Post a reply

Re: What will be Ronnie's first tournament this season?

Postby vodkadiet

More importantly, Andy Murray has withdrawn not only from the rest of Washington D.C. but also from The Masters 1000 event in Canada next week, citing fatigue. This doesn't bode well that is going to make a serious comeback to top flight tennis with any realistic chance of winning major silverware.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I've seen animal rights protestors in my home city. I wouldn't snake hiss on them if they were on fire.

If they were protesting against child molestation, there would be a spike in the number of child molestors.

The injustice of how humans treat animals outweighs how animal rights protestors come across to the rest of society.

Christ, when exactly have I said otherwise?

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I've seen animal rights protestors in my home city. I wouldn't snake hiss on them if they were on fire.

If they were protesting against child molestation, there would be a spike in the number of child molestors.

The injustice of how humans treat animals outweighs how animal rights protestors come across to the rest of society.

However, I don't advocate physical abuse towards other humans. As soon as an animal rights protestor brings physical harm to another human then they are out of the club.

I cannot say that I have seen this however. If you can provide video footage of this then I will be annoyed at 'so called' animal rights protestor. I would disown them from the cause.

I have never seen physical violence by these people either. You don't have to punch someone to be an trumper.

My point is that arrogance, no matter how well-placed, does not serve a cause as effectively as intelligent arguments put forward in an understanding manner. I think that's a very reasonable point.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:You cannot dismiss what people here are saying about *some* animal rights activists. A lot of them don't appeal to me.

I'm not saying their anger isn't justified. I've made it very clear that I think it IS justified. But anger never achieves anything until it's dressed up with throughtful, understanding dialogue.

I'm not asking them to dress in suits. buck that. They can wear whatever they want. But maybe they'd be better served by dressing exactly like the common man to get said common man onside? Who knows.

I'm not saying that everyone would become vegan overnight if they behaved differently. I'm saying they would get more people onside. And isn't that exactly what they're trying to achieve?

And why can't I dislike their behaviour just because it's better than eating animals? A turn-off is a turn-off.

I voted yes to the gay marriage referendum in Ireland. I saw it as a no-brainer. A lot of yes campaigners came across as trumpers, no matter how much I agreed with them. Not all of them: Colm O'Gorman came across as respectful, understanding, intelligent, and never angry, though I've no doubt he was angry.

In the end, the yes side won a very strong majority. But I thought it would be even stronger. I believe a lot of people voted the supposedly 'wrong' way because they were turned off by yes campaigners. Is that right? I didn't think so. Did it happen? I would say yes.

This year, an abortion referendum took place in Ireland, a referendum on an issue that has divided Ireland like no other, far more divisive than gay marriage. The yes side ran a far more professional, respectful campaign, many of them the same campaigners, but less pious. It won a stronger majority than the gay marriage vote. I believe that is down to a change in attitude. It paid off.

bucking shoot me.

I enjoyed this post. Very interesting indeed.

When I first started to meditate in 2011 it changed my life almost over night. I was blown away at its power and it brought me out of a deep depression and super-charged my life. I became a meditation evangelist and rammed it down people’s throats like some kinda preacher. It took me a couple of years to work out a different approach.

‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.’ Margaret Mead

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

However, I don't advocate physical abuse towards other humans. As soon as an animal rights protestor brings physical harm to another human then they are out of the club.

I cannot say that I have seen this however. If you can provide video footage of this then I will be annoyed at 'so called' animal rights protestor. I would disown them from the cause.

I have never seen physical violence by these people either. You don't have to punch someone to be an trumper.

My point is that arrogance, no matter how well-placed, does not serve a cause as effectively as intelligent arguments put forward in an understanding manner. I think that's a very reasonable point.

Most people won't change their ways however the point is made. That is because most of us are selfish and won't alter our lives to help others, however much our life choices make others suffer.

Primary uses child slavery to make their clothes but people still flock there in their droves because they can 'save a few quid'.

The reason some people get annoyed with Vegans is that they know that the Vegans are right and it questions their own morality. Compare that to when you hear someone preaching to you about Jesus Christ, saying you are going to hell unless you mend your ways and 'accept the word of God'. You aren't bothered by these people as you know it is a load of 'fairytales'.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Give me a bald headed tattooed weirdo freak any day of the week over a keep-your-head-down-and-do-as-we-tell-you suited slave.

