Post a reply

Re: Overrated / Underrated

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Comparing eras is bit pointless I agree.

But Hendry did have opponents eho bottled matches against him, namely White and Hallet. However, even ROS has to had opponents who were beat before they struck a ball.

When you're an all time great it puts that kind of fear and pressure into your opponents.

When Hendry beat White from 14-8 it is unfair to call it bottleed from White Stephen Hendry won that match from well behind playing attacking snooker and getting them he closed that final out with back to back centuries in the final 2 frames.

Yea the decider he missed a black but didnt Ronnie miss a yellow who thinks Ronnie Bottled it against ursenbacher?

for some bizare reason when you miss pots in deciders its called bottled but to get to a decider both players potted and missed pots in most frames whats the difference arent you allowed to miss pots in decider but in 1st frame you can miss whatever you want.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Underrated speed wise: Graeme Dott.

Dott is quite fast I agree

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Underrated speed wise: Graeme Dott.

Dott is quite fast I agree

to his detrement.

Dott was starting to get results got criticised badly for 2006 win and never really recovered from that a few good results but nothing really substantial he was never going to be Ronnie you got to play to the best you can to be a winner.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Comparing eras is bit pointless I agree.

But Hendry did have opponents eho bottled matches against him, namely White and Hallet. However, even ROS has to had opponents who were beat before they struck a ball.

When you're an all time great it puts that kind of fear and pressure into your opponents.

When Hendry beat White from 14-8 it is unfair to call it bottleed from White Stephen Hendry won that match from well behind playing attacking snooker and getting them he closed that final out with back to back centuries in the final 2 frames.

Yea the decider he missed a black but didnt Ronnie miss a yellow who thinks Ronnie Bottled it against ursenbacher?

for some bizare reason when you miss pots in deciders its called bottled but to get to a decider both players potted and missed pots in most frames whats the difference arent you allowed to miss pots in decider but in 1st frame you can miss whatever you want.

I wasnt talking about 94, every player is entitled to miss balls.

However, you cant deny it, to lose 10 frames in a row from 14-8 up is called bottling. You just focusing on last 2 frames, but the damage was done way before then. And Hallet missing crucial balls at The Masters to win is also a huge bottle job.

Dont be afraid to admit players have bottled it and their opponents only won because of it, because this has happened, with many ROS opponents too, who can forget how Wenbo bottled a black in 2016 to win against him... ROS would not have been champion otherwise.

Not every huge miss is a bottle, that much I agree, but others simply are, you cant deny it.

Postby Wildey

Believe you me mate Jimmy got 1 clear chance in the final 7 frames of that match Hendry made 3 centuries

Postby Wildey

Mike Hallett on the other hand had a lot of Chances in the Masters final he just couldnt string anything together and that definitly was a bottle Job

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Believe you me mate Jimmy got 1 clear chance in the final 7 frames of that match Hendry made 3 centuries

I have watched it, and Hendry wouldnt have had the chance to comeback and make those centuries in the first place had White taken his chances and not start to bottle them.

Well even he has admited that at 14-8 up he started thinking about his winners speech.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:Believe you me mate Jimmy got 1 clear chance in the final 7 frames of that match Hendry made 3 centuries

I have watched it, and Hendry wouldnt have had the chance to comeback and make those centuries in the first place had White taken his chances and not start to bottle them.

Well even he has admited that at 14-8 up he started thinking about his winners speech.

Mate seriously you only see what you want to see sometime thats not even close to being acurate yea Jimmy missed but Hendry missed very little under More pressure than White was at 6 frames behind

Whitch takes us back to the Mental toughness buisness Hendry was the toughest at handling thoes kind of situation Yea the likes of Selby has made monumental comebacks but what Makes Hendry above him Hendry never compramised his atacking Game.

Postby Andre147

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

At least we both see that Masters final was one of the biggest bottle jobs the sport has seen.

Postby Pink Ball

Those two frames either side of the break between the third and fourth session will always haunt me. Had White won even one of them, I honestly think that might have been that.

White hardly scored 100 points after that. Hendry was terrific.

Weird as it may sound, I’ve seen far clearer bottle jobs. Willie Thorne against Steve Davis (85). Mike Hallet against Stephen Hendry (91). Paul Hunter against Ken Doherty (03). Matthew Stevens against Shaun Murphy (07). Martin Gould against Natalie Robertson (10). Luca Brecel against Marco Fu (17). Cao Yupeng against Natalie Robertson (17).

Postby vodkadiet

Overrated: Quentin Hanna's ability under pressure. I saw him miss the easiest final black in history to beat Graeme Dott in a match many years ago.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:This isn't a Hendry thread.

The Hendry aspect of this thread is underrated.

