Post a reply

Re: Should we abolish player's wearing wasictoasts and trous

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:Just try to enter a public place wearing a nice suit, and do the same with flip-flops and cargo trousers. People's reactions will be very different.

People who give you approval based on what you wear, are not worth seeking approval of.

It's a subconscious thing.

Everybody does it even if they don't realise it. Your brain makes assumptions about people based on how they dress and how they present themselves.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:Just try to enter a public place wearing a nice suit, and do the same with flip-flops and cargo trousers. People's reactions will be very different.

People who give you approval based on what you wear, are not worth seeking approval of.

+1

Dont judge a book by it's cover.

:hatoff:

Postby LeonD123

SnookerFan wrote:

You're right to a certain extent.

But going for a night out at at the Crucible or a the restaurant, dressed like a potatoe, is a complete lack of respect for yourself and others.

You also judge things by it's cover. When you enter a restaurant that looks absolutely filthy. Maybe the owner is a fantastic person and the food is good, but you will not eat there. (not saying that people dressing bad aren't clean)

Suit is snooker's uniform and I think it is important to keep it.

Postby Chalk McHugh

LeonD123 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

You're right to a certain extent.

But going for a night out at at the Crucible or a the restaurant, dressed like a potatoe, is a complete lack of respect for yourself and others.

You also judge things by it's cover. When you enter a restaurant that looks absolutely filthy. Maybe the owner is a fantastic person and the food is good, but you will not eat there. (not saying that people dressing bad aren't clean)

Suit is snooker's uniform and I think it is important to keep it.

Just add a jacket and you could be a jacket potatoe. Bobs your teapot.

Postby SnookerFan

LeonD123 wrote:You also judge things by it's cover. When you enter a restaurant that looks absolutely filthy. Maybe the owner is a fantastic person and the food is good, but you will not eat there. (not saying that people dressing bad aren't clean)

What has a restaurant with dirt everywhere got to do with what people are wearing?

Postby SnookerFan

People say; "We judge people after seeing them for three seconds."

I have no doubt that's true. I'm sure I do it. Won't deny.

However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we should consider good about ourselves.

And I sure as hell ain't dressing in a way that isn't comfortable for me just for the approval of others. I can't understand why I would.

Others can, that's fine. We're all different. But it's just the way I am. Work and funerals, you kind of have to. Any other time I dress like me. Not for the approval of others.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 25 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:People say; "We judge people after seeing them for three seconds."

However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we shouldn't consider good about ourselves.

And I sure as hell ain't dressing in a way that isn't comfortable for me just for the approval of others. I can't understand why I would.

Others can, that's fine. We're all different. But it's just the way I am. Work and funerals, you kind of have to. Any other time I dress like me. Not for the approval of others.

Good post. Me too.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:People say; "We judge people after seeing them for three seconds."

However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we shouldn't consider good about ourselves.

Good post. Me too.

:hatoff:

Postby Cloud Strife

However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we should consider good about ourselves.

You sound like a whiny idealist.

"However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we should consider good about ourselves."

Seriously? Enough with the cod philosophy. <doh>

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:

"However I don't believe that's a good thing. Humans, a supposed intelligent species, should work to eradicate this flaw from ourselves. It's certainly not a thing we should consider good about ourselves."

He's right though.

Unfortunately it's an evolutionary trait and likely impossible to eradicate completely.

Postby LeonD123

But dressing smart doesn't mean it's not comfortable. Of course, wearing an oversized 30£ synthetic suit right out a gypsy market is not comfortable.

If you go to a restaurant wearing a pyjama. It's gonna be comfortable for your body maybe, but you won't feel good about yourself. I have suits that are more comfortable than a pyjama or jeans/football jersey combo.

Same if you go to a job interview wearing a swimming suit or ripped jeans.

I understand your point of view with judging people by their cover. But life in society requires uniforms. If you're waiting a policeman or a plumber at home, you want dudes dressed like policemen and plumbers, not like a rasta-man from Jamaïca.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

He's right though.

Unfortunately it's an evolutionary trait and likely impossible to eradicate completely.

I'm not disagreeing with him. I'm just struggling to understand how we got from snooker player's clothing to evolutionary traits, human behaviour and pseudophilosophy.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

He's right though.

I'm not disagreeing with him. I'm just struggling to understand how we got from snooker player's clothing to evolutionary traits, human behaviour and pseudophilosophy.

By being a forum full of geniuses.

Postby SnookerFan

LeonD123 wrote:

But dressing smart doesn't mean it's not comfortable. Of course, wearing an oversized 30£ synthetic suit right out a gypsy market is not comfortable.

If you go to a restaurant wearing a pyjama. It's gonna be comfortable for your body maybe, but you won't feel good about yourself. I have suits that are more comfortable than a pyjama or jeans/football jersey combo.

I understand your point of view with judging people by their cover. But life in society requires uniforms. If you're waiting a policeman or a plumber at home, you want dudes dressed like policemen and plumbers, not like a rasta-man from Jamaïca.

I understand a restaurant you're kind of expected to, and I would to extent dress up.

Not sure I'd feel good in a shirt and trousers. I'm a slob like that. I probably would feel good like that. rofl

I understand I am weird though. Very few people like me.

A restaurant where everyone is in pyjamas sounds awesome though. You must admit. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

He's right though.

Probably impossible, you're right.

Still, aim for the stars.

Postby LeonD123

SnookerFan wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:

I understand a restaurant you're kind of expected to, and I would to extent dress up.

Not sure I'd feel good in a shirt and trousers. I'm a slob like that. I probably would feel good like that. rofl

A restaurant where everyone is in pyjamas sounds awesome though. You must admit. rofl

There are restaurants where you eat in total penumbra.

Postby SnookerFan

LeonD123 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:

There are restaurants where you eat in total penumbra.

What's penumbra?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Have we just hit on a business idea?

Pyjama Themed Restaurants. Everybody comes in their pyjamas. Change out of your shoes into slippers. Confy chairs to sit, waiters/waitresses bring you lovely food.

No formality. Just good times.

We live in the age of the hipster. I guarantee you those restaurants already exist.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Girls ( and woman ) wearing pyjamas on the streets of Dublin became a fashion trend for many years. Especially in the flat complexes in the city centre. You could wander into a shop at 3pm and find girls in pyjamas. Never got it myself but they sure as hell looked comfy.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:Girls ( and woman ) wearing pyjamas on the streets of Dublin became a fashion trend for many years. Especially in the flat complexes in the city centre. You could wander into a shop at 3pm and find girls in pyjamas. Never got it myself but they sure as hell looked comfy.

Is it bad that that turns me on a bit?

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Girls ( and woman ) wearing pyjamas on the streets of Dublin became a fashion trend for many years. Especially in the flat complexes in the city centre. You could wander into a shop at 3pm and find girls in pyjamas. Never got it myself but they sure as hell looked comfy.

Is it bad that that turns me on a bit?

Haha