Don’t be so prejudiced and snobby. Suited and booted people can change the world for the better too, you know.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Give me a bald headed tattooed weirdo freak any day of the week over a keep-your-head-down-and-do-as-we-tell-you suited slave.

Don’t be so prejudiced and snobby. Suited and booted people can change the world for the better too, you know.

Very true.

I have met a lot of people who look punk or rasta or anti-establishment, but when you really talk to them you find out they are empty headed and as much a capitalist and hypocrit as anybody. The difference is they act as if they are better than anyone else. The way they dress is often a mask to hide who they truly are. The people who identify as "antifa", are often very similar to fascists.

Looking like a punk or a hippie, is just as much conformism as someone who dresses in a suit. Maybe even more so.

I also have met people who dress normal and when you really get to know them, you find out they are very smart and really care for people and try to live a good life.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Very true.

I have met a lot of people who look punk or rasta or anti-establishment, but when you really talk to them you find out they are empty headed and as much a capitalist and hypocrit as anybody. The difference is they act as if they are better than anyone else. The way they dress is often a mask to hide who they truly are. The people who identify as "antifa", are often very similar to fascists.

Looking like a punk or a hippie, is just as much conformism as someone who dresses in a suit. Maybe even more so.

I also have met people who dress normal and when you really get to know them, you find out they are very smart and really care for people and try to live a good life.

That's a bucking good post.

Postby Andre147

So Ron has confirmed on Facebook and Instagram that he'll start his snooker season defending this title he won almost a year ago.

Winning it again would be a tall order, but you never know... just hope he plays well and has another good season.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Very true.

That's a bucking good post.

Well that was a busy and many splendored weekend that took in a reggae rave in Walthamstow and then a walking lecture through the National Portrait gallery called the 'Uncomfortable Art Tour' which highlighted the white-washing of the chosen portraits and let us in to some dark character traits (in some cases psychopathic) of some of the celebrated people from history. I also discovered that when slavery ended, the British plantation owners were compensated with huge sums of money, which Britain borrowed from bankers (including the Rothschilds) and that debt was only paid back fully in 2015.

I didn't say that suited and booted people couldn't change the world. A strange leap to make from my post. I was actually thinking about the Jack Kerouac quote when I wrote that. 'the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars'

Holden: What's normal?

Hippies is a strange catch-all term that means different things to different people and yes I've met a ton of idiot hippies. But then I've met a ton of idiotic suited and booted people too. Oh wait hang on - I've met a ton of idiots dressed in all sort of clothing.

I dress for fun. Also I like showering.
Last edited by Dan-cat on 06 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

Well that was a busy and many splendored weekend that took in a reggae rave in Walthamstow and then a walking lecture through the National Portrait gallery called the 'Uncomfortable Art Tour' which highlighted the white-washing of the chosen portraits and let us in to some dark character traits (in some cases psychopathic) of some of the celebrated people from history. I also discovered that when slavery ended, the British plantation owners were compensated with huge sums of money, which Britain borrowed from bankers (including the Rothschilds) and that debt was only paid back fully in 2015.

I didn't say that suited and booted people couldn't change the world. A strange leap to make from my post. I was actually thinking about the Jack Kerouac quote when I wrote that. 'the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars'

Hippies is a strange catch-all term that means different things to different people and yes I've met a ton of idiot hippies. But then I've met a ton of idiotic suited and booted people too. Oh wait hang on - I've met a ton of idiots dressed in all sort of clothing.

Very interesting and thought-provoking post.

Postby Andy Spark

Too many replies for me to read (at least while I have Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Bronte Sisters and George Eliot beside me! ) however, I regard Ronnie's lack of early attendance a much better move than his "Sight Right". He will join the ranks when he feels like it and his absence will serve to enhance the "fear factor".

Christmas in July, why not! :xmas:

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:

Very interesting and thought-provoking post.

Yes, worth a read. I would never have thought that the debt was only fully paid back in 2015!