Post a reply

Re: How did you get into snooker?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:A lot of us are fairly recent then.

I thought there'd be more who watched the Hendry vs White era.

Yeah I was surprised by that.

Seems I am the old codger here.

You should all treat me with more respect. rofl

Postby Cloud Strife

I wonder if there are any members on here who got into snooker during the Joe Davis era. Has to be at least one or two, surely.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

BSP. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I wonder if there are any members on here who got into snooker during the Joe Davis era. Has to be at least one or two, surely.

:chin:

Postby rekoons

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Not a chance Old Man!

:chuckle:

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Bah!
You lot don't know you're born.
When I started playing the balls were bigger than the pockets and the nap was an inch deep.

You used to play snooker with basketballs, didn't you? :gramp:

Postby Alex0paul

The first World Championship I remember properly watching was 99

Postby Pink Ball

It was 1976, and I was down the skate park with my crew, busting out some sick-ass moves on the halfpipe.

We took a break and each had a carton of Sunny-D, when one of the boys called us over to look at a chill video on his smartphone.

The video showed an up and coming young talent from China called Ding Junhui. I was mesmerised and was hooked on snooker.

We skated to the ghetto to play for ourselves at the snooker club on westside. I got caught up in gang warfare for many years, but I never lost my love of snooker and promoted the game as a means of bringing the rival factions in our locality together.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:It was 1976, and I was down the skate park with my crew, busting out some sick-ass moves on the halfpipe.

We took a break and each had a carton of Sunny-D, when one of the boys called us over to look at a chill video on his smartphone.

The video showed an up and coming young talent from China called Ding Junhui. I was mesmerised and was hooked on snooker.

We skated to the ghetto to play for ourselves at the snooker club on westside. I got caught up in gang warfare for many years, but I never lost my love of snooker and promoted the game as a means of bringing the rival factions in our locality together.

Seems factual.

Postby Ash147

Pink Ball wrote:It was 1976, and I was down the skate park with my crew, busting out some sick-ass moves on the halfpipe.

Are you Phil Yates?

Postby Dan-cat

I can’t remember the exact moment I fell in love with snooker but I do remember being about 5 years old, roaming between the tables at the Ripley Star club, the private members club in our tiny faux-French style village in North Yorkshire. My friend Anthony’s Mum was the caretaker of the club and as she hoovered we were allowed to run riot in the games room. All manner of cue sports lived here, from the vast slate slabs of seemingly endless baize of the 12 ft x 6 ft full size snooker tables, the young upstart that was the 8 ball English pool table and the strange upturned mushrooms of the bar billiards table. To me this vast room of adult pleasures was glorious. I read a study that claimed that what happens in the first five years of a child’s life is very, very important. This period is critical to the child’s development of imagination and creativity. Well snooker got stuck in there. I was really lucky, my Dad was in a band so I was surrounded by musical instruments and songs being written in our front room in our tiny tied cottage (my mum worked in the farmhouse each morning in lieu of rent.)

Then when I was about 9 my mum met my future stepdad and he took us to his mum's farm in Pateley Bridge. She had the snooker on all the time and I was drawn in by the dulcet hushed tones of the commentators. I loved it. It would have been 1982 - the year the Hurricane won is second Worlds. Once again, an older woman, my step-gran, who passed on the love to me.

...and then fast forward to 1985 and the black ball finish. I was 12 and it was the latest I'd ever been allowed to stay up and the whole family was glued to watch Dennis Taylor wagging his finger :)

I wanted the nugget to win. I loved his play.

*edit: I wrote the top paragraph years ago on a similar thread

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:

Seems factual.

What?

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:I can’t remember the exact moment I fell in love with snooker but I do remember being about 5 years old, roaming between the tables at the Ripley Star club, the private members club in our tiny faux-French style village in North Yorkshire. My friend Anthony’s Mum was the caretaker of the club and as she hoovered we were allowed to run riot in the games room. All manner of cue sports lived here, from the vast slate slabs of seemingly endless baize of the 12 ft x 6 ft full size snooker tables, the young upstart that was the 8 ball English pool table and the strange upturned mushrooms of the bar billiards table. To me this vast room of adult pleasures was glorious. I read a study that claimed that what happens in the first five years of a child’s life is very, very important. This period is critical to the child’s development of imagination and creativity. Well snooker got stuck in there. I was really lucky, my Dad was in a band so I was surrounded by musical instruments and songs being written in our front room in our tiny tied cottage (my mum worked in the farmhouse each morning in lieu of rent.)

Then when I was about 9 my mum met my future stepdad and he took us to his mum's farm in Pateley Bridge. She had the snooker on all the time and I was drawn in by the dulcet hushed tones of the commentators. I loved it. It would have been 1982 - the year the Hurricane won is second Worlds. Once again, an older woman, my step-gran, who passed on the love to me.