Now tell me something about Neil Robertson's game that's overrated.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:This isn't a Hendry thread.

The Hendry aspect of this thread is underrated.

Now tell me something about Neil Robertson's game that's overrated.

That what happens when people talk so much rubbish.

Others can either forget it and let it go or Say it as it was im never going to let rubbish be said about anything on this website it gives wrong impression about things.

Postby Iranu

Johnny, Cloud and Andre make good points though, they're not talking rubbish.

(I'm a massive hypocrite obviously because I often play a part in derailing threads, but this is different because it's my thread dammit :grrr: )

As for Neil Robertson, I'd say his safety play. It's no coincidence that he starts to leak frames when he shuts up shop and relies on his tactical game.

What part of Peter Ebdon's game is underrated?

Postby Wildey

sorry but they are no getting away from that

They didnt even know Steve James won a ranking event thats how much 90s knawladge they have im not saying they dont know about snooker but stay on subject they know something about and 90s snooker is not one of them.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:sorry but they are no getting away from that

They didnt even know Steve James won a ranking event thats how much 90s knawladge they have im not saying they dont know about snooker but stay on subject they know something about and 90s snooker is not one of them.

But Hendry played for 12 years after the 90s were over, discussing his mental strength in the vacuum of his most successful period isn't really fair. It's not like he was an old man after his last WC win.

I think it's fair to say his drop off in success after that was due to a combination of better opposition, redcued motivation and dininished mental strength.

Postby TheRocket

Reduced motivation is nothing else than an excuse btw. Its like saying Ronnie doesnt care about records and just plays for fun. But we saw his celebration at the UK final and how much it means for him to break records.

But getting back to the topic and Hendry. Just for the record. Hendry didnt retire after winning his seventh World title in 1999. He still played until 2012 because he wanted to win more Worlds,UK's,Masters. Badly. For Hendry it was all about winning titles and winning everything he competed in.

But he couldnt do it. He wasnt good enough anymore. Thats why he didnt win a single major after 1999. And he was just 30 btw after winning his seventh world title. Not 40 something.

Postby Wildey

Hendry had done it all by 30 Ronnie at 43 still hasent reached 36 rankers and still hasent won 7 WC mtivation for hendry had gone he started a family practice became a bore no goals to aim for he had done all he really wanted yea he carried on but any fool cold see he wasent as motivated had he had Ronnie winning World Titles in the 90s that would have spured him on and given him something to aim for.

Only Higgins won the WC in the 90s and it took him almost 10 years to win his second.

Postby sas6789

Iranu wrote:Johnny, Cloud and Andre make good points though, they're not talking rubbish.

(I'm a massive hypocrite obviously because I often play a part in derailing threads, but this is different because it's my thread dammit :grrr: )

As for Neil Robertson, I'd say his safety play. It's no coincidence that he starts to leak frames when he shuts up shop and relies on his tactical game.

Lol, Johnny knows absolutely nothing about snooker. Is him saying Allen would wipe the floor with Hendry a "good point"?

Postby Wildey

This will be unpopular

Overated Paul Hunter achievmants

Yea he won the Masters and they were great wins but he did win the Welsh Open in 1998 and only reached 5 ranking finals in total winning 3. 2 of thoes the Welsh Open and lost to a past it Jimmy White in 2004 scottish open.

Yea he did die young and tragicly im sure he would have won more but facts are he didnt. but despite his record he has earned legenderry status but someone like Neil Robertson who has won far more hasent.

Postby Iranu

sas6789 wrote:Lol, Johnny knows absolutely nothing about snooker. Is him saying Allen would wipe the floor with Hendry a "good point"?

No.

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Johnny, Cloud and Andre make good points though, they're not talking rubbish.

Lol, Johnny knows absolutely nothing about snooker. Is him saying Allen would wipe the floor with Hendry a "good point"?

I meant he would do that from that scoreline.
Let's get serious guys, is there anyone here who thinks Hendry would have come back against the top players I mentioned from being 14-8 down ?

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

I meant he would do that from that scoreline.
Let's get serious guys, is there anyone here who thinks Hendry would have come back against the top players I mentioned from being 14-8 down ?

yea why not Hunter did it against Ronnie and Hendry played a similar game to Hunter but better.

Postby Andre147

Dont start with the "he knows little about snooker" thing...

We all saw how that panned out at the China Championship.

I didnt bother to look whether Steve James won a ranker, abd trusted Cloud's word for it, otherwise I would have checked like I normally do.

I just mentioned something about the 92 world final, Wild doesnt agree with me. Big deal, different opinions, thats all.

Like I say, if you're gonna start with that bull argument that I know little then I'm afraid its the China Champs thread revisited.