No votes
7. Ray Reardon
7%
8. Other (please state)
No votes

Total votes : 27

Re: Best pressure player of all time

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:Given that he suffers from a massively debilitating mental illness in a sport that asks so much a person mentally, what O'Sullivan has achieved is extraordinary. It says a lot for his mental strength, of that there is no doubt.

Quality post, pinko.

Postby Wildey

I Dont think Ronnie deals with pressure because he doesent feel it

He plays these days as it means nothing and he can just perform every match and win is a bonus for him as in his words Part Time player But just think about Selby coming back from 10-5 down against Ronnie in a World Final. Ronnie is by a mile the best front Runner ever and he lost 13-4 from there against Selby that speaks volume about Selby as a pressure Player

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:I Dont think Ronnie deals with pressure because he doesent feel it

He plays these days as it means nothing and he can just perform every match and win is a bonus for him as in his words Part Time player But just think about Selby coming back from 10-5 down against Ronnie in a World Final. Ronnie is by a mile the best front Runner ever and he lost 13-4 from there against Selby that speaks volume about Selby as a pressure Player

Ronnie wants to win tournaments as much as everybody else.

Yes he may enter less tournaments than the rest of the field, but nowadays when he does enter he feels the pressure because he wants to win.

This part-time job is nonsense at tournaments he does play. He's upset when he loses and the competitive instinct kicks in, so like I said every tournament he enter he feels the pressure because he wants to win it like every player competing in it.

Postby TheSaviour

What pressure?

I got the message; it´s completely pressure free game on these days. Well, it could be if all the players would known their own powers also, not just the weaknesses-wisdom they are lacking But I reckon I warned you about those Guinea-pigs, didn´t I.... Still most of them are letting themselves systemically down as they don´t accept or know their strenghts. When not knowing your real strengts it´s not possible to use those. When the pressure kicks in.

It´s like the medicines and the diseases still concerns everyone. When flying too high it might be the case that I can´t get ill and everything in my body works without efforts. Drivel! They just don´t know their real strenghts and the powers.

But surely the societes still works perfectly normally. And at least the weather is always highly appreciated, which causes more balanced behaviour and makes the variations possible and to happen.

So not any Ferrari´s left in the middle of the road, this time. That´s good and solid. But only to them to have completely second ideas tomorrow. But at least they do have those Ferrari´s.. That´s just the price trying to work with the Japanese; trying to solve the problems of them which are not even possible to solve. :-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie feels more pressure than anyone else probably. He has said so himself it's not easy to perform sometimes when everybody expects you to play like a genius all the time. Ronnie is never the underdog. He's always the one the crowd expects to win and play great. Everytime he walks to the table the crowd is shouting as if he's about to make a 147 or something. Everytime he enters a tournament everybody expects him to win it.

It's easier to be the underdog. Takes the pressure off. Ronnie has never been the underdog and never will be. That's pressure.

Ronnie's decider win percentage is impressive in my opinion.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ronnie's decider win percentage is very good. This does not however define who is the greatest pressure player.

I have contemplated on this and I think Ronnie has melted too many times against good players to be considered a great pressure player.

IMO Selby is far better under pressure.

Postby Johnny Bravo

How can Hendry get 5 votes ?!????
The level was a lot lower and he was barely challenged in the early 90's.
Higgins and Selbo are lightyears in front of him.
As 4 Ronnie, HC u are half right: yes there is a lot of pressure on him to win, but hr has crumbled too many times to be considered the best at it.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie feels more pressure than anyone else probably. He has said so himself it's not easy to perform sometimes when everybody expects you to play like a genius all the time. Ronnie is never the underdog. He's always the one the crowd expects to win and play great. Everytime he walks to the table the crowd is shouting as if he's about to make a 147 or something. Everytime he enters a tournament everybody expects him to win it.

It's easier to be the underdog. Takes the pressure off. Ronnie has never been the underdog and never will be. That's pressure.

That's because he's the best player.

Postby Holden Chinaski

John Higgins should have more votes in my opinion. Selby is fantastic under pressure but come on, John Higgins should have more votes than Selby.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie feels more pressure than anyone else probably. He has said so himself it's not easy to perform sometimes when everybody expects you to play like a genius all the time. Ronnie is never the underdog. He's always the one the crowd expects to win and play great. Everytime he walks to the table the crowd is shouting as if he's about to make a 147 or something. Everytime he enters a tournament everybody expects him to win it.

That's because he's the best player.

Agreed - but not the best under pressure

Postby Holden Chinaski

For me it's Ronnie but I can agree with Hendry, Higgins and Selby as well. Hendry was a machine in his prime. But even Hendry was not always perfect under pressure... When he lost to Mark Williams in the 1998 Masters final for example. That black he missed to the middle pocket!