...and then fast forward to 1985 and the black ball finish. I was 12 and it was the latest I'd ever been allowed to stay up and the whole family was glued to watch Dennis Taylor wagging his finger :)

I wanted the nugget to win. I loved his play.

*edit: I wrote the top paragraph years ago on a similar thread

Horseshit. Fake news. Lies.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Seems factual.

What?

You don't know what facts are?

Postby SteveJJ

My first memory of snooker was it being on tv in the background as I played along on of those tea tray style tables. Must have been about 4 or 5. This would have been mid 80's. I dont really remember many of the matches but I really got hooked when I saw Hendry on television.

I progressed to a bigger kids table at home and then when I was about 7 my dad took me to a local club who had a half sized table. That club closed pretty soon after and the next one I attended was starting a junior section every Sunday morning. To which i attended until I went to uni. Len Ganley once presented me with trophies as he was the special guest at the end of season prize day.

Anyway, this club had a lot of exhibitions. So i met a lot of the players of the day. Hendry signed my cue.

In terms of live tournaments, Me and my dad went to the Grand Prix when it was in Reading. I remember being upset when my dad bought tickets for the wrong match and thus missing out on seeing Hendry.

Again, I remember watching snooker with my nan, who was friends with Andy Hicks' nan. So we were glued to the tv when he had that run at the Worlds.

Now like most of you, I continue to watch as much as I can and am still as into snooker as I was when I was little.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Must have been a thrill meeting Hendry SteveJJ. :hatoff:

My dad was a decorator and I can always remember when I worked with him that whenever we were working at older ladies' houses they seemed to have the snooker on. I think part of the attraction was the suits that they wore and looking like gentlemen.

Postby Wildey

I Got in to Snooker in 1981 when my younger Sister got a 4ft table for Christmas (random gift) but Snooker was the in word in the 80s. Anyway i played on it more than my sister did and then in 1982 i saw Alex Higgins mesmerizing Flamboyance on TV and his reaction to becoming World Champion and been hooked ever since. i was 11 at the time.

Postby PLtheRef

I always find these kinds of threads really interesting to read.

Being from where I am, six miles away from the Crucible Theatre, that I have been very fortunate to be able to follow what is arguably my favourite sport, in such detail.

I'd had the little pot-black table when I was about four or five, and had always enjoyed playing pool when on my holidays but had never really watched snooker on the television until I was about seven. - I can remember seeing John Higgins' 118 break at the end of the 1998 World Championship Final and then had become engrossed watching the 1999 Final knowing that Stephen Hendry was going for some record of some kind - but the times I would watch the snooker would be sat with my Grandad babysitting if Mum and Dad had gone to watch a session.

2000 was the first World Championship I followed in great detail. I can remember watching Hendry getting knocked out by someone I'd never heard of before (at the time) before the following morning being told that there was a ticket for me to go with Mum and Dad to watch the evening session at the Crucible - I was about eight weeks off my tenth birthday, and I can remember watching Peter Ebdon v Dominic Dale with Eirian Williams as the referee, whilst on the other side Mark Williams had finished his match against John Read early on the other side of the curtain

In 2001, I can remember us being away for Easter, and coming home to ask my Auntie Catherine anxiously what had I missed in terms of results - I can remember her saying not to worry and that I hadn't missed anything, that the Championships started on the following Saturday

It was 2001/2002 where I started to follow the season in any detail and that before we had Sky was limited mainly to the BBC's then four events. How times have changed for a terrestrial snooker fan in this country. And, for the better.

52 Matches I have been lucky enough to see at the Crucible, including Four Finals, and 13 World Championship Semi-Finals. - Add to that being able to see 3 UK Finals, and two other ranking event Finals live. I've been able to see Two 147s as well as the 100th century of the season which Robertson made back in 2014.

Like I said, I have been very lucky.

Postby Dan-cat

Ash147 wrote:

Are you Phil Yates?

He’s a few Qs short a tin of alphabet soup.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:Being from where I am, six miles away from the Crucible Theatre,

i live 143 miles from the crucible :sad:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Being from where I am, six miles away from the Crucible Theatre,

i live 143 miles from the crucible :sad:

That's nothing. I'm 370 miles from The Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

I have no idea how many miles I live from The Crucible. You can probably work it out on Google.

Edit. Apparently, I live 156 miles from The Crucible. It would take me 56 hours to walk it....

To drive, apparently I'd have to drive 205 miles to get there.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:I have no idea how many miles I live from The Crucible. You can probably work it out on Google.

Edit. Apparently, I live 156 miles from The Crucible. It would take me 56 hours to walk it....

It would be a very long walk, and a very long swim as well, for me.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I have no idea how many miles I live from The Crucible. You can probably work it out on Google.

56 hours. You'd need breaks. It would take a week!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

56 hours. You'd need breaks. It would take a week!

And I would take the train. <ok>