Post a reply

Who is the greatest long potter of all time ?

1. Neil Robertson
12%
2. Mark J. Williams
15%
3. Judd Trump
4%
4. Shaun Murphy
No votes
5. Stephen Hendry
62%
6. Other (please state)
8%

Total votes : 26

Re: Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots. No way Hendry wins it.

Anyway, u don't have to take my word for it. Just watch those finals yourself. Although he also made some great shots, he missed way too many to be considered the best.

I have watched a lot of Hendry matches as I'm a huge Hendry fan. His long potting was fantastic. Who would make the most long pots in practice? How would I know? Who would pot the most long pots in a real match? I say prime Hendry.

The Island has spoken, mate. Just look at the votes. Go watch some more Hendry matches on youtube. I'm not saying Judd and Robbo aren't brilliant, but you are definitely underestimating Hendry. He almost never refused a long pot in his prime, and look how many titles he's won.

yea thats the telling thing He hardly ever refused any pot in his prime and he was succesfull playing that way against players that would tie him up in Knotts if he missed.

Had he played a bit more conservative in latter career he would have won far more No disrespect to Ken Doherty but had Hendry played within himself in 1997 Ken Would not have won that title Stephen was far too interested in winning frames in one visit off a long pot than scrap the match out.

Sick and tired of this excuse constantly being trotted out by Hendry fans. It's similar to the one they also use for his loss to Ebdon in 2002, where apparently Hendry took Ebdon too lightly and if he had played properly he would have won 18-2 or something. <doh>

It's like the classic "Ronnie only loses when he's not focussed or his head wasn't right" excuse.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:How do you know? How many of them have you seen practising?

You seem very sure about something that’s based on your imagination.

I've seen countless Hendry matches, he's by no means a better long potter as far as I'm concerned. Why is that so hard to understand ?! :? :? :? :huh:

Hendry was superior to Robbo and Trump in some aspects of the game, but long potting wasn't one of them.

But you’re talking about practise. You have no idea how good he was in practise.

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry's been on for about half an hour so far and hasn't stopped talking about Ronnie.

Do u have a link ?

https://talksport.com/radio/schedule/2019-03-28/

He was on the Andy Goldstein Sports Bar yesterday at 10pm. Click on Listen Again button.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I've seen countless Hendry matches, he's by no means a better long potter as far as I'm concerned. Why is that so hard to understand ?! :? :? :? :huh:

Hendry was superior to Robbo and Trump in some aspects of the game, but long potting wasn't one of them.

But you’re talking about practise. You have no idea how good he was in practise.

I said "imagine it was practice", I didn't mean actual practice. My point was about potting ability, but not when there's a huge amount of pressure on making the shot. I based my conclusion on the matches I've seen of all top players.

Postby HustleKing

Sick and tired of this excuse constantly being trotted out by Hendry fans. It's similar to the one they also use for his loss to Ebdon in 2002, where apparently Hendry took Ebdon too lightly and if he had played properly he would have won 18-2 or something. <doh>

It's like the classic "Ronnie only loses when he's not focussed or his head wasn't right" excuse.[/quote]

It is somewhat of a valid argument though, Cloud. Ok, he might not have beat Ken or Ebdon playing more conservatively, but his chances would be upped considerably. He also would definitely have won 20+ TC's and 40+ rankers if he even played slightly more conservatively. Oh, and I'm not a Hendry fan, I wish Davis was top of the WC titles list!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:!2 members of this forum think Hendry was the greatest long potter.

It's similar to many people thnking Muhammad Ali was the greatest boxer of all time. With time, some sportsmen become more myth than reality.

I'll say it again: watch all Hendry matches u can find online. See how many long ones he takes on, divide those into categories of long pots. Then see how many he makes.
Do the same for Robbo, Trump, Willo, Smurf, ROS, etc. Than u can make an objective decision of who's the best.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I said "imagine it was practice", I didn't mean actual practice. My point was about potting ability, but not when there's a huge amount of pressure on making the shot. I based my conclusion on the matches I've seen of all top players.

I think you’re missing my point.

Postby Andre147

Fair play you Johhny for sticking to your convinctions... all of us have thrown countless arguments as to why we think Hendry was the greatest long potter, but you dont buy any of that lol...

