Post a reply

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby HustleKing

He'll have a chance to win No.7, at least next year anyway depending on Father Time, but it will definitely be harder than this year.

Firstly, he'll probably get a tougher first round opponent than Un-Nooh.

Secondly, if he meets Kyren again, he will have learned from this defeat and be a tougher Crucible opponent.

Thirdly, lots of players will put in a better show overall, like Trump being better, Yan further improving and Robbo possibly learning from his Selby defeat

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Andre147

People are getting the wrong impression that because Ronnie hammered Un-Nooh, he was an easy qualifier.

He wasnt, but Ronnie was brilliant most of the match.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby HustleKing

Andre147 wrote:People are getting the wrong impression that because Ronnie hammered Un-Nooh, he was an easy qualifier.

He wasnt, but Ronnie was brilliant most of the match.


Well for the top players who like to win by mainly attacking and one frame visits (and have a high century ratio per frame), like Ronnie, Neil and Judd, he would be the ideal starting opponent if you could read their mind

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Andre147

HustleKing wrote:
Andre147 wrote:People are getting the wrong impression that because Ronnie hammered Un-Nooh, he was an easy qualifier.

He wasnt, but Ronnie was brilliant most of the match.


Well for the top players who like to win by mainly attacking and one frame visits (and have a high century ratio per frame), like Ronnie, Neil and Judd, he would be the ideal starting opponent if you could read their mind


But look at last year, Un-Nooh came a frame away from beating Trump.

He was one of the highest ranked qualifiers so he's no mug.

Ronnie dispached him easily with superb breakbuilding display.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
HustleKing wrote:
Andre147 wrote:People are getting the wrong impression that because Ronnie hammered Un-Nooh, he was an easy qualifier.

He wasnt, but Ronnie was brilliant most of the match.


Well for the top players who like to win by mainly attacking and one frame visits (and have a high century ratio per frame), like Ronnie, Neil and Judd, he would be the ideal starting opponent if you could read their mind


But look at last year, Un-Nooh came a frame away from beating Trump.

He was one of the highest ranked qualifiers so he's no mug.

Ronnie dispached him easily with superb breakbuilding display.


Exactly. Un-Nooh was arguably one of the qualifiers that seeds wanted to avoid.

Beating him was one thing, but despatching him 10-1 was another thing entirely.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby mantorok

Something is spurring Ronnie on, he started to practice more this year, before he reached his 6th world title he probably felt a 7th was out of reach and would require him to work exceptionally hard to achieve it, sacrificing himself personally which is something he's not willing to do.

I feel he has acquired motivation after winning his 6th, hell it wasn't like he played amazing all of the time to win it, he hit his A-game on occasion and he must now feel with some sharpness and a bit more practice he could achieve a 7th without having to sacrifice himself too much.

He's showing signs that he's going to give it a real shot this year, he knows that a final push to achieve a 7th (and who knows how many more wins before he retires) will probably solidify a number of un-broken records for many, many years.

I believe he will defend this year, and if he doesn't it will be because someone will play out of their skin to beat him, someone like Judd.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Reg Varney

HustleKing wrote:He'll have a chance to win No.7, at least next year anyway depending on Father Time, but it will definitely be harder than this year.

Firstly, he'll probably get a tougher first round opponent than Un-Nooh.


I know this is an old post, but people weren't saying this pre-match. All the talk was that Un Nooh was probably the toughest of the qualifiers and one of the people the seeds would want to be avoiding.

Just because O'Sullivan stuffed him doesn't take away from the fact that it was an incredibly tough first round draw (although admittedly it never panned out that way).

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Iranu

Reg Varney wrote:
HustleKing wrote:He'll have a chance to win No.7, at least next year anyway depending on Father Time, but it will definitely be harder than this year.

Firstly, he'll probably get a tougher first round opponent than Un-Nooh.


I know this is an old post, but people weren't saying this pre-match. All the talk was that Un Nooh was probably the toughest of the qualifiers and one of the people the seeds would want to be avoiding.

Just because O'Sullivan stuffed him doesn't take away from the fact that it was an incredibly tough first round draw (although admittedly it never panned out that way).

I don’t remember this? I remember people saying it would be a quick break fest.

Did people really consider Thep to be a tougher draw than all of McGill, King, Liang, Gould, Stevens?

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:Something is spurring Ronnie on, he started to practice more this year, before he reached his 6th world title he probably felt a 7th was out of reach and would require him to work exceptionally hard to achieve it, sacrificing himself personally which is something he's not willing to do.

I feel he has acquired motivation after winning his 6th, hell it wasn't like he played amazing all of the time to win it, he hit his A-game on occasion and he must now feel with some sharpness and a bit more practice he could achieve a 7th without having to sacrifice himself too much.

He's showing signs that he's going to give it a real shot this year, he knows that a final push to achieve a 7th (and who knows how many more wins before he retires) will probably solidify a number of un-broken records for many, many years.

I believe he will defend this year, and if he doesn't it will be because someone will play out of their skin to beat him, someone like Judd.


Yes good post mate.

Pretty much what I think about this, and if he's ever going to tie Hendry's 7 titles it must be this year or the coming year maybe? Can't see him doing it when he's close to 50.

He has a great chance, like you say he's been putting the practice in and only a God mode Higgins stopped him from possibly winning the Masters. And I believe he might win a tournament before the Worlds, but even if he doesn't, it's clear to see he's motivated heading to Sheffield.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Reg Varney

Iranu wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:
HustleKing wrote:He'll have a chance to win No.7, at least next year anyway depending on Father Time, but it will definitely be harder than this year.

Firstly, he'll probably get a tougher first round opponent than Un-Nooh.


I know this is an old post, but people weren't saying this pre-match. All the talk was that Un Nooh was probably the toughest of the qualifiers and one of the people the seeds would want to be avoiding.

Just because O'Sullivan stuffed him doesn't take away from the fact that it was an incredibly tough first round draw (although admittedly it never panned out that way).

I don’t remember this? I remember people saying it would be a quick break fest.

Did people really consider Thep to be a tougher draw than all of McGill, King, Liang, Gould, Stevens?


I wasn't a member of the board back then so I can't say what was talked about here, but on social media and elsewhere it was seen that way. Snookerbacker (not sure what the Island thinks of him) on his blog had Un-Nooh to win the match.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Andre147

Ronnie made Un-Nooh look easy. Wasn't Thepps the highest ranked qualifier?

And remember, the year before Thepps was a frame away from knocking Trump out, only losing 10-9. ROS was superior in all departments, yes you could say Thepps kinda collapsed, but that only happened because Ronnie put massive pressure on him in the first place.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby FoulNMiss

mantorok wrote: I believe he will defend this year, and if he doesn't it will be because someone will play out of their skin to beat him, someone like Judd.


Or someone like Higgins in the Masters...

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:If he gets his 7th, he'll get 10.

SInce when do they give out 4 titles in one go?

Where is Hendry's 8th , 9th and 10th titles when he won his 7th? ;-)

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Iranu

The_Abbott wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:If he gets his 7th, he'll get 10.

SInce when do they give out 4 titles in one go?

Where is Hendry's 8th , 9th and 10th titles when he won his 7th? ;-)

In Wales, he was due to pick them up but there was that damned technical glitch.

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:The first page of this thread is an interesting read.


That's always been the case with people on this site.

The same people that give it; "Ronnie loves to prove the doubters wrong" are the ones who doubt him the most.