Post a reply

Re: How did you get into snooker?

Postby Dan-cat

When I was about 13 I got a second hand six-foot Steve Davis table. I remember my stepdad being annoyed that we didn't negotiate when we went to collect it, I was so excited I just blurted out 'yes we'll have it!' as soon as I saw it.

I didn't have a big room, so it was pushed into a corner. It made me work hard on positional play because I could only shoot from the two sides of the table. When I transitioned to playing pool in the village pub when I was 16 my positional play was so good one of my team mates dubbed me Dansterposition. 'It's not juxtaposition, it's Dansterposition!' he called out one day as I cleared up the table.

Another time I was playing pool in Amsterdam, about five years ago, and I played these two guys for about 20 frames and didn't lose a frame. Towards the end they were getting annoyed and one said 'Dan, why are they always lined up for you?!' and I replied 'it's called positional play.' Bet they loved me even more after that!

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I have no idea how many miles I live from The Crucible. You can probably work it out on Google.

Edit. Apparently, I live 156 miles from The Crucible. It would take me 56 hours to walk it....

To drive, apparently I'd have to drive 205 miles to get there.

56 hours. You'd need breaks. It would take a week!

And I would take the train. <ok>

If you did walk there, you'd be guaranteed an appearance on the bbc as a superfan.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I have no idea how many miles I live from The Crucible. You can probably work it out on Google.

Edit. Apparently, I live 156 miles from The Crucible. It would take me 56 hours to walk it....

To drive, apparently I'd have to drive 205 miles to get there.

56 hours. You'd need breaks. It would take a week!

And I would take the train. <ok>

If you did walk there, you'd be guaranteed an appearance on the bbc as a superfan.

If I didn't get a pre-show mention from Rob Walker, I'd be gutted.

Postby hendry_fan

I canny remember EXACTLY when i started watching snooker,but i remember witnessing good old Cliff Thorburns *147* live on the telly which he made on the 23. April 1983.

I,ll never forget when Jack Karnham said,"keep rolling",cause i thought the same,i was urging the cue call to keep rolling,i thought he,d under hit it,or that he was gonna snooker himself on the final red. :-)

Cliffs magical maxi is actually the furthest back i can remember as far as watching snookers concerned.

I know though that i saw Davis quite often bfore seeing Cliffs *147*,i,m guessing that i started watching snooker about 2 years bfore Cliffs maxi,so i,ve probably been watching since about 1980/81 ish.

I can also remember seeing Kirks *147*,which was done on the 28. Januar 1984,that maxi,i was also lucky to witness it LIVE,i also saw it on a tiny black n white portable telly. <laugh>

I remember very clearly,thinking,what a difficult green to brown and final black he had,watching it these days,the black was,nt that difficult,but i was just a young teen gun and was still a newie at the game,actually,i guess it a was a difficult black,especially due to the circumstances,i was so pleased for Kirk. :happy:

As far as when i first started playing snooker,well,i must be gettin old,cause i canny remember that exactly neither.

I,d say it was around 1984/85.

It was my Dad who got me playing,he used to play against a freind from his work,he knew i watched snooker on the tv,so he decided to take me with him to watch him n his freind play.

After takin me a few times,he started to play against me,for the first 2,3 years i never ever beat him until i got a 6ft snooker table for my christmas.

I was so hooked on it,i played every single day,after about 6 months,i beat him for the first time ever,bfore i knew it,i started beating him on a regular basis,until it got to the stage,that i beat him everytime.

His motivation of playing against me started to plunge,The dumpling started to come out with excuses from,that he was tired,wanted to watch telly,had a sore back,had to help my mum cook. rofl

Thanx to me always beatin him,My poor Dad totally lost interest,he never recoverd from his losses and literaly hardly even watched snooker anymore. :dizzy: :-D

Last year,i asked him if he watches snooker these days,he replied,"nah". :-( :-D

Since i started playing n watching snooker,i,ve had many breaks,but since a good few years,i watch very often.

Playing wise,well,i,ve gotten very lazy tbh,especially the last 5,6 years.

