Post a reply

Who is the greatest long potter of all time ?

1. Neil Robertson
12%
2. Mark J. Williams
15%
3. Judd Trump
4%
4. Shaun Murphy
No votes
5. Stephen Hendry
62%
6. Other (please state)
8%

Total votes : 26

Re: Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Hendry of course.

NO bucking WAY. :td: These last few days I've re-watched all his WC finals against Jimmy in the early 90's.
Robbo is much better. So is Trump and Willo. The only way I'd say Hendry was better was if I hit my head and ended up retarded. :dizzy: <doh>

How many world finals have Robbo and Trump been in to demonstrate their long potting?

I haven’t seen enough of Hendry to have an informed opinion, but judging him based just on his WC finals againdt Jimmy isn’t exactly scientific.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Hendry of course.

NO bucking WAY. :td: These last few days I've re-watched all his WC finals against Jimmy in the early 90's.
Robbo is much better. So is Trump and Willo. The only way I'd say Hendry was better was if I hit my head and ended up retarded. :dizzy: <doh>

How many world finals have Robbo and Trump been in to demonstrate their long potting?

I haven’t seen enough of Hendry to have an informed opinion, but judging him based just on his WC finals againdt Jimmy isn’t exactly scientific.

This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots. No way Hendry wins it.

Anyway, u don't have to take my word for it. Just watch those finals yourself. Although he also made some great shots, he missed way too many to be considered the best.

Postby Andre147

Lol Johnny if this is about practice then the winner is obviously Jimmy White!

If you ask about who's the greatest long potter, you cant dismiss things like pressure, etc.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots. No way Hendry wins it.

Anyway, u don't have to take my word for it. Just watch those finals yourself. Although he also made some great shots, he missed way too many to be considered the best.

I have watched a lot of Hendry matches as I'm a huge Hendry fan. His long potting was fantastic. Who would make the most long pots in practice? How would I know? Who would pot the most long pots in a real match? I say prime Hendry.

The Island has spoken, mate. Just look at the votes. Go watch some more Hendry matches on youtube. I'm not saying Judd and Robbo aren't brilliant, but you are definitely underestimating Hendry. He almost never refused a long pot in his prime, and look how many titles he's won.

Postby Dan-cat

In recent times, Ronnie has been brilliant. His long potting won him the match against Judd in those last two games. Sure he wasn’t brilliant the whole match and the last said about the first session the better, but he pulled out some ridiculous pots that if he missed would have lost him the match.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots.

Well then it’s an utterly pointless question because none of us could possibly know.

If it’s all about practise ability you may as well have Jamie Cope and Michael White in the mix.

Postby Pink Ball

Long potters Johnny Bravo thinks were better than Hendry:
Robbo
Williams
Trump
Murphy
Robin Hull
Pol Pot
Stephen Hawking
The artist formerly known as Prince
Napoleon Bonaparte
Jesus Christ
Theresa May
Channel 4
Johnny’s mate, Dave
The Prodigy’s acclaimed 1994 album, ‘Music for the Jilted Generation’
Most bananas
Thomas the Tank Engine
An inanimate carbon rob
Whatever’s in the mystery box
Marco Fu’s watch
Jill Douglas
The letter ‘h’
A single plum floating in a bowler hat full of perfume
TheSaviour
Cancer
Vitamin D supplements
Alan McManus’s kilt troosers
A decent meal
This comment
Tits or ass
Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon
Mmmm
Hope itself
buck
Willie Thorne’s debt

Postby Iranu

Theresa May’s leadership allowed Brexit to go to pot from over two years ago.

Hendry’s never made a pot as long as that.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Lol Johnny if this is about practice then the winner is obviously Jimmy White!

If you ask about who's the greatest long potter, you cant dismiss things like pressure, etc.

Guys you got to be honest some of the things Johnny Bravo has said on here makes him out to be a fool

Since when is potting in practice ore important than under pressure rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots. No way Hendry wins it.

I have watched a lot of Hendry matches as I'm a huge Hendry fan. His long potting was fantastic. Who would make the most long pots in practice? How would I know? Who would pot the most long pots in a real match? I say prime Hendry.

