Post a reply

Who is the greatest long potter of all time ?

1. Neil Robertson
12%
2. Mark J. Williams
15%
3. Judd Trump
4%
4. Shaun Murphy
No votes
5. Stephen Hendry
62%
6. Other (please state)
8%

Total votes : 26

Re: Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Fair play you Johhny for sticking to your convinctions... all of us have thrown countless arguments as to why we think Hendry was the greatest long potter, but you dont buy any of that lol...

Of course I don't, I've watched the man play. And not just on youtube, but in real life, when I was a kid. It was on TV of course, but I saw him nonetheless.
Was he a great long potter ? Hell yes, among the best ever.
Was he the best ever ? Hell no.

Over the year or so you been on here you have had a mission to discredit hendry at every turn so your opinion on this means rubbish

Mission accomplished.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Its not that match against Doherty which will haunt Hendry. Its the final against Ebdon in 2002 which was a big body blow to him and maybe one reason (not the only one) for his rapid decline. He never recovered from that defeat.

It could have been the perfect career end for Hendry had he won that match. I'm pretty sure he thought there was no way he was gonna lose the match. That combined with the fact that Ebdon probably played his best match ever caused that very painful defeat in the end.

I believe Hendry's decline started to set in properly around 2006. Ironically, that was also the year Ebdon beat Hendry in the UK final, proving his 2002 win was no fluke. I dunno, maybe Hendry took him lightly in that match too? :shrug:
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 31 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Its not that match against Doherty which will haunt Hendry. Its the final against Ebdon in 2002 which was a big body blow to him and maybe one reason (not the only one) for his rapid decline. He never recovered from that defeat.

It could have been the perfect career end for Hendry had he won that match. I'm pretty sure he thought there was no way he was gonna lose the match. That combined with the fact that Ebdon probably played his best match ever caused that very painful defeat in the end.

I believe Hendry's decline started to set in properly around 2006. Ironically, that was also the year Ebdon beat Hendry in the 2006 UK final, proving his 2002 win was no fluke. I dunno, maybe Hendry took him lightly in that match too? :shrug:

Anyone who thinks Hendry starting declining in 1996 is either thick or too far up Hendry’s hole to see things clearly.

Postby Andre147

I agree with Cloud... this snoobery " oh Youtube is bullocks" is a load of rubbish!

It's the same bucking match! Yes I know its different watching it live, you live the emotions in the moment, but the match remains the same, like Cloud says, its almost as if it belongs to an alternate universe.

If it wasnt for Youtube or any other video stream website, I would never been able to watch old matches like Ronnie's 5 min 147 for instance, or the 94 UK Final when Hendry made 7 centuries.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:If anything, watching back on YouTube is a better platform for studying a game than watching live. You’re able to put your emotions to one side and see things more calmly. I’ve certainly done it even though I watched all the classics live.

Thats right. Emotions can often cloud your judgment.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:When I said "prime Hendry" in the first reply to this question, I didn't realize it was going to cause such a shitstorm.

Name one instance in the history of this forum that saying “prime Hendry” hasn’t cause a shitstorm <laugh>

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:If anything, watching back on YouTube is a better platform for studying a game than watching live. You’re able to put your emotions to one side and see things more calmly. I’ve certainly done it even though I watched all the classics live.

Particularly in terms of judging quality. I remember watching the Ding-Selby semi-final of 2017 on YouTube and it was then I realised fully just how bucking good that match was. I’d put it right up there as one of the greatest matches of all time. It was incredibly exciting live, I knew at the time that the standard was really high, but watching it back I realised just how rarely either of them put a foot wrong.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:When I said "prime Hendry" in the first reply to this question, I didn't realize it was going to cause such a shitstorm.

Name one instance in the history of this forum that saying “prime Hendry” hasn’t cause a shitstorm <laugh>

Good point.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Particularly in terms of judging quality. I remember watching the Ding-Selby semi-final of 2017 on YouTube and it was then I realised fully just how bucking good that match was. I’d put it right up there as one of the greatest matches of all time. It was incredibly exciting live, I knew at the time that the standard was really high, but watching it back I realised just how rarely either of them put a foot wrong.

Best quality match I have seen

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Best quality match I have seen

A bucking thunderbastard.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I believe Hendry's decline started to set in properly around 2006. Ironically, that was also the year Ebdon beat Hendry in the 2006 UK final, proving his 2002 win was no fluke. I dunno, maybe Hendry took him lightly in that match too? :shrug:

Anyone who thinks Hendry starting declining in 1996 is either thick or too far up Hendry’s hole to see things clearly.

Hendry's Decline started in 1998 losing 9-0 to Marcus Campbell and losing 3 straight loses to Tony Drago was a indication of that the only 3 matches Drago won against him in 18 happened during 1998/1999. I Never fancied Hendry for the WC in 99 Higgins was miles the best player that tournament and after what had gone during that season things looked bleak for him.

