Post a reply

Re: Barry Hearn press conference highlights

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

The speed thing is ridiculous. Some players are just naturally quicker than others. The referees have just never had the balls to chin players for what they perceive as deliberate slow play so now all slower players will suffer???

Postby Dannyboy

I actually thought that there would be more players over 25 seconds, let alone 30.

Around 80 players less than 25 seconds. That is quicker than I expected it to be.

Postby GJ

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:The speed thing is ridiculous. Some players are just naturally quicker than others. The referees have just never had the balls to chin players for what they perceive as deliberate slow play so now all slower players will suffer???

The thing is though Anthony Hamilton is tactical with it

Hes a quality breakbuilder and can score pretty quick but chooses to grind at 40 secs a shot in qualifiers which is out of order.

Postby Snooker89

Barry did say something about sponsorship but It remains to be seen weather blue chip companies do come on board or if he is spoofing.

“We’re very fortunate to be in an extremely strong position in terms of sponsorship. Unlike a lot of sports, we have firms waiting to be sponsors. This is unusual, and it is predominantly gambling companies because we’re giving them so much value for money. Nonetheless we are always looking at other opportunities elsewhere and I have been very pleased with the response.

Postby Andy Spark

GJ wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:The speed thing is ridiculous. Some players are just naturally quicker than others. The referees have just never had the balls to chin players for what they perceive as deliberate slow play so now all slower players will suffer???

The thing is though Anthony Hamilton is tactical with it

Hes a quality breakbuilder and can score pretty quick but chooses to grind at 40 secs a shot in qualifiers which is out of order.

I loved the bit when he said "mentioning no names...Hamilton" haha. I agree with Hearn, let's get those ASTs out there!

Postby mick745

Q School in China?

Will it be an open entry system or just open to players from China and/or the far east I wonder?

Will there be Q Schools in other areas of the world (say continental europe) in the future?

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker89 wrote:Barry did say something about sponsorship but It remains to be seen weather blue chip companies do come on board or if he is spoofing.

“We’re very fortunate to be in an extremely strong position in terms of sponsorship. Unlike a lot of sports, we have firms waiting to be sponsors. This is unusual, and it is predominantly gambling companies because we’re giving them so much value for money. Nonetheless we are always looking at other opportunities elsewhere and I have been very pleased with the response.

What strong position?

We're relying on the gambling industry.

Postby The_Abbott

Some players have injuries - take Hamilton. He has back injuries so naturally slower then most snooker players.

Sunny Akani has a slow preparation method for each shot.

I think its ridiculous. I am all for shaming players deliberately playing slow (Ebdon in WC against Ronnie).

Postby OoNebsoO

So, about AST, there's some guy on every table pressing start/stop for shot time whenever a player pots the red ball, or when the ref puts the potted colour ball back on table? Does the time where the ref is in process of returning said colour balls on table count, or is it stopped there?

Even in qualifiers?

Postby OoNebsoO

Deewee wrote:It's calculated based on when the ref (or the scorer on tv tables) changes the score or turn. Same process in the qualifiers.

Thank you. More automated then indeed, though players could *lose* some seconds with the ref puts the colours back, right?

Will pay more attention in next qualifications to see when exactly do they press the buttons. :D

Postby Deewee

They put the colours back on their spots and then press the buttons, makes sense so it won't slow the players down or distract them. Obviously some refs are slightly slower or faster, some make mistakes, but it should even out over time.