Post a reply

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Andre147

Despite it's shortened format, the UK Champs still remains the 2nd biggest ranking event.

Postby Iranu

Marcus Tandy wrote:1. The increasing number of centuries made is down to easier playing conditions and unless it changes the game will be killed as a spectator sport, like billiards.

2. Alex Higgins didn’t lose the 1980 world final through crowd-pleasing shots. Cliff Thorburn played better than him.

3. The term ‘Triple Crown’ is a meaningless load of bull cooked up by the BBC since its decision to drop the Grand Prix coverage.

4. Dennis Taylor is a good commentator but people won’t realise this until he’s retired.

5. Preston Guild Hall is a terrible venue that belongs in the 70s.

Number 4 is outrageous. Fair play. :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

Related:

Despite his flaws, John Virgo is one of the best regular commentators the BBC has and I miss his commentary at the UK.

Postby SnookerFan

Marcus Tandy wrote:5. Preston Guild Hall is a terrible venue that belongs in the 70s.

bucking hell, behave.

Postby SnookerFan

Willie Thorne was a terrible commentator, and the BBC's product hasn't suffered in the slightest from his disappearance.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie O'Sullivan hasn't declined. His losing four finals in a season wasn't a big deal, and didn't even seem like one at the time to anybody with half a brain.

Postby Iranu

SF, those two takes are lukewarm at best.

We want hot takes! Burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth takes!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

1. Murphy ain't the bottom that I once thought. He can't help how he looks and it is not a bad thing that somebody wants to be involved with the leadership of the game. (Can't defend his commentary skills though)

2. Bingham will win a 2nd World title

Postby Andy Spark

Good topic!

1) Tighter pockets would make the game more interesting.

(This is (shamefully) a “hot take” as far as the BBC, World Snooker and the WPBSA are concerned! )

2) The best way to organise the Pro pocket templates going forward would be to base them around the average break size per scoring visit on the tour; so they always keep consistently in line with break building standards in the game. Hence, if overall break building standards get better then the pockets are tightened to the extent where average break size on tour returns to a normal/standard. Also, World Snooker always release the template details so people can see the changes over time and more accurately compare the strength of break building in different eras.

Postby TheSaviour

Bit neither of those "hot takes" are someones who would be giving any information to the scores... In other words leaking any informations. If and now when you know what I mean.... :wave: Just a national charastetic from the scores of arguing having all the up-dates and news, bigging yourself up....

Pointless to ask me why those few people are like that. But lucky me of having a fair share of streaming. Feeling a bit priviledged tbh.

Pointless to try any further drivel it wouldn´t be just me.

Not expecting would be the last case of trying so, nevertheless... Ha ha haa. Couldn´t stop laughing

Lucke me that my much beloved Cousa isn´t involved. So all the street spammings and "save the internet" -banners should be all fine to me also. Cousa is all sleeping at the mo.

But my point was that many people have at least now finally admittted a many, many innovations would be on the menu any way, either way. And once again, myself also included. No matter how unnormal this current situation ever would be now then. But those innovations and the further BIG news would be on the menu no matter what era. Watching a snooker innovations videos from the likes of Kyren Wilson or Shaun Murphy, and you got my point. I can´t be that much dissappointed when they just keeps on coming at me. Lucky me just, that Cousa isn´t involved of doing any that. Sleeping, sleeping... It´s a day time and when most of the "magic" or the damage happens Ha ha ha haaa. Cousa isn´t involved with these up-dates... Lucke me, really. Tho bloke´s just way too arrogant to get in to to receive an invitation. So all hail Kyren Wilson and perhaps even Shaun Murphy !!

Postby Lou147

Iranu wrote:Related:

Despite his flaws, John Virgo is one of the best regular commentators the BBC has and I miss his commentary at the UK.

Agreed

Postby Johnny Bravo

Marcus Tandy wrote: The increasing number of centuries made is down to easier playing conditions

That is true.

