Post a reply

Re: Snooker And The British Class System

Postby Badsnookerplayer

See what Wildey says is right.

I'm not that clever but I have learnt that to really appreciate something it needs to have some depth and subtlety. I like a lot of superficial things, but the things I am really passionate about - like snooker and cycling and really good music - take time and effort to appreciate.

But not many people are prepared to invest that time these days. I don't know if it is their fault or the fault of society but it is uncommon to find people who are willing to play the long game. Maybe there is too much choice now, and snooker can't compete in the modern era.

So in my opinion, all of us on here are the connoisseurs of an art - for snooker at its highest level is an art - that transcends sport. We might become embroiled in debates about who is the GOAT, or whether Woolaston is the best player never to have beaten Higginson in a best of seven but we know that this sandy Island that we inhabit is a rarefied place of infinite beauty and charm.

Viva snooker.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:See what Wildey says is right.

I'm not that clever but I have learnt that to really appreciate something it needs to have some depth and subtlety. I like a lot of superficial things, but the things I am really passionate about - like snooker and cycling and really good music - take time and effort to appreciate.

But not many people are prepared to invest that time these days. I don't know if it is their fault or the fault of society but it is uncommon to find people who are willing to play the long game. Maybe there is too much choice now, and snooker can't compete in the modern era.

So in my opinion, all of us on here are the connoisseurs of an art - for snooker at its highest level is an art - that transcends sport. We might become embroiled in debates about who is the GOAT, or whether Woolaston is the best player never to have beaten Higginson in a best of seven but we know that this sandy Island that we inhabit is a rarefied place of infinite beauty and charm.

Viva snooker.

Really good post this! <ok> :hatoff:

I'm not exactly like you, as my tastes involve stuff that are far from superficial and I like the deep stuff so to speak... for instance, I love movies which make you think, movies that "talk" about phylosofical stuff, old movies from the 40s, 50s, and so on, and many of the young folks like me nowadays are only attracted to Superhero movies and all that...

Dont get me wrong, I also like some of those movies, but I'm not closed to other type of movies unlike many are.

This is just an example, I give give countless others. And Snooker for is a form of art no doubt, and the long slog doesnt bother me at all, unless it's too repetitive. I've said many times you need a good mixture of fast and slow play.

And I certainly dont fall into the goldfish category lol

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Snooker is art only when Ronnie plays.

you see that post illistrates a gold fish brain person.

Snooker is art when it gets close and pressure mounts someone winning 5-0 in 50 minutes is not very exciting or good viewing.

Postby Andy Spark

Wow! I never thought my topic would get so many responses. Thanks to Badsnookerplayer, Iranu, Snookerfan, Pink Ball, Holden Chinaski, Thesaviour (who should learn the art of brevity!), Dan-Cat, Wildey, Deewee, Andre147 and Cloud Strife. Let's party a new season :party:

Postby Andy Spark

Alex0paul wrote:Good things come to those who wait

Maybe for a tomato ketchup salesman before squeezy bottles.