Post a reply

Re: Overrated / Underrated

Postby Wildey

did not say that but you dont know much about 90s snooker or you would not have said what you have said on this thread im sorry if that upset you but truth hurts sometime.

Postby Wildey

Theres this culture going on at the moment of belittling every last thing Stephen Hendry did as a player. i cant remember anyone saying in the 90s Winning 4 WC is like winning 6 in the 80s etc etc etc.

Sorry but guys if you going to even attempt to go down that road you will be having it back with both barrels.

Postby Dan-cat

I was watching in the late 80s and 90s and Hendry was a dominating tour de force. It got totally boring as a snooker fan. Unless you saw him week in week out perform like this you just wouldn't have this perception, you couldn't imagine it. Ronnie has taken 25 years to get somewhere close to Hendry's tally of titles, Hendry did it in a few short years, with a lot less tournaments to go at.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:I was watching in the late 80s and 90s and Hendry was a dominating tour de force. It got totally boring as a snooker fan. Unless you saw him week in week out perform like this you just wouldn't have this perception, you couldn't imagine it. Ronnie has taken 25 years to get somewhere close to Hendry's tally of titles, Hendry did it in a few short years, with a lot less tournaments to go at.

ROS has had to deal with turmoils in his personal life that Hendry never had.
ROS also faced superior competition.
I'll say it again: If Hendry was so good than why couldn't he win a single major after the age of 30 ?
Answer: cause his game was too one-dimensional. I worked well in the early 90's against the dinosaurs from the 80's and the young talents (class of 92 included) coming through, but when those guys matured, they started dominating Hendry.

Postby Iranu

Can we please not go over all this again :zzz: I think 400 times is enough.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Can we please not go over all this again :zzz: I think 400 times is enough.

:goodpost:

Seconded.

This is supposed to be an Overrated / Underrated thread. Not another tedious GOAT debate.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I was watching in the late 80s and 90s and Hendry was a dominating tour de force. It got totally boring as a snooker fan. Unless you saw him week in week out perform like this you just wouldn't have this perception, you couldn't imagine it. Ronnie has taken 25 years to get somewhere close to Hendry's tally of titles, Hendry did it in a few short years, with a lot less tournaments to go at.

ROS has had to deal with turmoils in his personal life that Hendry never had.
ROS also faced superior competition.
I'll say it again: If Hendry was so good than why couldn't he win a single major after the age of 30 ?
Answer: cause his game was too one-dimensional. I worked well in the early 90's against the dinosaurs from the 80's and the young talents (class of 92 included) coming through, but when those guys matured, they started dominating Hendry.

Just because Hendry wasent broadcasting every last detail of his private life doesn't mean he didnt have problems

non of the Class of 92 dominated Hendry take a look at their head to heads yea Ronnie has a 30-21 head to hed but up to 2003 when hendry was quite clearly struggling with his game it was 20-19 to Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:Can we please not go over all this again :zzz: I think 400 times is enough.

When Idiots stops posting bucking rubbish until then tough tits

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Why did nobody answer my Marco Fu one?

Because we've got to discuss Hendry now.

Welcome to the Hendry thread. <ok>

Postby TheRocket

I can.

I'd say his ability of "playing the balls" and not his opponent is underrated. He's not scared or intimidated by certain opponents. He played the likes of prime ROS,Higgins ,Williams and he's always done well against them.

What part of Shaun Murphys game is overrated?

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:

I can.

I'd say his ability of "playing the balls" and not his opponent is underrated. He's not scared or intimidated by certain opponents. He played the likes of prime ROS,Higgins ,Williams and he's always done well against them.

What part of Shaun Murphys game is overrated?

None. Almost everyone agrees that he has amazing technique and is great potter (especially long pots), but nobody credits any other area of his game.

Postby Alex0paul

What part of Hamza Akbar’s game is overrated?

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:What part of Hamza Akbar’s game is overrated?

Hendry won only one major after 1996

What part of his game was overrated?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:

And he only got the so called "yips" (personally I think that's just a made up excuse) around 2002.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

And he only got the so called "yips" (personally I think that's just a made up excuse) around 2002.

Persanally i think Ronnies Mental Problems is a made up excuse and he was just waiting for hendry to decline before starting to win anything substantial.

he had to find something to moan about why he couldnt reach World Finals during the 90s

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Stephen Lee's cue action is overrated.

No it isn't. Lee had a great technique.

Stephen Lee's cue action was phenomenal. One of the best ever.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet wrote:Stephen Lee's cue action is overrated.

Please read the opening post <ok>

Postby Iranu

Bump!

Stephen Hendry’s talent is underrated. He won his first ranking title only 6 years after he picked up a cue.

Edit: I realise this doesn’t relate to SF’s question; I was thinking about this anyway and didn’t see his post.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Bump!

Stephen Hendry’s talent is underrated. He won his first ranking title only 6 years after he picked up a cue.

Edit: I realise this doesn’t relate to SF’s question; I was thinking about this anyway and didn’t see his post.

Don't worry.

It was a year ago, I can't even remember why I asked it.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:It was a year ago, I can't even remember why I asked it.

If I had to guess, it was because you wanted to know what part of Stephen Hendry's game was overrated.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Murphy's long game. Overrated.

I don't mind Murphy but I don't think his long game is that special any more.

I couldn’t agree more. He’s very consistent at certain types of long pot but other that he’s nothing special. Probably about the level of Mark Allen’s, if that.