Post a reply

The official all-time top 32.

Postby Pink Ball

We now know for definite the top 20 players of all time, not counting the rubbish fest that was the pre-open era. They are as follows (correct and accurate as of 14/11/2018.

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Mark Selby
8. Alex Higgins
9. Neil Robertson
10. Ding Junhui
11. Peter Ebdon
12. Jimmy White
13. John Parrott
14. John Spencer
15. Ken Doherty
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Judd Trump
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Paul Hunter

Now I want to complete my project with an all-time top 32.

Here is a provisional list:

21. Stephen Lee
22. Stephen Maguire
23. Graeme Dott
24. Stuart Bingham
25. Mark Allen
26. Matthew Stevens
27. Eddie Charlton
28. Dennis Taylor
29. Ali Carter
30. Barry Hawkins
31. James Wattana
32. Alan McManus

Doug Mountjoy and Marco Fu are not out of the running yet, but they need a strong case to convince me.

Graeme Dott is very high for a man who won two ranking titles, but he's getting a boost for some terrific performances particularly at the World Championship, having played in snooker's toughest era. Similar story with Matthew Stevens, who has two majors and a lot of fine performances at a teak-tough time to be pro.

Re: The official all-time top 32.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Stop wasting your time

Perhaps obscure stats and patterns would be more fulfilling.

Phil Yates? Is that you?

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Stop wasting your time

Perhaps obscure stats and patterns would be more fulfilling.

Perhaps, I wouldn’t know

Postby Truth

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Dennis Taylor beneath Eddie Charlton is interesting.

I'ts just plain wrong.

Offhand, McManus should place higher than Wattana. Wattana is ahead 3-2 in ranking events, but Mcmanus has won The Masters. Mcmanus was an elite player for much longer than Wattana too. There can't be much separating Selby and Williams, so it's interesting that Reardon sits in the middle. Difficult to accurately compare the 70s era against the modern era.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ray Reardon deserves the number five spot more than Williams. Reardon dominated the game for a long time. He was the man to beat in his day. He really developed and perfected the art of break building and creating match winning breaks. Steve Davis learned a lot from watching Reardon, I remember Davis saying this in an interview. Reardon also helped the GOAT improve his safety game and all round game many years later.