Post a reply

Re: Selby with more WCs than Ronnie?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan will probably have five or six more good shots st it the way things are going.

Probably right.

If Selby gets his finger out or Judd decides to realise his talent he will have a struggle. 2017 Selby would be too strong for any current WC contender. I thought that semi vs Ding and comeback vs Higgins were incredible.

At the moment ROS is is in better shape than either though to be fair Judd dealt with ROS fairly well in the NI Open final.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:At the moment ROS is is in better shape than either though to be fair Judd dealt with ROS fairly well in the NI Open final.

True, and we shouldn't try to take anything away from Judd's win. But...in terms of what that match can tell us about Judd's current level of play vs. Ronnie's current level of play, I would say that it doesn't say much, considering that Ronnie (1) didn't take that event very seriously from the start (having just won the CoC), (2) probably never intended to make it to the final and would have been happy to have lost early on so he could spend more time on the couch with Eurosport, (3) probably spent almost all of his remaining energy/enthusiasm beating Selby in the previous match, and (4) probably already felt like he had "won" that week just by beating Selby.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:To be fair D4P I think you have just taken everything away from Judd's victory.

rofl

That was a risk I was willing to take... :evilgrin:

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think the last three posts sum it up well - Johhny, Rocket and Andre :hatoff:

If Ronnie is ever to have a another WC then this season will be the one.

He is on the back of some great form and seems to have the appetite for longer matches (I think). For me he is favourite for WC 2019.

Most of us said the same last season, that IT had to be the one when he won another World Title because he'd just won 5 rankers.

And we saw what happened v Carter. It's more down to his appetite to have another crack at it than anything else.

Since he's playing much less this season, this might be in his favour.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:To be fair D4P I think you have just taken everything away from Judd's victory.

rofl

That was a risk I was willing to take... :evilgrin:

You are a good poster. I hope you stay around.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan will probably have five or six more good shots st it the way things are going.

Probably right.

If Selby gets his finger out or Judd decides to realise his talent he will have a struggle. 2017 Selby would be too strong for any current WC contender. I thought that semi vs Ding and comeback vs Higgins were incredible.

At the moment ROS is is in better shape than either though to be fair Judd dealt with ROS fairly well in the NI Open final.

I have no doubt Sullivan will win a sixth world title. It's odd, but the more time that passes from his last win, I actually feel it's more likely he can one day win a seventh. Time rolls by, and the younger players get worse, while he remains consistently the best player in the world.

The 2017 World Championship semi-final was gutting for me as a Ding fan, but it was one of the greatest matches ever played. The third session was ridiculously brilliant.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Probably right.

I have no doubt Sullivan will win a sixth world title. It's odd, but the more time that passes from his last win, I actually feel it's more likely he can one day win a seventh. Time rolls by, and the younger players get worse, while he remains consistently the best player in the world.

The 2017 World Championship semi-final was gutting for me as a Ding fan, but it was one of the greatest matches ever played. The third session was ridiculously brilliant.

Yeah that session lives on with me. The standard just got better and better.Ridiculous level.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:Anyway, who knows what the future holds. In 2017, I was certain Mark Williams would finish his career as a two-time World Champion.

Yea.

Who would have realistically thought Bingham would win it.

there were people on here saying Selby would never win the WC he was too intense and gave too much to every shot he would be too knackered and then he won it 3 times in 4 years.

Ronnie is capable make no mistake about it.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Anyway, who knows what the future holds. In 2017, I was certain Mark Williams would finish his career as a two-time World Champion.

Yea.

Who would have realistically thought Bingham would win it.

there were people on here saying Selby would never win the WC he was too intense and gave too much to every shot he would be too knackered and then he won it 3 times in 4 years.

Ronnie is capable make no mistake about it.

That's what I hate sometimes, especially with Ronnie. Not all of his fans do this, but some who are fans of his act like he's some has-been, or is going to struggle in future tournaments.

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't make predictions of what will happen in certain tournaments. But that's all they are predictions. As has been said, I didn't see the Mark Williams Crucible win coming at all pre-tournament, despite his renewed form.

But we have to get some perspective. When he lost a few ranking finals in a season, people acted like his career was at an end. Even when he won The Masters that season, people were whinging on about his ranking final losses, or the fact that Michael Holt knocked him out a couple of times. Now he's back to winning tournaments, and it's all; "Yay! Ronnie is back proving the doubters wrong." <doh>

Of course he's capable of winning more Crucible titles, there's no discussion there.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Of course he's capable of winning more Crucible titles, there's no discussion there.

Indeed. Anyone who doubts this needs to have his head examined.

Postby Iranu

Ronnie's appetite has nothing to do with whether he'll win another World Title in my opinion. It's not like he hasn't showed the appetite for it in the last 4 years.

It's whether his game comes together at the right time, and for long enough.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu makes a good point there. He clearly really wanted to beat Carter last year but just did not have the game in that match. Before the match I would not have given Carter much of a chance at all.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Iranu makes a good point there. He clearly really wanted to beat Carter last year but just did not have the game in that match. Before the match I would not have given Carter much of a chance at all.

And that match wont have any bearing on future meetings between the two.

A bit like Hawkins. Yeah he had a great 13-12 win over Ronnie, but their h2h massively favours ROS, and against Carter even worst.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Iranu makes a good point there. He clearly really wanted to beat Carter last year but just did not have the game in that match. Before the match I would not have given Carter much of a chance at all.

A bit like Hawkins. Yeah he had a great 13-12 win over Ronnie, but their h2h massively favours ROS, and against Carter even worst.

Further proof that Hawkins is the GOAT.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I agree.

You should never put the carter before the hawk,

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I agree.

You should never put the carter before the hawk,

rofl

:goodpost: