Post a reply

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby GJ

No for 2 reasons

1. He cant beat players there who he owns

2. The 3 session matches he doesn't enjoy at all

Postby Andre147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:That's now four years in a row that he hasn't won the World Title, the first time since 2001. It's also four years not making the one table stage which has never happened before.

For me that's even worst. He's not even got into a position where you could say he had a chance.

I'll say no, he wont win another, sadly.

I'll only believe he can win another World Title if he reaches another Semi-Final. Before that stage, whether he faces Mark Selby or Basem Eltahan, my feeling will be the same.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:No for 2 reasons

His desire is not there anymore for the Crucible slog.

Postby GJ

Andre147 wrote:

Have to agree and you can tell that by his facial expressions

Postby Iranu

GJ wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Have to agree and you can tell that by his facial expressions

Disagree. If anything he wants it too much and it's getting the better of him.

Postby TheRocket

Have to say no atm.

He's not losing to a new supertalent but to players he beat up his whole career like Bingham,Hawkins and now Carter. Atm you have to say that anyone in the Top16 could beat Ronnie at the Crucible. You couldn't say that in the past that's for sure.

He hasn't even got to the one table stage since 2014 either. For a player of his calibre thats really poor.

But I can still see Ronnie having one more good run and win the title at that attempt. One last inspiration or something like that. Thats still possible. So I wouldn't completely rule out a sixth World title but its getting not any easier. That's for sure.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:He's had his best season as a professional. He shows no signs of slowing. He'll definitely win another world title.

He shows no signs of slowing in all the other ranking events, including UK and Masters.

But The Crucible? I say no, sadly. Crucible slog just doesnt make him want it that bad anymore.

Postby Andre147

I believe he can win 1 or 2 more UK Titles and have the outright record, same goes with Masters which he already holds, but confidence for another world title is zero.

Postby Ronnie79

Pink Ball wrote:He's had his best season as a professional. He shows no signs of slowing. He'll definitely win another world title.

he won 6 titles in 01 which was a better season not all ranking of course. pinky he is not slowing in the short format events which he is still winning but he does not seem to be able to contend at the Cruci because of the format. A longer format should suit the best player in the world because in theory you have to win 10, 13, 17 or 18 frames off him, but in practice for ROS that seems to have a negative effect ie for the last 4 years he has crumbled in at least one of the sessions losing multible frames last year against Ding lost it in the second session and lost it really against Carter last night.

Postby Ronnie79

Andre147 wrote:

He shows no signs of slowing in all the other ranking events, including UK and Masters.

But The Crucible? I say no, sadly. Crucible slog just doesnt make him want it that bad anymore.

you can win all the Masters and UK's you want but its the world that matters

Postby Alex0paul

Ronnie79 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly. That's why Hendry's 7 make him the greatest

Postby Erza Scarlet

No I don't have any confidence in Ronnie winning another world title unfortunately. This is his longest streak without winning a world title since 2001. He had streaks of 2-3 years where he didn't win one but now it's 5 years and I have to be tough, given that he's winning every other tournament out there including various Triple Crown events every year, he just can't do it at the Crucible anymore. He hasn't been the same player at that tournament since 2012-2014 where he was actually playing solid level of Snooker. That's poor for me. He should have won 1 by now given what he's doing everywhere else.

Not only that but he hasn't reached a one table setup in 4 years to even have a chance. That's really frustrating.

The expectation makes him too vulenerable at the Crucible. Doesn't allow him to play his best level of Snooker hence why he's been losing to players he thoroughly owns instead of a new, young, talented guy that would blow him off the table. I'd actually have no problem with that. But now, there's a lot of precedent set to say anyone has the belief of beating him at the Crucible when you look at the losses he has against Bingham, Hawkins, and Carter. And Ronnie's confidence every year will dip knowing how he plays at this event.

He will continue to win ranking events. He'll break Hendry's ranking tournaments record and Triple Crown record. But I can't see Ronnie winning another WC. I can't keep saying "yeah, he'll do it next year". His record there for the last 4 years simply doesn't support it.

Postby Pink Ball

Alex0paul wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly. That's why Hendry's 7 make him the greatest

Nah, Sullivan's the best I've ever seen. Hendry didn't win a huge amount after the class of '92 came into their prime which I think is a massive point against him. He was young, he was hungry, he wasn't quite good enough.

Postby PLtheRef

I said back on May 5th 2014 as O'Sullivan was defeated in a World Championship Final for the first time that he wouldn't win the World Championship again. Now with two real opportunities having past him by in 2015 and 2018 it would seem now more likely than not that he will finish his career on five world titles

It's been a great season for him and he has certainly been the player of the 2017/18 snooker season. Though it's always seemed to me that a sixth World title would be a long shot, he has played consistently well enough throughout the year to make it seem a reasonable suggestion he could go on and do it this year.

It's said that the longer the format, the more beneficial it is for the top players who are more used to the distance, particularly now that there are fewer events with the longer matches in them. But then, times change, and so does O'Sullivan.The week long events do seem to be more to his liking now, not too many matches, comfortable with the format - look at his recent record in the Masters and the ITV events for example.

Someone mentioned that he hasn't been at the Semi-Finals here since 2014 and that it is a cause for concern.

Ronnie made the Semi-Finals at the Crucible at his fourth attempt in 1996. Ever since he has managed to make a rendezvous with the one table set-up at the Crucible within four years of his previous appearance

Until this year
Last edited by PLtheRef on 29 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

"Until this year"

Quite right PL! How can I and others be confident he'll win another one when this will be his longest streak without even making the Semis? And he's not 30 anymore, the man is 42 years old and every year it goes by it turns more and more difficult.

I acutally remember you saying that in 2014, and at the time, although I was absolutely gutted he had lost, I thought, ok, he may have lost this one, but he'll return stronger.

I now fully believe he never recovered from that defeat and the opponents he lost here (although good ones) prove my point.

I dont believe he'll win another World Title, I simply cant given what we have seen since 2014. Unless and only unless he makes the one-table setup again, if he does that it might give me some light at the end of the tunnel. Until then, no matter which players he faces here, I won't believe it.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:That's now four years in a row that he hasn't won the World Title, the first time since 2001. It's also four years not making the one table stage which has never happened before.

Five years.

Postby Wildey

i would never say no But his chance of reaching 7 looks dead in the water if im honest for that to become a possibility he had to win this year.