Post a reply

Re: World Championship dress code changes

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I take SF's point though.
They need to be more specific so that it is not up to staff discretion

Yes, imagine people like me who travel from abroad and far away suddenly ariving my first time at The Crucible and then get barred because they dont like my clothing rofl <doh>

I wouldnt wear sports related stuff or anything like that though, but thats just me.

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:Hope to see SnookerFan thrown out.

I'm not going.

I might get thrown out of the pub, if I ask them to put the snooker on. rofl

Oh, I thought that was your problem, that you have to get new clothes or something <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:Oh, I thought that was your problem, that you have to get new clothes or something <laugh>

No, my problem was I thought people were going to get thrown out solely on the basis of not looking smart enough. Which is ridiculous. What people in the crowd are wearing is pretty irrelevant.

But, as was pointed out, it's probably just relates to sponsorship on sports clothing.

I think people should all go in Rugby tops, and then point out it wasn't on the list of banned clothing. rofl

Postby Iranu

If it's free sponsorship they're worried about then will they ban designer shirts too? With those stupid little crocodiles, men on horses, penguins etc?

I guess they're more worried about betting competitors but couldn't those companies kick up a fuss if only they are banned?

99% of the logos on my t shirts are fictional so I'd be fine.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:If it's free sponsorship they're worried about then will they ban designer shirts too? With those stupid little crocodiles, men on horses, penguins etc?

I guess they're more worried about betting competitors but couldn't those companies kick up a fuss if only they are banned?

For clarity, I've just tweeted Barry Hearn and World Snooker asking for more specifics. <ok>

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:If it's free sponsorship they're worried about then will they ban designer shirts too? With those stupid little crocodiles, men on horses, penguins etc?

For clarity, I've just tweeted Barry Hearn and World Snooker asking for more specifics. <ok>

Can you ask on my friend's behalf about crop top and leather pants? He's very flamboyant.

Postby Sickpotter

SnookerFan wrote:People have had to pay for tickets a year in advance. Tickets went on sale before last year's final had ended. Also people travel from all over the world to see this. And suddenly they're expected to adhere to a dress code that World Snooker decided on 10 days before the tournament started? That's just silly.

It's not even given you a full list of what's on the dress code. Yes, it says no football shirts, but then also says "spectators are requested to dress smartly in the arena" and ; " If in the opinion of the Event Promoter an item of clothing is not deemed suitable to wear in the arena the person will be refused admission until such time they have found an alternative item of clothing that is deemed acceptable." So, is it just based on the opinion of staff on how you look?

Besides, what's the point to it? Does World Snooker think that it'll attract new fans, if the fans look a bit smarter? How will the attire of the crowd make any difference to viewing figures? Some guy channel surfing; "Wow, the guy in the third row is in a tux. I better stop and watch this....." <doh>

Is this just a late April Fools Day gag, or what?

Smarter dressers appeal to a much broader range of sponsors.

They've already weakened the dress code for the players and that move lost them some of their high end sponsorship, this is likely a move to attract them back without having to return the players to more formal attire.

Hardly a big deal IMO.... :shrug:

Quite frankly anyone who doesn't have something other than a football jersey to wear should probably just go watch it on the tele in the pub.

Postby SnookerFan

I was working under the assumption it was more than just a football shirts. It says they expect you to be smart, and staff can ask you to leave if they don't approve of your dress.

If it's just football shirts you're disallowed, it's not the hugest of deals.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:I was working under the assumption it was more than just a football shirts. It says they expect you to be smart, and staff can ask you to leave if they don't approve of your dress.

Yes that would be fine, but suddenly if people have to go there with suit and all that, then that would be silly!

I dont think its quite as strict as that though.

Postby kolompar

I wouldn't mind a stricter dress code. What's wrong with trying to make the sport look more classy?
There was a photo from the Joe Davis era I've been trying to find for this thread, packed crowd and everyone wearing suits. Looked really cool.

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:I wouldn't mind a stricter dress code. What's wrong with trying to make the sport look more classy?
There was a photo from the Joe Davis era I've been trying to find for this thread, packed crowd and everyone wearing suits. Looked really cool.

We dont live in 30s or 40s anymore when every person, public event or not, wore classy clothes.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
kolompar wrote:I wouldn't mind a stricter dress code. What's wrong with trying to make the sport look more classy?

We dont live in 30s or 40s anymore when every person, public event or not, wore classy clothes.

If only.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Next time I'm going to a snooker tournament I'll be wearing a tuxedo and a top hat.

You do that! <ok>

Postby Deewee

Andre147 wrote:

Huh?

Re: World Chwampionship dress code changes

Postby SnookerFan

Who cares what the people in the crowd are wearing? Who watches for that?

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I was working under the assumption it was more than just a football shirts. It says they expect you to be smart, and staff can ask you to leave if they don't approve of your dress.

Yes that would be fine, but suddenly if people have to go there with suit and all that, then that would be silly!

I dont think its quite as strict as that though.

Yeah, I kind of misread it/misunderstood it. I thought you weren't allowed T-Shirts. I thought World Snooker weren't letting you in if you weren't in a shirt and trousers.

Postby LeonD123

Lucky wrote:Any grown man wearing a football top at any form of social event (especially with jeans) should be regarded as a chav of the lowest order. Even most of the bottom feeders on Jeremy Kyle shy away from them.

Right !

Don't dress like american pool players.