Post a reply

Will Ronnie reach the epic 1000 tons landmark this season ?

1. Yes
81%
2. No
19%

Total votes : 16

Tons

Postby Johnny Bravo

ROS had an epic last season and he made over 70 tons. Will he be able to duplicate that form again and reach the magical 1000 ton this season ? Please share your thoughts.

Re: Tons

Postby TheRocket

Last year he made 74 tons. I don't think he'll get to that number again.

But I think it'll be close to 60 which will be enough to reach the 1000 this season. To do it at the World Championship would be great. Similar to Robbos 100 centuries.

Postby SnookerFan

My prediction is no.

He won't enter enough tournaments.

Postby vodkadiet

The question is will O'Sullivan have as many centuries at the end of his career as Ivo Karlovic served aces in his career?

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:The question is will O'Sullivan have as many centuries at the end of his career as Ivo Karlovic served aces in his career?

How many aces did Ivo Karlovic serve?

Secondly, who is Ivo Karlovic?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The question is will O'Sullivan have as many centuries at the end of his career as Ivo Karlovic served aces in his career?

Thirdly, why are we comparing snooker to an inferior sport for bankers?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Thirdly, why are we comparing snooker to an inferior sport for bankers?

:goodpost:

Postby kolompar

I think the dreaded decline will finally kick in and he will never get to 1000.

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:

This guy? viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8046#p561142

Postby SnookerFan

I assumed you meant he was a tennis player.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:My prediction is no.

Mine too. I think he'll have a very reduced schedulle this season.

And to annoy people he'll probably do it in some qualifiers.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:

I meant he won't get 100 in a season, because he won't enter enough.

I do think he'll get to 1000.

Didn't really make that clear.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I meant he won't get 100 in a season, because he won't enter enough.

I do think he'll get to 1000.

Didn't really make that clear.

I don't understand what you mean

Postby SnookerFan

I got a bit confused reading The Rocket's earlier comment. (My fault not his.)

I thought he was asking if Ronnie would make 100 in a season like Robbo, and I predicted no. He won't enter enough.

I voted yes in the poll.

He'll certainly get 1000 this season. It's inevitable.

Postby vodkadiet

Ivo Karlovic has hit 12,862 aces thus far in his career. There's your genius....

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Ivo Karlovic has hit 12,862 aces thus far in his career. There's your genius....

:zzz:

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet wrote:Ivo Karlovic has hit 12,862 aces thus far in his career. There's your genius....

More comparable to long pots.

I'd be interested to know how many long pots snooker players have potted in their careers :chin:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:

I'd be interested to know how many long pots snooker players have potted in their careers :chin:

When someone was comparing long pot percentage for top players on a certain tourney thread (can't remember which), I said that it's not that relevant, since it depends on how many long pots a player takes on.
An aggressive player that goes for many shots (like Trump, Murphy) might have a smaller long pot stat than a defensive/percentage player like Hawkins. That doesn't mean that Hawkins is the better long potter.
You also have to factor in the type of long pots a player takes on. It's one thing when u just have to make the ball an u have a natural line back to baulk, meaning a 2 way shot, with safety in mind if u miss, it's a totally different story when u have to hit the ball hard or u have to use side in order to avoid traffic.

Same thing applies here. Also, the players who probably have the highest number of long pots ought to have had a long career. Again that doesn't make them better long potter. A young player like Yan Bingtao might be a better long potter than someone like Doherty, but I doubt he has potted more long balls, since he's only been playing for a few years.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say Ronnie has the highest number of long pots, and I have a few arguments to back up the claim:
1. he's now entered his 27th season as a pro.
2. he's an attacking player, so he has taken on many pots.
3. he's very good, so he has made a lot of the balls he's taken on. :bowdown:
4. he's had amazing longevity, so he's been playing for a very long time at the top of the game.
5. he's been reaching the latter stages of the tourneys very often, so he's had the chance to go for more shots.

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:

Very good point Iranu.

Regarding centuries, I never understand the obsession. Is it a competition to find 'who can find a player who can pot the most balls when a frame is already over?'

Postby Iranu

Johnny, Ronnie spent about 4-5 years unable to buy a long pot. That would negatively impact those stats.

Williams' long potting never got as bad as Ronnie's for that period but he's had two long spells of poor form that would impact that to a degree.

Higgins has never been the best long potter.

So despite their longevity, they're probably mot as far ahead of the rest as you'd think.

Robertson's probably next on the list.

Vodka I agree about centuries. I also wish that as soon as a player has made the century, they went for more exhibition shots unless the high break's on. Once you've passed 100 does it really matter whether you make 101 or 126?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Johnny, Ronnie spent about 4-5 years unable to buy a long pot. That would negatively impact those stats.

Williams' long potting never got as bad as Ronnie's for that period but he's had two long spells of poor form that would impact that to a degree.

Higgins has never been the best long potter.

So despite their longevity, they're probably mot as far ahead of the rest as you'd think.

Robertson's probably next on the list.

Vodka I agree about centuries. I also wish that as soon as a player has made the century, they went for more exhibition shots unless the high break's on. Once you've passed 100 does it really matter whether you make 101 or 126?

Good point Iranu.

Ronnie had a few years when his long potting was downright awful, I'm amazed that despite that fact he still managed to win some trophies.

However, his bad patch is still considerably lower than other top pros who had a long career. Hendry was very poor for the last decade of his career.
Ronnie reached the latter stage of tourneys far more often than other top pros, like Willo for example. I'm not taking Higgins into account because, as u rightly pointed out, he's never been great at long pots.

By taking into account these factors plus the ones I already stated, I tend to believe that ROS has made more long pots than any other pro.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Like I said last night, ROS has 32 more tons to go until the 1000th ton.
It's looking ever more likely that he'll do it this season.

Postby Cloud Strife

I think he'll get to 1000 at this week's Northern Ireland Open.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I think he'll get to 1000 at this week's Northern Ireland Open.

How many has he left?

That might be pushing it. But it'll happen this season, at some point.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I think he'll get to 1000 at this week's Northern Ireland Open.

How many has he left?

That might be pushing it. But it'll happen this season, at some point.

He's currently on 968.

Postby SnookerFan

32 in Northern Ireland may be pushing it. Especially as they're best of sevens, and Ronnie can take or leave the Home Nations anyway.

I reckon making it by the end of the calendar year is possible. Certainly by The Masters.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:32 in Northern Ireland may be pushing it. Especially as they're best of sevens, and Ronnie can take or leave the Home Nations anyway.

I reckon making it by the end of the calendar year is possible. Certainly by The Masters.

He'll make the 1000th ton at the Crucible, in the final frame, when he'll complete a 18 nil drubbing of Selbo, and with the perfect break, a magical 147. :d

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:32 in Northern Ireland may be pushing it. Especially as they're best of sevens, and Ronnie can take or leave the Home Nations anyway.

He'll make the 1000th ton at the Crucible, in the final frame, when he'll complete a 18 nil drubbing of Selbo, and with the perfect break, a magical 147. :d

You think he'll only make 31 centuries between now and May?