Post a reply

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby vodkadiet

The standard of snooker in the 1998 final was the highest standard Crucible final there has been.

Ken Doherty was unlucky he played in such a strong era.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:The standard of snooker in the 1998 final was the highest standard Crucible final there has been.

Ken Doherty was unlucky he played in such a strong era.


In 1999 Higgins played as good if not even better at times than he did a year before when he had won his first World title.

But Williams destroyed him in the semis.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:The standard of snooker in the 1998 final was the highest standard Crucible final there has been.

Ken Doherty was unlucky he played in such a strong era.

Not a bad shout. The 2013 final would be my shout, however, even if it wasn't that exciting.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The standard of snooker in the 1998 final was the highest standard Crucible final there has been.

Ken Doherty was unlucky he played in such a strong era.

Not a bad shout. The 2013 final would be my shout, however, even if it wasn't that exciting.


Yes, that was a similar standard. Hawkins exceeded himself and that was the making of him.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:The 2015 final was a very high standard as well. In fact, In terms of scoring power even the best.


Yes, but scoring isn't everything. Doherty of 98 would have beaten them both.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:The 2015 final was a very high standard as well. In fact, In terms of scoring power even the best.


Yes, but scoring isn't everything. Doherty of 98 would have beaten them both.


Yeah could be. I suppose Doherty would have been too clever for someone like Murphy.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby Andre147

That 1998 Final and 2003 Final were insane standard.

The 2013 Final was one of the best too standard wise, both Hawkins and ROS played at their peak games or very close to it.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:That 1998 Final and 2003 Final were insane standard.

The 2013 Final was one of the best too standard wise, both Hawkins and ROS played at their peak games or very close to it.


The third session of the 2003 final saw one of the best sessions ever played by anyone. Doherty was superb in winning that session 7-1 against Williams.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby The_Abbott

I know its cliché but the 1985 final still the one in the memory for me. That's what my 10 year old self tells me even though the Hendry/White finals were awesome. But not 2002.

Re: 20 years on, can John Higgins create history?

Postby Chalk McHugh

The_Abbott wrote:I know its cliché but the 1985 final still the one in the memory for me. That's what my 10 year old self tells me even though the Hendry/White finals were awesome. But not 2002.


Same here. I was 8 years old but remember watching the '85 final. That had me hooked for life.


   

cron