Yea he picked himself up and even reached more triple crown finals 4 in fact and won a further 5 ranking tournaments played in 13 finals and even got back to world no 1 but that was more of a indication of how great a player he actually was rather than his form of old.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Hendry's Decline started in 1998 losing 9-0 to Marcus Campbell and losing 3 straight loses to Tony Drago was a indication of that the only 3 matches Drago won against him in 18 happened during 1998/1999. I Never fancied Hendry for the WC in 99 Higgins was miles the best player that tournament and after what had gone during that season things looked bleak for him.

Yea he picked himself up and even reached more triple crown finals 4 in fact and won a further 5 ranking tournaments played in 13 finals and even got back to world no 1 but that was more of a indication of how great a player he actually was rather than his form of old.

Not true.
Hendry actually did a lot wrong in 1998/99, that much I accept. But that's looking at a season in isolation, a few results in isolation. O'Sullivan was rubbish in 05/06, he lost a session 0-8 to Graeme Dott, someone he had a very good record against. A geriatric James Wattana whitewashed him.
Higgins was rubbish in 11/12, he was destroyed, bucking annihilated by a shitshow of a Stephen Hendry.
Hendry was rubbish at times in 98/99. That doesn't mean he was in decline. He wasn't. It means he was playing some bad snooker at the time. Happens even great players.
Hendry had many seasons thereafter that were far more solid, many tournaments where I felt he was playing even better than he had in his prime, but even then he often didn't win. People say the 1993 World Championship version of Hendry was his best version. The 2002 version was comfortably better, but he didn't even win the tournament, even though he probably deserved to.
Looking back I firmly believe to this day that we only started seeing Hendry entering proper decline in 05/06. Not 98/99.
Hendry was up against far stiffer competition and couldn't hack it anymore. Yes, more often than not he'd beat Doherty, Ebdon, Hunter, Stevens, and Lee, and he still kept an impressive record against the big three. The problem was beating three or even four of them in a row. He fell time and again.

Postby Wildey

When you start declining its a gradual thing and believe me he started then and it snowballed persanally i wanted him to retire in 2004 it was getting painfull to see him all of a sudden having to rely on oponements missed pots to get in as apose to knocking them in from distance to get in.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:When you start declining its a gradual thing and believe me he started then and it snowballed persanally i wanted him to retire in 2004 it was getting painfull to see him all of a sudden having to rely on oponements missed pots to get in as apose to knocking them in from distance to get in.

Is this an April Fool's joke?

Postby Andre147

I tend to agree with Wild that Hendry started to slowly decline around 98, but only because opposition got stronger.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:I tend to agree with Wild that Hendry started to slowly decline around 98, but only because opposition got stronger.

bullocks

Throughout his career the stronger the oposition the better he played so that had zero to with anything Holy rubbish <doh>

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I tend to agree with Wild that Hendry started to slowly decline around 98, but only because opposition got stronger.

bullocks

Throughout his career the stronger the oposition the better he played so that had zero to with anything Holy rubbish <doh>

But saying it started when he lost 9 nil is a poor man's excuse.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Throughout his career the stronger the oposition the better he played so that had zero to with anything

His record through 1997 to 2012 suggests otherwise.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

bullocks

Exactly

And he still wasn’t good enough.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

bullocks

But saying it started when he lost 9 nil is a poor man's excuse.

He did not lose 9-0 to Ronnie, Williams or Higgins he lost 9-0 to Marcus Campbell come on wake up and smell the roses for buck sakes.

The amount of people comentating on here that knows buck all about it is ridicilous

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Fair play you Johhny for sticking to your convinctions... all of us have thrown countless arguments as to why we think Hendry was the greatest long potter, but you dont buy any of that lol...

Of course I don't, I've watched the man play. And not just on youtube, but in real life, when I was a kid. It was on TV of course, but I saw him nonetheless.
Was he a great long potter ? Hell yes, among the best ever.
Was he the best ever ? Hell no.

I don't get this snobbery regarding YouTube. I mean, why is that? Does YouTube only upload snooker videos from an alternate reality where matches differ from those broadcast on live television? I just don't understand it.

Yeah, it’s a load of bullocks. It’s the same bucking match.

I wasn't discrediting Youtube, I think it's great. I was only pointing out the fact that I'm not a part time fan that needed Youtube in order to see prime Hendry. I was watching snooker since I was a kid, therefore I even got to see him play. Youtube simply helped me rewatch some matches from the past. :-) :spot on:

Postby Andre147

Lol Johnny that makes no sense whatsoever...

So now if I watch videos on Youtube I'm a part-time fan? Haha give me a break!
I'm a die hard snooker fan mate, I watch old matches on Youtube simply because I wasnt born at the time or was too young.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Lol Johnny that makes no sense whatsoever...

I'm a die hard snooker fan mate, I watch old matches on Youtube simply because I wasnt born at the time or was too young.

#casual

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:Lol Johnny that makes no sense whatsoever...

You misunderstood. Of course you're gonna watch matches on youtube if u were too young. :spot on:
My point was that I ain't that young therefore I also saw them on TV.