Post a reply

Re: Mark Davis thread

Postby Johnny Bravo

I had a thought the other day. What will Mark Davis and other player like him do in order to get a living after they finish their snooker career ? :huh:

He's not a bad player, but at the same time he never reached incredible heights in snooker. That goes for a few other players, Mark King being a good example. What will they do in order to get by ? I don't think they have that much money stacked away, that's if they have any at all. :weeds:

Do snooker players have a pension ? Or will they have to get a regular job in order to make ends meat ? :?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:I had a thought the other day. What will Mark Davis and other player like him do in order to get a living after they finish their snooker career ? :huh:

He's not a bad player, but at the same time he never reached incredible heights in snooker. That goes for a few other players, Mark King being a good example. What will they do in order to get by ? I don't think they have that much money stacked away, that's if they have any at all. :weeds:

Do snooker players have a pension ? Or will they have to get a regular job in order to make ends meat ? :?

It is a good question Johnny.

I was thinking today how the money system is very good for the top 10 but the others down to 40 do OK but not brilliantly. From 40 - 64 it must be a month-month worry whether the money is coming in. Mark is a case in point - he nearly quit 15 years ago to take up accountancy.

In the past many could find work in the local snooker hall but that does not really apply any more.

I think that to the likes of McCloud, King etc keeping their tour card is essential as their mortgages depend on it. As a result, I think they feel the pressure a bit more than Trump, ROS< Williams etc.

It's a tough gig if you are not in the top 20.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It is a good question Johnny.

I was thinking today how the money system is very good for the top 10 but the others down to 40 do OK but not brilliantly. From 40 - 64 it must be a month-month worry whether the money is coming in. Mark is a case in point - he nearly quit 15 years ago to take up accountancy.

In the past many could find work in the local snooker hall but that does not really apply any more.

I think that to the likes of McCloud, King etc keeping their tour card is essential as their mortgages depend on it. As a result, I think they feel the pressure a bit more than Trump, ROS< Williams etc.

It's a tough gig if you are not in the top 20.

The likes of ROS, Higgo, Willo, Hendry, Davis are set for life. Even guys like Jimmy, who threw a lot of money on stupid things in his younger days, probably has made enough from exhibitions in recent years.

Like you said, the players outside of the top 32 are probably struggling.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:I had a thought the other day. What will Mark Davis and other player like him do in order to get a living after they finish their snooker career ? :huh:

Mark King, on winning NI, said he had come close to packing snooker in due to being broke.

A former top-16er this was.

Postby kolompar

I wouldn't worry for him, he won more than £1 million in his career.

Postby Johnny Bravo

kolompar wrote:I wouldn't worry for him, he won more than £1 million in his career.

:hmmm: :shock: :dizzy:

Are u talking about Mark Davis or about Mark King ?! :chin: :huh:

I don't think either has earned that much. And even if they have, it's been through the course of 20 years, it's probably all spent by now.

Postby kolompar

King won £1.5 million.
Mavis won £1.2 milli and most of it in the last 5-6 years. And they are two mediocre players.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

kolompar wrote:King won £1.5 million.
Mavis won £1.2 milli and most of it in the last 5-6 years. And they are two mediocre players.

Across a 27 year career (Davis) that is about £45 000 per year before tax.

Of course, that would have been great in 1991.

If he falls off tour, he has 20 more years to fund which reduces his annual wage to about £25000.

Not poverty but he would probably need to work.

Postby Iranu

kolompar wrote:King won £1.5 million.

Over the 27 years they've been professional, that's an average of £45-55K a year.

Hardly enough to retire on.