The Island has spoken, mate. Just look at the votes. Go watch some more Hendry matches on youtube. I'm not saying Judd and Robbo aren't brilliant, but you are definitely underestimating Hendry. He almost never refused a long pot in his prime, and look how many titles he's won.

yea thats the telling thing He hardly ever refused any pot in his prime and he was succesfull playing that way against players that would tie him up in Knotts if he missed.

Had he played a bit more conservative in latter career he would have won far more No disrespect to Ken Doherty but had Hendry played within himself in 1997 Ken Would not have won that title Stephen was far too interested in winning frames in one visit off a long pot than scrap the match out.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots.

Well then it’s an utterly pointless question because none of us could possibly know.

If it’s all about practise ability you may as well have Jamie Cope and Michael White in the mix.

I said "imagine if it was practice", key word being imagine. If we are talking about who is more likely to make a long pot in the decider of a major event, than yea, maybe Hendry is better than Trump or Robbo, but that wasn't the point.
I've seen countless matches of Hendry and countless matches of Robbo, Trump, Willo, ROS, etc.
Hendry is not the best long potter, not a chance. :no:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Long potters Johnny Bravo thinks were better than Hendry:
Robbo
Williams
Trump
Murphy
Robin Hull
Pol Pot
Stephen Hawking
The artist formerly known as Prince
Napoleon Bonaparte
Jesus Christ
Theresa May
Channel 4
Johnny’s mate, Dave
The Prodigy’s acclaimed 1994 album, ‘Music for the Jilted Generation’
Most bananas
Thomas the Tank Engine
An inanimate carbon rob
Whatever’s in the mystery box
Marco Fu’s watch
Jill Douglas
The letter ‘h’
A single plum floating in a bowler hat full of perfume
TheSaviour
Cancer
Vitamin D supplements
Alan McManus’s kilt troosers
A decent meal
This comment
Tits or ass
Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon
Mmmm
Hope itself
buck
Willie Thorne’s debt

pmsl

Actually, I only think there are a few: Robbo,Trump, Willo, even Smurf on certain types of long shots. I also think that in recent years, ROS's long potting is just as good as Hendry's was in his prime.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Lol Johnny if this is about practice then the winner is obviously Jimmy White!

Guys you got to be honest some of the things Johnny Bravo has said on here makes him out to be a fool

Since when is potting in practice ore important than under pressure rofl rofl rofl rofl

It's not about which is more important, my poll was simply about long potting ability, not who's more likely to make one under pressure. Of course someone like Trump is more likely to crumble under pressure than Hendry was. But Hendry is not capable of pulling off the same shots as Trump.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Of course I can dismiss pressure, I'm judging long potting ability, nothing else.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I said "imagine if it was practice", key word being imagine. If we are talking about who is more likely to make a long pot in the decider of a major event, than yea, maybe Hendry is better than Trump or Robbo, but that wasn't the point.
I've seen countless matches of Hendry and countless matches of Robbo, Trump, Willo, ROS, etc.
Hendry is not the best long potter, not a chance. :no:

How do you know? How many of them have you seen practising?

You seem very sure about something that’s based on your imagination.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote: Hendry ..........He hardly ever refused any pot in his prime and he was succesfull playing that way against players that would tie him up in Knotts if he missed.

That's cause he was playing against weak opposition.

Wildey wrote:Had he played a bit more conservative in latter career he would have won far more

This I can agree with you. <ok> :spot on:

Wildey wrote: had Hendry played within himself in 1997 Ken Would not have won that title Stephen was far too interested in winning frames in one visit off a long pot than scrap the match out.

So was ROS in 2014 against Selbo.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry's been on for about half an hour so far and hasn't stopped talking about Ronnie.

To be fair, he probably doesn't know who any of the other players are.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:How do you know? How many of them have you seen practising?

You seem very sure about something that’s based on your imagination.

I've seen countless Hendry matches, he's by no means a better long potter as far as I'm concerned. Why is that so hard to understand ?! :? :? :? :huh:

Hendry was superior to Robbo and Trump in some aspects of the game, but long potting wasn't one of them.