Post a reply

Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Poll ended at 14 Apr 2019

Yes
4
22%
No
14
78%
 
Total votes : 18

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:His last professional match is nigh. Probably the second qualifying match at this year's worlds. Could be a big crowd for that one.


Well, I have no doubt he'll be awarded a Hearn card if he wants it.

I don't think he should, especially after Hearn's "I don't reward mediocrity" lies. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy is allowed to play as long as he wants.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby The_Abbott

I did support it a couple of years ago but unlike Ken, Jimmy has failed to get enough decent results and should therefore be relegated with similar performing players. Wattana too.

and if it really was invitational then why should they get a 2 year card? It should only be one year because clearly the objective isn't to get back on the tour.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Lemnas

SnookerFan wrote:
Well, I have no doubt he'll be awarded a Hearn card if he wants it.

I don't think he should, especially after Hearn's "I don't reward mediocrity" lies. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy is allowed to play as long as he wants.

+1

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Johnny Bravo

No he shouldn't. He's a legend of the game, but playing on with a sub-par standard doesn't do him any good.
He can play exhibitions if he still loves the game.
Or, if he truly still wants to be on the tour, he should put up the bucking practice hours required.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:No he shouldn't. He's a legend of the game, but playing on with a sub-par standard doesn't do him any good.
He can play exhibitions if he still loves the game.
Or, if he truly still wants to be on the tour, he should put up the bucking practice hours required.


Flying in practice. :plane:

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby csprince

hearn opened a can of worms with this wildcard bulls-it.basically a way of keeping the big guns on tour no player should been given a wildcard if you can"t get or remain in the top 64 or the top 8 on the one year list you drop of you can"t move the goalposts for the big names.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

Bit harsh Cloud but why should Jimmy get one and not them?

What's the criteria?

Dan-Cat- feel free to contribute constructively.


Look at what Jimmy has done for the game of snooker and then have a look at what Swail and Bond have contributed. I think you'll see a world of difference.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby mick745

I guess the criteria is purely commercial. More ticket sales and bigger TV audiences for Jimmy White's matches. More coffers in the WS till.

Not really a huge number of extra tickets sales to be generated for Bond or Swail, as harsh at that may seem.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

Bit harsh Cloud but why should Jimmy get one and not them?

What's the criteria?

Dan-Cat- feel free to contribute constructively.


rofl

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I understand the commercial angle Mick, and Cloud's somewhat nostalgic and quaint reasoning.

However, to satisfy these criteria then why not give wildcards to all famous ex-pros? I bet fans would turn up and tune in to watch Ray Reardon and it would quench Cloud's thirst for nostalgia but it would be a sorry sight to witness. Much like Jimmy is becoming.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Lemnas

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

How about: If Wattana gets one, Bond and Swail should get one?

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Lemnas wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

How about: If Wattana gets one, Bond and Swail should get one?

Good point well made.

Likely you will receive a torrent of abuse from the likes of Cloud for making it though.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I understand the commercial angle Mick, and Cloud's somewhat nostalgic and quaint reasoning.

However, to satisfy these criteria then why not give wildcards to all famous ex-pros? I bet fans would turn up and tune in to watch Ray Reardon and it would quench Cloud's thirst for nostalgia but it would be a sorry sight to witness. Much like Jimmy is becoming.


Has Ray Reardon indicated he would like a wildcard then? I've not read that anywhere, perhaps you have. I suspect this is a strawman argument on your part. The thread is about Jimmy, not Ray Reardon or anyone else. Please stay on topic.

I have no thirst for nostalgia or any other such notions of romanticism. In fact, if given the choice, I'd prefer it if Jimmy hung up his cue for good. However, the decision should purely be left to Jimmy to make. I just want to see him be happy, and if being on the tour makes him happy, then yeah give him a wildcard.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Cloud Strife

Lemnas wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

How about: If Wattana gets one, Bond and Swail should get one?


Nope, none of them should. Perhaps maybe Wattana for his contributions to snooker in Thailand and Asia in general.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If Jimmy gets one Bond and Swail should get one.


No, they shouldn't. What an idiotic post. <doh>

How about: If Wattana gets one, Bond and Swail should get one?


Nope, none of them should. Perhaps maybe Wattana for his contributions to snooker in Thailand and Asia in general.

Surprised you did not say Wattana was a straw man argument.

So your criteria are rock solid then - perhaps...maybe.

Re: Should Jimmy White get another 2 year tour card?

Postby Lemnas

Dan-cat wrote:He only has to get to the quarters to retain his card doesn't he?

Jimmy White? No, making it to the crucible is enough for the one-year list.


   

cron