Post a reply

Re: Yu Delu / Cao Yupeng

Postby kolompar

Ash147 wrote:Anyone who participates in match fixing should be banned for life, no exceptions. That includes Higgins and Lee.

Not sure about Higgins but these two I agree. They actually fixed multiple matches. Cao got off really lightly.

Postby SteveJJ

Ash147 wrote:Anyone who participates in match fixing should be banned for life, no exceptions. That includes Higgins and Lee.

Bit harsh on Higgins to be banned for something he has never been charged with.

Postby Ash147

SteveJJ wrote:

He was perfectly happy to match fix, until he got caught.

Postby SteveJJ

Ash147 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

Saying and doing something are two completely different things.

If you said you were going to kill someone (and didn't go through with it), should you still be charged with murder?

Postby Andre147

Higgins main fault was not reporting to World Snooker what he knew.

Regardless if he did have any intentions to do it we'll never know.

In these cases (Lee, Yupeng, Delu) they did it and therefore got a long ban.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SteveJJ wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

If you said you were going to kill someone (and didn't go through with it), should you still be charged with murder?

No, but if some people would approach you and offered you money to kill someone for them I think it would be your duty to report these people to the police. Not telling the police about this and keeping it quiet should be punished as well..

Postby SnookerFan

Isn't that what Higgins got punished for though? Not reporting it?

You could argue that six months was too lenient. But he was punished for it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Isn't that what Higgins got punished for though? Not reporting it?

You could argue that six months was too lenient. But he was punished for it.

Fair enough.

Postby SteveJJ

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

No, but if some people would approach you and offered you money to kill someone for them I think it would be your duty to report these people to the police. Not telling the police about this and keeping it quiet should be punished as well..

True - but as SF has said, John was punished for this (whether too leniently is another matter). It just gets to me that frequency that people label Higgins as a match fixer when there's no evidence that he actually did it. A lot of people think that's what he was banned for and not the actual bringing the game into disrepute/failing to report an approach charges.

Higgins was idiotic in that and sullied his name but there's no evidence that he actually ever fixed a match so shouldn't be tarred with that brush. He clearly stated an intention to do so (which is diabolical) but until there's proof that he did anything more than say he would fix matches then he shouldn't be brought in to the same category as Lee, Yupeng and Yu Delu.

Will be interesting to see whether Jamie Jones' ban (if he gets one) will be similar in length to Higgins in the sense that its been made clear that Jones' hasn't fixed matches but knew what David John was up to and didn't report it.

Postby SnookerFan

In my opinion, for the very little that it's worth, Higgins had no intention of cheating.

The paper just stitched him up a bit. Gave him some alcohol, John is known to like a drink, and after a few bevvies got him to admit something in a state of bravado. Obviously, filming him, they can make it look bad like he was actually going to go through with it. Probably why Higgins didn't report it. He thought it was just some lads having a laugh.

His mafia excuse was obviously garbage though.

Postby The_Abbott

So does that mean that the player ranked 65th at the end of the season misses out on a place on the tour because Cao is still on the tour?

So, how does this help those that don't c heat?!

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46411743

One thing I don't get is how do the organisers of the fixing (the players are just the pawns after all) expect to get away with it, when surely a sum of £100k+ being dropped on a qualifying match is bound to raise suspicions??

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

One thing I don't get is how do the organisers of the fixing (the players are just the pawns after all) expect to get away with it, when surely a sum of £100k+ being dropped on a qualifying match is bound to raise suspicions??

I don't think they're bright enough to figure that out.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

I don't think they're bright enough to figure that out.

Reading the article it seems that they have software that places smaller amounts with 30 online bookies, but apparently the bookies now have software to detect this

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:One of Yu’s bets was interesting. Either player to win by 4-3. Which means he backed himself to win three frames... must have been hella confident in his ability

He must have been playing one of Ronnie's numpties.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:One of Yu’s bets was interesting. Either player to win by 4-3. Which means he backed himself to win three frames... must have been hella confident in his ability

He must have been playing one of Ronnie's numpties.

BREAKAWAY TOUR NEEDED!

Postby gallantrabbit

The other Scottish guy Burnett should have been banned. No doubt he was at it. No blame on Maguire though.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:The other Scottish guy Burnett should have been banned. No doubt he was at it. No blame on Maguire though.

I never understood this idea that Burnett was in on it, but Maguire wasn't.

Wasn't the bet on it being something like 9-4, final outcome? How did they know Burnett wouldn't win the four frames, if Maguire wasn't in on it?

Postby Dan-cat

gallantrabbit wrote:The other Scottish guy Burnett should have been banned. No doubt he was at it. No blame on Maguire though.

The tour needs more Scottish players. There are loads of Chinese ones. It's was a simple number decision