Post a reply

Yu Delu / Cao Yupeng

Postby SnookerFan

Following a lengthy investigation into alleged breaches of the WPBSA Rules by Yu Delu and Cao Yupeng by the WPBSA Integrity Unit working with Sportradar Integrity Services, a decision has been taken today that both players have a case to answer.

In the case of Yu Delu, this relates to manipulating the outcome of five matches he was involved in since 2015, failing to report two approaches to fix a match, betting on snooker and failing to fully cooperate with the WPBSA enquiry.

In the case of Cao Yupeng, this relates to manipulating the outcome of three matches in 2016 and failing to fully cooperate with the WPBSA enquiry.

Jason Ferguson, the Chairman of the WPBSA has taken the decision to suspend both players from attending or competing on the World Snooker Tour. This suspension will remain in place until the conclusion of the hearing or hearings and the determination of this matter. Both Players have the right to appeal his decision.

The matter will be referred to the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee where a formal hearing will take place at a venue and date to be confirmed.

Jason Ferguson said: “The decision to suspend any player immediately is a difficult decision to take. However, the WPBSA has a duty of care to ensure that snooker’s global integrity is securely preserved, therefore my decision today is to remove any question marks over the sport during the time it takes to bring these matters to formal proceedings”.

https://www.wpbsa.com/wpbsa-statement-y ... ao-yupeng/

Re: Yu Delu / Cao Yupeng

Postby Lucky

Snooker is booming, never been better, everyone is happy and its only gonna get better........Barry says so :chin:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What boat did they come on?

S.S. Higgins.

:chuckle: :hatoff:

I don't understand the betting though. :huh:
I get it that betting against yourself is out of the question, but how about betting on yourself to win ?! Is that illegal ???

Postby Iranu

Lucky wrote:Snooker is booming, never been better, everyone is happy and its only gonna get better........Barry says so :chin:

Greed and corruption have nothing to do with how healthy an organisation is.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

S.S. Higgins.

I get it that betting against yourself is out of the question, but how about betting on yourself to win ?! Is that illegal ???

Presumably you could cut a deal with your opponent.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

S.S. Higgins.

Yes. What if you colluded with your opponent? Asked them to lose on purpose, shared the profit?

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

S.S. Higgins.

Yes. What if you colluded with your opponent? Asked them to lose on purpose, shared the profit?

That's not what he asked though, is it?

Backing yourself to win should be allowed, but it isn't which is understandable considering how much snooker relies on the betting industry.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

S.S. Higgins.

That's not what he asked though, is it?

Backing yourself to win should be allowed, but it isn't which is understandable considering how much snooker relies on the betting industry.

The point is, the reason it's against the rules is because it's so easy to manipulate. If it's possible to cut a deal with your opponent to lose on purpose, than all betting on yourself has to be illegal.

Whether that's the individuals intent or not, doesn't matter. That's the reason the rules are in place, and if you break them you get punished.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:ROS thoughts on the matter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/44264413

Despite the fact that sometimes he says stupid things, I think he might be right this time. Low ranked players barely make ends meet. Instead of having 20 + events a season, maybe they should have 10 big ones, but with double the prize money. That way, even the low ranked players will make enough $.

As 4 the reason players che.at, I think it is more than obvious: in the case of top players such as Higgins it's greed, in the case of low ranked players it's a way to stay afloat.

Postby Sickpotter

I think the punishment in place for those found guilty should be sufficient deterrent for any serious pro. Examining why players parakeet is pointless, we know 99% of the time it's for financial reasons. Greed is a trait you can't make a rule to stop and there will always be those looking for easy money.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:I think Ronnie makes a point.

It is like saying that you feel that your wages are too low and so you are going to defraud the company that you work for. Ronnie would say that there should be no punishment for that fraud as they needed the money.

I agree in so far as lower ranked players need more money, but disagree that this entitles them to make illegal bets.

ROS talking like a hammer IMO.

Postby SnookerFan

He's not completely correct, obviously. There's no excuse.

But you understand why someone would be tempted in a sport where people only slightly outside the top-16 often struggle financially.

I think this needs to be addressed. That doesn't mean you don't punish anybody in breach of the rules.

Postby kolompar

Ronnie's talking bullocks. Not being good enough is no excuse for match fixing. David John doesn't deserve any money from snooker and Cao and Yu are not struggling.

Postby Deewee

Cao would have been struggling when he fixed matches. Not that I find it a very compelling excuse. Ronnie doesn't even know if this is about making money for the players or if they are just being used.