Post a reply

Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Iranu

A hot take, for those who don't know, is an opinion you have that you know or believe will be largely unpopular and disagreed with. An example might be: "The Beatles were a rubbish band."

To express such an opinion, particularly to an audience who are especially passionate about the subject matter, is to have admirable confidence in your beliefs. That or you just want to have an argument.

I thought it mght be cool if we had a space where we could share and discuss our "hot takes" about snooker, be it players, events, moments etc.

I'll start with a biggie: Alex Higgins' famous 69 break in the 1982 world semi against Jimmy is overrated and pales in comparison to many breaks that have been made in recent years. As much as anything else it's a perfect demonstration of how loose 80s pockets were. The first red alone wouldn't have dropped even in modern "loose" pockets.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Andre147

I think that 69 break is more memorable not because of the break itself, because the only great shot in it was that blue with screw...

It's mainly because it was made in the upmost pressure, if he missed he could have well lost the match there, thats why it became so memorable.

But apart from the pressure situation.... it's nothing special really. I've seen many other great breaks when it was many other difficukt shots..

Selby made a 143 at The Crucible in 2017 which was really something special...

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Andre147

80s pockets were even worst than today I agree.

However, big difference is players couldn't upen up the pack like today because cloths were very slow.

So it's 50/50.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Andre147

In comparison, I rate Higgins 60 odd clearance at the 2006 Masters Final much higher than this.

Nice thread by the way!

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Alex0paul

1985 final is one of the greatest most dramatic sporting moments ever and deserves as much attention as it gets

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:I think that 69 break is more memorable not because of the break itself, because the only great shot in it was that blue with screw...

It's mainly because it was made in the upmost pressure, if he missed he could have well lost the match there, thats why it became so memorable.

But apart from the pressure situation.... it's nothing special really. I've seen many other great breaks when it was many other difficukt shots..

Selby made a 143 at The Crucible in 2017 which was really something special...

How can you say, ‘apart from the pressure’? The pressure is exactly the thing that made that break so special. It can’t be discounted.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Dan-cat

Ronnie, as much as I love his play, is over-rated. The way Parrot/Hendry et al drool over him, when he is probably only 10 or 20 points better than the rest is too much. Controversial?

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie, as much as I love his play, is over-rated. The way Parrot/Hendry et al drool over him, when he is probably only 10 or 20 points better than the rest is too much. Controversial?


He's not overrated.

But the commentators are embarrassing.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie is underated. Mainly from his own fans.

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Ronnie already playing garbage.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:That tickle in the middle, the long range red... there are loads of great shots. And without it he wouldn’t have won the ‘82 crown. Numpty post. :-D

Haha to be clear it's not that I don't think it's a good break. It's just not as good as it's made out to be. There are plenty of better breaks under just as much pressure.

As you allude to, it's remembered more because of the story that followed in the final than for the break itself, in my opinion.

It's more a series of great pots than it is a great break.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie, as much as I love his play, is over-rated. The way Parrot/Hendry et al drool over him, when he is probably only 10 or 20 points better than the rest is too much. Controversial?


He's not overrated.

But the commentators are embarrassing.


That's what I meant to say.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

If someone could do a proper argument for Steve Davis as the greatest Snooker player ever.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Ash147

Andre147 wrote:In comparison, I rate Higgins 60 odd clearance at the 2006 Masters Final much higher than this.

Nice thread by the way!


I rate that as the best pressure clearance ever, and Higgins has produced a lot of those.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Iranu

Come on guys, don't be shy.

Do you think Shaun Murphy's a nice, honest fella who doesn't deserve the flak he gets?

Do you think Dennis Taylor's the best commentator the world's ever seen?

Do you think Mark Joyce's mom actually does like him?

You can tell us. No matter how controversial or unpopular the opinion, now's your chance to share.

This is a safe space.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:Come on guys, don't be shy.

Do you think Shaun Murphy's a nice, honest fella who doesn't deserve the flak he gets?

Do you think Dennis Taylor's the best commentator the world's ever seen?

Do you think Mark Joyce's mom actually does like him?

You can tell us. No matter how controversial or unpopular the opinion, now's your chance to share.

This is a safe space.


No to all of the above.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:The pink is the highest value ball in snooker. Haters will say it's the black.

Pink is the highest value ball on this forum, that's for sure.

The point of the thread is to share opinions about snooker that you expect most people to disagree with but that you hold firmly.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Andre147

Shot clock to be intoduced in all ranking events.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:There's nothing wrong with trying to outlaw fluke pots in the game of snooker. In fact, it would benefit the game.


Lolz. The cruel game. Part of the drama.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Come on guys, don't be shy.

Do you think Shaun Murphy's a nice, honest fella who doesn't deserve the flak he gets?

Do you think Dennis Taylor's the best commentator the world's ever seen?

Do you think Mark Joyce's mom actually does like him?

You can tell us. No matter how controversial or unpopular the opinion, now's your chance to share.

This is a safe space.


I believe the Mark Joyce one.

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby kolompar

Mark Selby is not a slow player. AST proved he's only slower than most other players on tour, slowest in the top 16 and slower than 70% of the top 64. That's not slow, right?

Re: Snooker Hot Takes

Postby Marcus Tandy

1. The increasing number of centuries made is down to easier playing conditions and unless it changes the game will be killed as a spectator sport, like billiards.

2. Alex Higgins didn’t lose the 1980 world final through crowd-pleasing shots. Cliff Thorburn played better than him.

3. The term ‘Triple Crown’ is a meaningless load of bull cooked up by the BBC since its decision to drop the Grand Prix coverage.

4. Dennis Taylor is a good commentator but people won’t realise this until he’s retired.

5. Preston Guild Hall is a terrible venue that belongs in the 70s.