Post a reply

Who is the greatest long potter of all time ?

1. Neil Robertson
12%
2. Mark J. Williams
15%
3. Judd Trump
4%
4. Shaun Murphy
No votes
5. Stephen Hendry
62%
6. Other (please state)
8%

Total votes : 26

Re: Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Under pressure, and I mean extreme pressure, Hendry in his prime was still able to pot crazy long reds AND get perfect position on the black. Judd is one of the best long potters but under extreme pressure he loses his touch. When Ronnie's playing his A game, he's up there with Hendry. Robbo is just as good as Trump, but under pressure he's like Trump as well.

I go for Hendry.

It's not about who's the best under pressure, it's about who's the best, regardless of the circumstances.
So if we were to take all these guys and put them to pot different types of long pots, who would come out on top.

Robertson imo. He has the precision and the cue power to play all types of long pots. Successfully. Trump is up there as well obviously but Robertson has the better cue action.

I think the same. Robbo has great cue power and great technique.

Postby Wildey

Consistency and under pressure Prime Hendry followed by Prime Williams however at pace and accuracy Judd Trump.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Under pressure, and I mean extreme pressure, Hendry in his prime was still able to pot crazy long reds AND get perfect position on the black. Judd is one of the best long potters but under extreme pressure he loses his touch. When Ronnie's playing his A game, he's up there with Hendry. Robbo is just as good as Trump, but under pressure he's like Trump as well.

I go for Hendry.

It's not about who's the best under pressure, it's about who's the best, regardless of the circumstances.
So if we were to take all these guys and put them to pot different types of long pots, who would come out on top.

Robertson imo. He has the precision and the cue power to play all types of long pots. Successfully. Trump is up there as well obviously but Robertson has the better cue action.

I think the same. Robbo has great cue power and great technique.

the best regardless of the cercanstance is the same as best under pressure <doh>

jesus christ mate seriously <doh>

Postby Johnny Bravo

Circle2010_ wrote:prime Hendry and/or Mark James Williams

Mark is brilliant at floating long ones in, but Trump and Robbo can hammer long ones in.
Hendry is not in the conversation for me, although he was good. He can't pot the ones Robbo and Trump do.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Mark is brilliant at floating long ones in, but Trump and Robbo can hammer long ones in.
Hendry is not in the conversation for me, although he was good. He can't pot the ones Robbo and Trump do.

I think you're wrong there. Hendry in his prime could pot the long ones just as good as Robbo and Trump.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I think you're wrong there. Hendry in his prime could pot the long ones just as good as Robbo and Trump.

I've watched a lot of his matches from the early 90's, he wasn't on their level. Not far away, but not quite there either.

Hendry couldn't get near some of these pots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4QxCqVT0s

Postby Andre147

The only thing Hendry couldnt do is screw the cue ball the full lenght of the table like Robbo or Trump do. But he could pot any long ball just like them.

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:The only thing Hendry couldnt do is screw the cue ball the full lenght of the table like Robbo or Trump do. But he could pot any long ball just like them.

I doubt either of them could on early 90s tables though

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:The only thing Hendry couldnt do is screw the cue ball the full lenght of the table like Robbo or Trump do. But he could pot any long ball just like them.

I've seen them pot some crazy pots when the object ball was very close to the side cushion and closer to the middle pocket than the top one. I've also seen them (especially Robbo) pot some crazy long ones where the cueball was frozen/almost frozen to the cushion behind the low value colors and the object ball was almost dead straight.
Hendry wasn't as prolific at those types of shots. Most long pots he'd make where when he had a comfortable bridge and he could get the white back to baulk on a natural path.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Why would Hendry screw back? He always got position on the black.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Exactly this... he wouldn't hedge his bets he would go all out.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Johnny, you need to watch more YouTube vids. Hendry was a long potting beast.

You really do Johnny. Complete matches.

I have seen a lot of them, he just wasn't as good as Robbo or Trump.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Johnny, you need to watch more YouTube vids. Hendry was a long potting beast.

He really was.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Hendry was the best long potter of all time.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Because he almost always played position on black, pink or blue.

That in itself puts more pressure on the long pots.

I can see Johnny's point... maybe Robbo's or Trump's long pots are more spectacular, but Hendry consistently got them, so yeah he's probably the best.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Because he almost always played position on black, pink or blue.

That in itself puts more pressure on the long pots.

I can see Johnny's point... maybe Robbo's or Trump's long pots are more spectacular, but Hendry consistently got them, so yeah he's probably the best.

When the black is blocked, u are forced to draw back. And when he had to hit it harder, Hendry's accuracy decreased. Most of the pots u mentioned, when he played for the black, were stop shots, and those are a lot easier.
Anyway, we are going back and forth with this debate and we are going nowhere. So I've decided that I'm gonna download some videos of him that are available (early 90's era) and try to make a compilation of successful long pots as well as failed ones in order to prove my point. This will take a while tough. :-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

When the black was blocked, a lot of times Hendry potted a long red and got some sort of kiss to free the black. Or he would get on the pink.

Your question was not "who's the best at potting long ones and screwing back half the table". You asked who the best long potter was, and I'm telling you Hendry was as good as anyone. Hendry in his prime knocked in long pot after long pot as if he was playing on a miniature table.

Postby Holden Chinaski

When players like Judd screw back, they usually do it because they think there's a chance they might miss so they play a bit safe. Hendry knew he was going to knock it in so he played for prime position. And then he made a century.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:When the black was blocked, a lot of times Hendry potted a long red and got some sort of kiss to free the black. Or he would get on the pink.

Your question was not "who's the best at potting long ones and screwing back half the table". You asked who the best long potter was, and I'm telling you Hendry was as good as anyone. Hendry in his prime knocked in long pot after long pot as if he was playing on a miniature table.

+1

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:When players like Judd screw back, they usually do it because they think there's a chance they might miss so they play a bit safe. Hendry knew he was going to knock it in so he played for prime position. And then he made a century.

I was thinking about this the other day. It's amazing how common that shot used to be, knocking in the long red and stunning the white for position on the black or use of the cushions, you'd even sometimes see players play the long drag shot to get on the black. Not just Hendry, but almost all the top players regularly tried it. I rarely see players attempt to land on the black anymore from a long red. It's all about going back up to land on one of the baulk colours now, even Ronnie does this more often than not.

Must be a quirk of the era.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:So I've decided that I'm gonna download some videos of him that are available (early 90's era) and try to make a compilation of successful long pots as well as failed ones in order to prove my point. This will take a while tough. :-)

That wouldn’t really prove anything, you could do that with any player.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:When players like Judd screw back, they usually do it because they think there's a chance they might miss so they play a bit safe. Hendry knew he was going to knock it in so he played for prime position. And then he made a century.

I was thinking about this the other day. It's amazing how common that shot used to be, knocking in the long red and stunning the white for position on the black or use of the cushions, you'd even sometimes see players play the long drag shot to get on the black. Not just Hendry, but almost all the top players regularly tried it. I rarely see players attempt to land on the black anymore from a long red. It's all about going back up to land on one of the baulk colours now, even Ronnie does this more often than not.

Must be a quirk of the era.

True, but Ronnie still plays the Hendry shot at crucial times.