I say Hendry and have seen many matches from him.

On a side note, I agree with Cloud... Hendry was simply outplayed. And if Hendry-fans use that excuse for his 1997 and 2002 losses, I could also make a case that Ronnie lost the 2014 Final because after a while he wasnt interested in safety play. If he were, he would have won.

But I believe Selby was superior and took advantage of Ronnie's frustration with tactical play.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Fair play you Johhny for sticking to your convinctions... all of us have thrown countless arguments as to why we think Hendry was the greatest long potter, but you dont buy any of that lol...

On a side note, I agree with Cloud... Hendry was simply outplayed. And if Hendry-fans use that excuse for his 1997 and 2002 losses, I could also make a case that Ronnie lost the 2014 Final because after a while he wasnt interested in safety play. If he were, he would have won.

But I believe Selby was superior and took advantage of Ronnie's frustration with tactical play.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Fair play you Johhny for sticking to your convinctions... all of us have thrown countless arguments as to why we think Hendry was the greatest long potter, but you dont buy any of that lol...

I think it’s a “two things” situation.

Hendry lost a lot of frames because he didn’t care about safety and probably lost those finals for that reason, but it was his choice not to care about it so it can’t be used as an excuse.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Lol Johnny if this is about practice then the winner is obviously Jimmy White!

If you ask about who's the greatest long potter, you cant dismiss things like pressure, etc.

Guys you got to be honest some of the things Johnny Bravo has said on here makes him out to be a fool

Since when is potting in practice ore important than under pressure rofl rofl rofl rofl

It's not about which is more important, my poll was simply about long potting ability, not who's more likely to make one under pressure. Of course someone like Trump is more likely to crumble under pressure than Hendry was. But Hendry is not capable of pulling off the same shots as Trump.

Are you thick or just pretending to be thick???

Who cares if someone can screw to mars and back if like you said he is more likely to crumble under pressure <doh> <doh>

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:This isn't about potting under pressure, it's just potting ability. Imagine if it was just practice, who could make most long pots. No way Hendry wins it.

Anyway, u don't have to take my word for it. Just watch those finals yourself. Although he also made some great shots, he missed way too many to be considered the best.

I have watched a lot of Hendry matches as I'm a huge Hendry fan. His long potting was fantastic. Who would make the most long pots in practice? How would I know? Who would pot the most long pots in a real match? I say prime Hendry.

The Island has spoken, mate. Just look at the votes. Go watch some more Hendry matches on youtube. I'm not saying Judd and Robbo aren't brilliant, but you are definitely underestimating Hendry. He almost never refused a long pot in his prime, and look how many titles he's won.

yea thats the telling thing He hardly ever refused any pot in his prime and he was succesfull playing that way against players that would tie him up in Knotts if he missed.

Had he played a bit more conservative in latter career he would have won far more No disrespect to Ken Doherty but had Hendry played within himself in 1997 Ken Would not have won that title Stephen was far too interested in winning frames in one visit off a long pot than scrap the match out.

It's like the classic "Ronnie only loses when he's not focussed or his head wasn't right" excuse.

its the truth live with it <doh>

how many here actually watched that match and i dont mean bullocks on youtube actually watched what was happening when it was happening. In 1997 Hendry after winning 5 times on the spin was complacent beyond belief he did not think for one minute he wouldnt win it cockyness yea bad attitude deffo but its 100% the truth why Ken won that match.

Postby Pink Ball

I agree with Wild. But at the end of the day, that can’t be used as a defense of Hendry. It was a flaw of his. It’s a huge part of why he is no longer considered the greatest player of all time. Snooker is about thinking clearly and making the right decisions. Something he couldn’t do. And when the opposition got stronger, he couldn’t cope.

He is definitely the greatest long potter of all time though.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:I agree with Wild. But at the end of the day, that can’t be used as a defense of Hendry. It was a flaw of his. It’s a huge part of why he is no longer considered the greatest player of all time. Snooker is about thinking clearly and making the right decisions. Something he couldn’t do. And when the opposition got stronger, he couldn’t cope.

