Post a reply

Twenty something World Final

Postby Alex0paul

Rewatching the 2005 WC final earlier got me thinking whether we’d ever see another all 20 something final.

Very unlucky given the state of snooker these days

Re: Twenty something World Final

Postby Ash147

I don’t think we’ll see one for quite a long time. The lack of young talent coming through, combined with the older players winning almost everything isn’t a good sign.

The only way I can see it happening soon is if Judd and Kyren Wilson get to the final this year. After that Judd will be in his 30’s, and other than Wilson who else in their twenties would you consider being capable of competing for the the Worlds?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Davis-White in 1984 was a 26 year old versus a 22 year old which is surprising considering how old some of the players around at the time were. Of course in 1995 there was a Masters final between two teenagers.

Postby Wildey

At the Masters this year there will be 4 players in their 20s first time for about 6 years theres been that many.

you mentined 1995 there was 9 players under 30 in that event 3 of them were teenagers.

Postby carayip

I just checked the data. Between 1996-2005, seven of those ten World Finals were contested by both players in their 20s. The only exceptions were Hendry in 99, Hendry and Ebdon in 02 and Doherty in 03 and even then they were all in early 30s.

Postby Godot

Ash147 wrote:I don’t think we’ll see one for quite a long time. The lack of young talent coming through, combined with the older players winning almost everything isn’t a good sign.

The only way I can see it happening soon is if Judd and Kyren Wilson get to the final this year. After that Judd will be in his 30’s, and other than Wilson who else in their twenties would you consider being capable of competing for the the Worlds?

I think there are plenty of good young players coming through, but there's a bit of a 'generation' gap. There's only Trump, Lisowski and Wilson who are quality players in their mid-late 20's and then a big lull until the 18-21 bracket where there's about 6-8 Chinese boys who will be serious players.

Postby Andy Sparky

The time was when the idea of two late 30's gracing the final would have caused the Begonias to swoon. Now the posh tones of those that dismissed the aged days are ruing such confident vibes.

Postby Dan-cat

Andy Sparky wrote:The time was when the idea of two late 30's gracing the final would have caused the Begonias to swoon. Now the posh tones of those that dismissed the aged days are ruing such confident vibes.

Andy did you create a new login?