Marcus Tandy wrote:...and unless it changes the game will be killed as a spectator sport, like billiards
You have no idea what u are talking about. <doh>
Just like in any other sport, the audience wants to be entertained. They want to see flashy pots and high breaks, so the snooker authorities took measures in that direction.
Apart from some purists, most people are bored to death with slow meticulous play, safety and tactical games.
In the past decades, in almost all sports, the rules have been altered to favor the offense at the expense of defense, cause audiences love that. More people tuning in means more money for the sport. For example, football and basketball, who are probably the 2 biggest sports out there, have enforced rules that help the offense and limit the defense.

Marcus Tandy wrote: Alex Higgins didn’t lose the 1980 world final through crowd-pleasing shots. Cliff Thorburn played better than him.
bullocks. :hmmm: Alex Higgins was a much better player and a million times more exciting to watch. Thorburn was a slow boring grinder and nobody gives a rat's bottom about him anymore. Alex has delighted millions of fans with his shots and will be remembered forever.

Marcus Tandy wrote: Dennis Taylor is a good commentator but people won’t realise this until he’s retired.
Taylor bucking sucks, the BBC should have hot rid of him a long time ago. :td: Clive Everton is the best. Hendry, Hendon, Dale and pretty much everybody else is better than Taylor.

Postby Marcus Tandy

Marcus Tandy wrote:...and unless it changes the game will be killed as a spectator sport, like billiards
You have no idea what u are talking about. <doh>
Just like in any other sport, the audience wants to be entertained. They want to see flashy pots and high breaks, so the snooker authorities took measures in that direction.
Apart from some purists, most people are bored to death with slow meticulous play, safety and tactical games.
In the past decades, in almost all sports, the rules have been altered to favor the offense at the expense of defense, cause audiences love that. More people tuning in means more money for the sport. For example, football and basketball, who are probably the 2 biggest sports out there, have enforced rules that help the offense and limit the defense.

I’m glad my hot takes have generated debate!

I haven’t suggested that big breaks are a bad thing, but there’s more excitement in unexpected misses rather than 3 centuries in a best of 9 (as regularly happens now).

Marcus Tandy wrote: Alex Higgins didn’t lose the 1980 world final through crowd-pleasing shots. Cliff Thorburn played better than him.

bullocks. :hmmm: Alex Higgins was a much better player and a million times more exciting to watch. Thorburn was a slow boring grinder and nobody gives a rat's bottom about him anymore. Alex has delighted millions of fans with his shots and will be remembered forever.

I don't dispute that Alex was a better and more exciting player than Cliff but in that final Cliff outplayed him.

Postby SnookerFan

Two players having needle with each other is very boring, and actually detracts from a match.

I couldn't give a stuff if the players like each other or not, and to have the pundits and commentators continually harping on about it makes me want to turn off.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Two players having needle with each other is very boring, and actually detracts from a match.

I couldn't give a stuff if the players like each other or not, and to have the pundits and commentators continually harping on about it makes me want to turn off.

It's possible that you are the only person in the world who thinks like this.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Two players having needle with each other is very boring, and actually detracts from a match.

It's possible that you are the only person in the world who thinks like this.

That's why it's a hot take.

I just don't find needle between people entertaining in any way. I never liked Soap Operas because they were just full of arguments which I find very dull. When my parents used to watch Eastenders as a kid, I used to go upstairs to do other things. I found it too boring to be in the same room as. Same with reality TV, can't stand it. (Except for The Apprentice. And even that, I can't tell you why I like. Because I find the arguments parts of that to be very boring.)

When I'm watching a snooker match, whether the players like each other doesn't really matter to me that much.

Postby TheRocket

Needle can be good. I mean you have two players who hate losing to each other. And both try very hard or lets harder to win that particular match than they would do against any other (normal) opponent.

That makes it a quite exciting match imo.

Postby Iranu

I think I agree with SF.