Absalutly no defence I'm not saying Ken couldn't have adapted and still win we will never know but all he was doing was feeding off some reckless missed pots. Hendry did not want the break to stop no matter what which was bad and I was tearing my hair out at what I was seeing.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I agree with Wild. But at the end of the day, that can’t be used as a defense of Hendry. It was a flaw of his. It’s a huge part of why he is no longer considered the greatest player of all time. Snooker is about thinking clearly and making the right decisions. Something he couldn’t do. And when the opposition got stronger, he couldn’t cope.

Absalutly no defence I'm not saying Ken couldn't have adapted and still win we will never know but all he was doing was feeding off some reckless missed pots. Hendry did not want the break to stop no matter what which was bad and I was tearing my hair out at what I was seeing.

That’s all Doherty had to do. I think he was very comfortable for most of that final. Hendry actually outscored him, yet Doherty never looked in any real danger. Even during the five-frame run I knew he’d come good.

If he needed to adapt in the closing frames, I think he would have. Doherty was a very clever player. Much smarter than Hendry.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Hendry wasn't complacent. He played the only way he knew how to, and the way which had brought him unprecedented success.

Why change a winning formula for one match? People weren't criticising Hendry for his gung-ho strategy when he was winning, but it suddenly became a problem because he lost? He played the same way for large parts against Jimmy in 1992 and also in 1994, and won on both occasions.

Let's face it, the real issue for Hendry in this match wasn't his strategy, it was the fact he was suddenly up against an opponent who could punish his mistakes and wasn't going to bottle it like Jimmy did.

Postby Andre147

Yeah its silly to suggest Hendry should have played differently just because he lost.

He was on the back of 5 consecutive World Titles, why would he change it? Like Cloud says, this time he was up against someone who could actually punish his mistakes.

We will never know if Hendry would have won had he played differently. My guess is he would have still lost, Pink Ball says it all, Doherty was a very clever player and could adapt to any tactics thrown at him.

Postby Wildey

Guys seriously you really dont know much about Hendry's Game if you think that. At his peak he could mix it and to overpower Steve Davis he had to all out recklesness would not have worked theres a mile of different in how he had success and the way he played in that final vs Ken.

Postby TheRocket

Its not that match against Doherty which will haunt Hendry. Its the final against Ebdon in 2002 which was a big body blow to him and maybe one reason (not the only one) for his rapid decline. He never recovered from that defeat.

It could have been the perfect career end for Hendry had he won that match. I'm pretty sure he thought there was no way he was gonna lose the match. That combined with the fact that Ebdon probably played his best match ever caused that very painful defeat in the end.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Its not that match against Doherty which will haunt Hendry. Its the final against Ebdon in 2002 which was a big body blow to him and maybe one reason (not the only one) for his rapid decline. He never recovered from that defeat.

It could have been the perfect career end for Hendry had he won that match. I'm pretty sure he thought there was no way he was gonna lose the match. That combined with the fact that Ebdon probably played his best match ever caused that very painful defeat in the end.

Yes that match will forever stay in his memory as his biggest fail.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Of course I don't, I've watched the man play. And not just on youtube, but in real life, when I was a kid. It was on TV of course, but I saw him nonetheless.
Was he a great long potter ? Hell yes, among the best ever.
Was he the best ever ? Hell no.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Of course I don't, I've watched the man play. And not just on youtube, but in real life, when I was a kid. It was on TV of course, but I saw him nonetheless.

Over the year or so you been on here you have had a mission to discredit hendry at every turn so your opinion on this means rubbish

Postby Pink Ball

Hendry wouldn’t have anywhere near seven world titles of his long potting wasn’t as good as it was. I can’t think of another player in history who utilized his long potting as well as he did. Whenever I saw White leave him a long red, my heart used to sink because I knew exactly what would happen.

Nobody else inspired anywhere near that level of certainty before or since. Hendry was the best long potter ever. Not the most spectacular because he’d so often hold for the black. But certainly the most effective, therefore the best.

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:

I don't get this snobbery regarding YouTube. I mean, why is that? Does YouTube only upload snooker videos from an alternate reality where matches differ from those broadcast on live television? I just don't understand it.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I don't get this snobbery regarding YouTube. I mean, why is that? Does YouTube only upload snooker videos from an alternate reality where matches differ from those broadcast on live television? I just don't understand it.

Yeah, it’s a load of bullocks. It’s the same bucking match.