 pros last season this season it was depleted with Jamie Jones, Cao Yupeng and Yu Delu banned it wasent needed plus there was just 128 to start with.

I hated those preliminary rounds.

I think the tour should have 124 full members. That way each tournament can have 4 wild cards and not force some players to play an extra match.

Postby Larunss

I would say that give Jimmy this invitational tour card, but he can only enter the tournaments where less than 128 proper pros. Since that's the case most of the time let him play to fill up the draw. He still has plenty of fans and from time to time gets the odd win here and there.

It's not like his tour card takes away one of the Q school slots, then you could argue he takes away a chance for a talented youngester. So not exactly a massive downside for having Jimmy hang around

Postby Ash147

Jimmy begins his 2 year wildcard with back to back defeats. I'd be surprised if he wins multiple matches all season. He should never have been given this, and carrying on can only damage his legacy. Just retire Jimmy.

Postby gallantrabbit

Sure Jimmy can decide what's best for his own life. Also he has started off against a lad that's full of confidence and a very top pro.
Wouldn't mind the complaints if Jimmy was genuinely holding up new talent, but most of the Q school winners are guys that have been on tour and have failed pretty miserably, so just let Jimmy get on with it. He'll win some matches at some point and the public will get to see him at the odd venue.

Postby Ash147

gallantrabbit wrote:Sure Jimmy can decide what's best for his own life. Also he has started off against a lad that's full of confidence and a very top pro.
Wouldn't mind the complaints if Jimmy was genuinely holding up new talent, but most of the Q school winners are guys that have been on tour and have failed pretty miserably, so just let Jimmy get on with it. He'll win some matches at some point and the public will get to see him at the odd venue.

If Jimmy had earned his tour card off his own merit, then sure. That's not the case though, Hearn has rewarded him simply because he was once a great player. I wouldn't support anyone getting a free pass, no matter who they once were.

Postby Iranu

gallantrabbit wrote:Sure Jimmy can decide what's best for his own life. Also he has started off against a lad that's full of confidence and a very top pro.

So why couldn’t Jimmy have gone through Q School too? Or is he not even as good as those failures?

The fact is that Jimmy shouldn’t haveany issue with going through Q School if he believes in his ability.

I’d feel pretty rubbish if I was a former great and getting a pity tour card.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:

So why couldn’t Jimmy have gone through Q School too? Or is he not even as good as those failures?

The fact is that Jimmy shouldn’t haveany issue with going through Q School if he believes in his ability.

I’d feel pretty rubbish if I was a former great and getting a pity tour card.

:goodpost:

Postby gallantrabbit

There are exceptions to all rules. If you don't think Jim is an exception then you haven't been watching the game long.
Business wise, it's good for snooker to keep Jim involved and it does him a favour too. Of course his future is on the senior/legends tour, but he's earned the right to decide when that will be the only time he competes.

Postby Dan-cat

gallantrabbit wrote:There are exceptions to all rules. If you don't think Jim is an exception then you haven't been watching the game long.
Business wise, it's good for snooker to keep Jim involved and it does him a favour too. Of course his future is on the senior/legends tour, but he's earned the right to decide when that will be the only time he competes.

+1

He’s a custodian of our great game. He can do what he likes.

Postby Ash147

gallantrabbit wrote:There are exceptions to all rules. If you don't think Jim is an exception then you haven't been watching the game long.

I completely disagree. Nobody has earned their right to be bigger than the sport, and to call the shots. If you're good enough to be on the tour, then earn your spot. No one should be getting these free handouts.

Postby Iranu

Business-wise it would be better if Jimmy played well enough to earn his place on the tour. Do you not have fairh in him to do that?

How is it a good thing that he loses pretty much every match he plays?

I also don’t think it’s the tour’s job to do Jimmy or anyone else a favour.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:

Business-wise it would be better if Jimmy played well enough to earn his place on the tour. Do you not have fairh in him to do that?

How is it a good thing that he loses pretty much every match he plays?

I also don’t think it’s the tour’s job to do Jimmy or anyone else a favour.

Stop making me agree with you. rofl

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:

I completely disagree. Nobody has earned their right to be bigger than the sport, and to call the shots. If you're good enough to be on the tour, then earn your spot. No one should be getting these free handouts.

Next year Ray Reardon will get a tour card lol.

Seriously it's ridicilous this tour card bullocks it was invented by hearn so his mate Davis could carry on playing and now he's ran with it giving wattana endless cards so he can turn round and say well wattana has had 20 years special cards so I'll give jimmy, Ronnie, Higgins, Williams etc same chance.

Just total crappy to say the least.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Next year Ray Reardon will get a tour card lol.

Seriously it's ridicilous this tour card bullocks it was invented by hearn so his mate Davis could carry on playing and now he's ran with it giving wattana endless cards so he can turn round and say well wattana has had 20 years special cards so I'll give jimmy, Ronnie, Higgins, Williams etc same chance.

Just total crappy to say the least.

:goodpost: