Post a reply

Re: Will Ronnie ever win another world title ?

Postby Holden Chinaski

He said in his post match interview he'd like to play on until he's fifty. I can see him do that and I can see him winning one or two world titles somewhere in the next eight years.

Postby Johnny Bravo

I also must join the "NO" boat.

For whatever reason, he seems to play poorly here. And as Andre mentioned it, time is not on his side.

For me, the fact that he went to the China Open was a huge mistake. He should have rested and prepare properly for this event. Maybe he won't make the same mistake next year.

Anyway, for me to believe he's gonna win it, a couple of things need to happen. First of all, he needs a really easy draw, although I don't know what that means anymore. Like Andre said, even Milkins might beat him now at the Crucible.
I also think the pressure gets to him too much at this event. He needs a year like 13, when he came here without any expectations, so there was little pressure on him.

Postby Andre147

ROS usually always plays the China Open because chinese sponsors pay him huge appearance money. He says he doesnt care about that but he sure does. He never has any intention of winning that tournament.

But I dont think it has much to do with the World Title.

I would like to think the hard part for him now is reaching the one table setup, once he does that he might get enough motivation to do well.

I'm not saying if he does that he'll 100% go on to win, no not that, BUT he might get fired up for it. But I cant even see him reaching that stage at the moment and I never will until he actually does it again.

Postby mantorok

I think, for the first time, we should actually listen to ROS, he's never liked the crucible slog, he knows time is not on his side and he's already expressed how he favours shorter formats.

I get it, people want to point at 6 world titles and say he did it, he's a great (he already is btw), he's up there with Davis & Readon, but I don't think he's driven by that, I think he just enjoys the fact that he can still win tournaments in his twilight years, and I think it's about time we respected that and stop pretending it's the end of world when he doesn't do well here.

He's made it clear he's going to retire at 50, so that's another 7 appearances? I wouldn't back him to get another world title but I would certainly agree he has just as much chance as any other player - I would never dream of writing him off and I don't think even he would.

He's also expressed becoming world champion in his 40s, well he's got plenty of time to achieve that, maybe he's just hoping in that time he'll have a spur of good form and float his way to a world title?

He may also wake up one morning and decide that he's going to properly prepare for the crucible and duck out of a few tournaments and concentrate on that - we just don't know, this is what fascinates his fans, you never know what's next.

He didn't look bothered yesterday, and sometimes I think his fans care more about those trophies than he does, so cut him some slack, enjoy the rest of his career and many more wins to come, world titles or not.

Another world title is not going to alter the fact that he's the most talented player to ever pick up a cue, and oh, he may not break the world titles record but he sure hell will break every other record there is - happy days.

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:He's made it clear he's going to retire at 50, so that's another 7 appearances? I wouldn't back him to get another world title but I would certainly agree he has just as much chance as any other player - I would never dream of writing him off and I don't think even he would.

He's also expressed becoming world champion in his 40s, well he's got plenty of time to achieve that, maybe he's just hoping in that time he'll have a spur of good form and float his way to a world title?

He may also wake up one morning and decide that he's going to properly prepare for the crucible and duck out of a few tournaments and concentrate on that - we just don't know, this is what fascinates his fans, you never know what's next..

Exactly! <ok>

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:He's made it clear he's going to retire at 50.

rofl <doh>

He retired at 17, for bucks sake. He's had more retirements than Terry Funk.

We know that. But he talks less bullocks than he has done previously.

Postby Andre147

ROS says he wants to play till hes 50, but if his level of play drops significantly, say 2010-2011 poor level, he wont have motivation to for instance go to qualifiers. Do you see him try and qualify for the Crucible? I dont.

Realisticaly, he has 2, at most 3 great cracks to win the World Title. Once he's past 45, you cant expect him to win another one. This is not the 70s and 80s anymore.

Postby Iranu

Why does everyone think Ronnie isn't motivated to win another World title?

Seems pretty clear to me he's trying too hard if anything...

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:Why does everyone think Ronnie isn't motivated to win another World title?

There were a lot of factors this year, Selby going out, Ronnie not really bringing his A-game, having a great season, those things must've crossed his mind.

Sure, he may have thought too hard about it and it affected him, who knows? He never seems to say much in his interviews as to his state of mind, he looked like he didn't care, but for all we know he could've gone home and punched the wall.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:ROS says he wants to play till hes 50, but if his level of play drops significantly, say 2010-2011 poor level, he wont have motivation to for instance go to qualifiers. Do you see him try and qualify for the Crucible? I dont.

Realisticaly, he has 2, at most 3 great cracks to win the World Title. Once he's past 45, you cant expect him to win another one. This is not the 70s and 80s anymore.

You're right, and there's far too many players waiting in the wings to have a crack too, the standard of play amongst the lower ranked players is higher than it's ever been.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:Why does everyone think Ronnie isn't motivated to win another World title?

There were a lot of factors this year, Selby going out, Ronnie not really bringing his A-game, having a great season, those things must've crossed his mind.

Sure, he may have thought too hard about it and it affected him, who knows? He never seems to say much in his interviews as to his state of mind, he looked like he didn't care, but for all we know he could've gone home and punched the wall.

How did he look like he didn't care? He looked very frustrated with his form from where I was sitting.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan plays for the records despite what he says. And the World Title tally is the most important record of them all.

If he didn't care, he would have retired long ago. He doesn't need the money.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:

How did he look like he didn't care? He looked very frustrated with his form from where I was sitting.

In the match he did, but I mean in his interviews, he's all smiles and didn't look bothered at all.

Postby Iranu

Ah right.

He's been like that for a while to be fair. Bit of a closed book in terms of how he feels about losing.

Better that than threatening to retire <ok>

Postby mantorok

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan plays for the records despite what he says. And the World Title tally is the most important record of them all.

.....or maybe he just enjoys the game of snooker, playing and promoting it?

Postby vodkadiet

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan plays for the records despite what he says. And the World Title tally is the most important record of them all.

.....or maybe he just enjoys the game of snooker, playing and promoting it?

Yes, he enjoys it also. But he is a competitive animal and winning means more a top class competitor than anything else.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Ronnie said he wants to win 2 world titles before he reaches 50 so he does care. After the Maguire match he was speaking to Hazel and Parrot and said he did want to be here and that it's the biggest event.

He just never turned up against Carter. Not even his B game.

Postby mantorok

Erza Scarlet wrote:Ronnie said he wants to win 2 world titles before he reaches 50 so he does care. After the Maguire match he was speaking to Hazel and Parrot and said he did want to be here and that it's the biggest event.

He just never turned up against Carter. Not even his B game.

He didn't prepare properly for this tournament, he was out of shape completely. I think that shows more about how much he cares than anything.

Talk is cheap.

Postby TheRocket

He cares a lot but he struggles to handle the pressure at the Crucible from what I've seen atm. The harder he tries the worse it gets. I'm kinda sure he expected to win this year given the good season he's had but he never looked like the player we've seen earlier this season. Not even once. From the first frame against Maguire to the end and final frame against Carter he was struggling.

Funnily enough he had a much poorer season last year but looked a lot better at the World Championship. Looked allright against Wilson and Murphy. And played decent against Ding even though he lost. But this year was just a shocker.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:He cares a lot but he struggles to handle the pressure at the Crucible from what I've seen atm. The harder he tries the worse it gets. I'm kinda sure he expected to win this year given the good season he's had but he never looked like the player we've seen earlier this season. Not even once. From the first frame against Maguire to the end and final frame against Carter he was struggling.

Funnily enough he had a much poorer season last year but looked a lot better at the World Championship. Looked allright against Wilson and Murphy. And played decent against Ding even though he lost. But this year was just a shocker.

Quite right!

Given the season he's had, he probably thought only Higgins or Selby could really beat him here. Turns out it was his bunny Carter who did that.