Post a reply

Peter Ebdon might retire

Postby SnookerFan

EBDON – THIS COULD BE MY LAST SEASON

Former World Champion Peter Ebdon admits he may decide to retire at the end of the current season – but is determined to finish his snooker career on a high.

Ebdon has shown an impressive return to form in recent months, reaching his first ranking event final in six years at the Paul Hunter Classic in Germany. He looked set for his tenth career ranking title when he led Kyren Wilson 2-0, but eventually lost 4-2.

Once he puts his cue away for good, the 48-year-old Englishman will pursue a pedigree consultancy business, and he has also recently qualified as a Reiki healer.

“Between those two occupations I have given up around 600 hours of practice time over the last few years, but I have been able to lay the foundations for two successful businesses once I finish my snooker career,” said world number 51 Ebdon.

“Since the start of this season I have been able to dedicate more time to practice and I have had some very good performances and results.

“I’m not sure how much time I have left as a player, partly because I have a degenerative spinal condition which means there are times when I can’t stand up or walk. I’m doing a lot of swimming and looking after myself to reduce the effects.

“At the end of this season I will have a look at everything. I will have been on the pro tour for 28 years by that point so it might be time to draw stumps. If I win a ranking title this season that would be a good time to finish because it would bring me to ten ranking titles, level with Jimmy White.

“Until then, I still have the will and desire to succeed and I want to have a good season. I feel I can get back into the top 32, and on the one-year list I’m 18th so one of my goals is to qualify for the World Grand Prix and Players Championship. I might not be the player I once was, but the likes of myself, Nigel Bond and Ken Doherty can beat some of the young players just using our experience.”

Looking back on the final in Germany, Ebdon recalls: “I was disappointed to lose, especially as Kyren didn’t have to play that well to beat me. It was a long day, playing four matches, and I was tiring towards the end, losing my focus. I’d had my contact lenses in for 14 hours straight which made me misjudge a few shots. But overall it was a big step in the right direction. And I was delighted for Kyren, I have said for a long time that he is destined for great things and now he is showing it.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/ebdon-this- ... st-season/

Re: Peter Ebdon might retire

Postby SteveJJ

Dan-cat wrote:I'll admit it I fancied him quite a bit. In a hetero-admiration sorta way.

The Lisowski of his day?

Postby Alex0paul

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6i9VbfVXs

Some of the comments on this rofl ...

'He's a clown, but he don't pot the brown.'

"I thought he was shouting Peter Power"

Postby vodkadiet

Ebdon ruined his career when he started taking ages over every shot. It is probably only money that is keeping him interested.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ebdon ruined his career when he started taking ages over every shot. It is probably only money that is keeping him interested.

I would have quite liked living his ruined career

He has still had a decent career but it would have been better had he not started to overthink every shot. It had a negative affect on his game.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:He had a much better than decent career. He had one of the top ten careers of all time as a snooker poster.

What forum does Peter Ebdon post on?

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:He had a much better than decent career. He had one of the top ten careers of all time as a snooker poster.

What forum does Peter Ebdon post on?

Reiki Island

Postby TheSaviour

Lucky me then as he had some great natural talent. And not just any autistic - type of natural talent or a person (like some are having), to be more precise, running the riot when and as no-one couldn´t care less how he plays or what his ideas ever might be. But I am talking about the real thing. Lucky me then.

So this is like R.I.P - thread already but that´s how it certainly seems now. If he can´t see himself competing against the likes Judd Trump anymore then he just can´t see it like that anymore. This is all a bit of guessing but no-one can force anyone to speak out of their minds and to be outspoken. What would I be then if having such a demands ? That wouldn´t be a modern world anymore and I wouldn´t be a human. Even when it would be my advantage for sure. I am bit like Mark Z now. Just not getting paid for it.

Told you mate they wouldn´t believe it. All sorts of an uncles telling some nice stories with no ends.

Realistic picture, please. About Peter. Only way to get any forward.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:Ebdon ruined his career when he started taking ages over every shot. It is probably only money that is keeping him interested.

This is something we can both agree on. <ok>

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:Looking back on the final in Germany, Ebdon recalls: “I was disappointed to lose, especially as Kyren didn’t have to play that well to beat me. It was a long day, playing four matches, and I was tiring towards the end, losing my focus.

He always is.

Postby TheRocket

One of the most disliked players probably and tbh, he's painful to watch but there are not many toppros out there who have had a better career than him. So he must have done something right.

And he was involved in one of the most epic matches ever. To play a decider in the World final must be special and scary at the same time. But he won.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:One of the most disliked players probably and tbh, he's painful to watch but there are not many toppros out there who have had a better career than him. So he must have done something right.

And he was involved in one of the most epic matches ever. To play a decider in the World final must be special and scary at the same time. But he won.

He got lucky. He should have won 18-16 but he 'choked'. He relied on surprising misses from Hendry.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:One of the most disliked players probably and tbh, he's painful to watch but there are not many toppros out there who have had a better career than him. So he must have done something right.

He got lucky. He should have won 18-16 but he 'choked'. He relied on surprising misses from Hendry.

Well, the same could be said about Hendry when he won in 94, Jimmy also "choked" :chuckle:

Postby Alex0paul

I heard a rumor that Ronnie O’Sullivan might retire