Sometimes i,d play once a week for 3,4 months,but then suddenly i did,nt even pick up my cue for 3,4 months. :dizzy:

I have,nt played this year so far,i,m thinking bout goin for a game next week though.

Postby hendry_fan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Good stuff HF - love the story about beating your dad...

Aye,me too. ;-) <laugh>

I was just thinking,i must be one of the oldest members of Snooker Island.

I,m a great Grandpa of SI. :happy: :-D

I,m 50 years old. :dizzy: :-D

Postby Badsnookerplayer

hendry_fan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Good stuff HF - love the story about beating your dad...

Aye,me too. ;-) <laugh>

I was just thinking,i must be one of the oldest members of Snooker Island.

I,m a great Grandpa of SI. :happy: :-D

I,m 50 years old. :dizzy: :-D

Not far behind you HF

Postby Alex0paul

Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:The first World Championship I remember properly watching was 99

Another newbie johnny-come-lately :hyper:

I remember the 97 and 98 world championship finals vaguely and I must have watched some other stuff as I knew who most of the players were in 99.

Postby Juddernaut88

I actually got into Snooker from my dad, I was about 3 at the time and my dad liked Stephen Hendry and I, of course, did the same thing. I got a small 3-foot pool table for my 4th birthday, I played it sometimes but never really developed or anything. This is something I look back on now with huge regret! I only really watched the BBC tournaments as like most people in the 90's didn't have cable or Sky, I kind of ever only watched Snooker sparingly in the late '90s as football would turn into the main Sport for me but I still enjoyed watching the world championship and the odd tournament here and there.
My love for Snooker came back in 2002 and from that moment onwards Snooker was very important, I've tried to follow as many tournaments as possible since then (apart from the PTC events from 2010-2016) it's gotten to the stage now where in the last 10 years or so part of me prefers Snooker to football!

Postby SnookerEd25

Another of the old-timers here; I first watched during the dawning of the television era. It was either 79 or 80, probably the latter as I don't think they had daily afternoon coverage in 79.

Anyway, I was 5 or 6, my dad was looking after me and he had the snooker on one afternoon. I wanted to watch my children's programmes (Play School, I think) at around 4 0'clock. He said that if i sat quietly and didn't disturb him, I could watch my programmes and he'd go upstairs and watch the end of the snooker on the black and white portable.

Come 4PM, he said i'd been so good and so quiet, the telly was all mine and he disappeared upstairs. I watched my programme for a few minutes, and then turned back to the snooker.

I was hooked!

Postby Pink Ball

Pink Ball wrote:It was 1976, and I was down the skate park with my crew, busting out some sick-ass moves on the halfpipe.

We took a break and each had a carton of Sunny-D, when one of the boys called us over to look at a chill video on his smartphone.

The video showed an up and coming young talent from China called Ding Junhui. I was mesmerised and was hooked on snooker.

We skated to the ghetto to play for ourselves at the snooker club on westside. I got caught up in gang warfare for many years, but I never lost my love of snooker and promoted the game as a means of bringing the rival factions in our locality together.

Ah yes

Postby Juddernaut88

Dan-cat wrote:Thats because snooker is infinitely better than football, and it sounds nicer. <laugh>

It is especially when your football team aren't doing that great haha.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:For those of you watching in black and white, the yellow is next to the blue :-D

Where's the cue ball going?

Which one is the cue ball?

Postby ecciepeccie

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Thats because snooker is infinitely better than football, and it sounds nicer. <laugh>

It is especially when your football team aren't doing that great haha.

What team be that?

Postby ecciepeccie

SnookerFan wrote:No football team are doing well at the moment.

True, unless you're a Dinamo Minsk fan

Postby SnookerFan

ecciepeccie wrote:

Well, aren't we all?

Postby ecciepeccie

SnookerFan wrote:
ecciepeccie wrote:

Well, aren't we all?

pmsl

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Dennis Taylor now speaking on Talksport

Yeah I'm listening to it now. He's talking about the 1985 final, you'd be surprised to know.