The truly great snooker rivalries don't need needle.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Good healthy rivalry with a little added spice. A subplot or two off the table to whet the appetite and get the juices flowing. Something a little out of the norm. A couple of verbal hand grenades thrown from a player is no harm providing it doesn't overstep the mark like Alex Higgins threatening to 'whack' Dennis Taylor (although i wonder sometimes would a few posters on here have enjoyed that) and see him swimming with the fishes. Lifes not all Mary Poppins with milk and honey and everyone liking each other in a utopian paradise. Humans are not wired that way. A little NEEDLE goes a long way in sport. Fills column inches and forum pages. Gets tongues wagging and blood flowing.

#lovetheneedle

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:I think I agree with SF.

The truly great snooker rivalries don't need needle.

Your right. Great rivalries don't need it but any rivalry in any sport whether at the top of that sport or at the bottom where there is a little bad blood or needle adds a bit of spice imo.

Postby SnookerFan

The exception for me is Shaun Murphy vs Stephen Maguire. Because Shaun Murphy's ridiculous; "Waaah! He didn't bring his chalk, where's the tournament director?" rant happened during a match. If something dramatic happens during a match, I'll remember it in future meetings the two of them have.

I don't like all this nonsense, like when you get Mark Allen crabbing because Mark Joyce has a mother. I don't really wish to hear one players opinion on another player. Your opinion is irrelevant, get out and play. I don't like everybody I work with either, get on with it.

It's particularly boring when people pundits try to manufacture needle. Or says; "These two aren't the best of friends." Neal Foulds seems to do this a lot.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Neal Foulds does this a lot because he's a great broadcaster and he knows how to create interest.

Even if it isn't true?

Postby Pink Ball

TheSaviour wrote:Bit neither of those "hot takes" are someones who would be giving any information to the scores... In other words leaking any informations. If and now when you know what I mean.... :wave: Just a national charastetic from the scores of arguing having all the up-dates and news, bigging yourself up....

Pointless to ask me why those few people are like that. But lucky me of having a fair share of streaming. Feeling a bit priviledged tbh.

Pointless to try any further drivel it wouldn´t be just me.

Not expecting would be the last case of trying so, nevertheless... Ha ha haa. Couldn´t stop laughing

Lucke me that my much beloved Cousa isn´t involved. So all the street spammings and "save the internet" -banners should be all fine to me also. Cousa is all sleeping at the mo.

But my point was that many people have at least now finally admittted a many, many innovations would be on the menu any way, either way. And once again, myself also included. No matter how unnormal this current situation ever would be now then. But those innovations and the further BIG news would be on the menu no matter what era. Watching a snooker innovations videos from the likes of Kyren Wilson or Shaun Murphy, and you got my point. I can´t be that much dissappointed when they just keeps on coming at me. Lucky me just, that Cousa isn´t involved of doing any that. Sleeping, sleeping... It´s a day time and when most of the "magic" or the damage happens Ha ha ha haaa. Cousa isn´t involved with these up-dates... Lucke me, really. Tho bloke´s just way too arrogant to get in to to receive an invitation. So all hail Kyren Wilson and perhaps even Shaun Murphy !!

Yeah, well, buck you too.

Postby Andy Spark

Needle between players is mostly only interesting to me in the sense that it avoids the irritation of them being too nice and relaxed with each other at key moments.

Two friends laughing and joking with each other is fun in the early stages, but can hurt the steady build up of tension in the later stages. I don’t want to see a deciding frame played with smiles all round.

Postby HustleKing

I don't really know other opinions on this so don't know how controversial it is, but I would like to see the Masters being a roaming tournament, so it would take place outside the UK about once every 3 years or so.

All 3 Majors taking place within the UK every year seems a bit dismissive of developing snooker outside these islands, but I've never seen anyone here criticize it, so I assume no one wants this to happen.

Postby SnookerFan

My hot take.

There aren't as many Ronnie doubters as are suggested, and most of the people who do doubt his ability to win are his own fans.