Post a reply

Re: Class of '92!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Those strange words seem to be from Dragonball Z. At least that's what comes up when I Google it.

What's Dragonball Z?

A computer game?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Those strange words seem to be from Dragonball Z. At least that's what comes up when I Google it.

What's Dragonball Z?

A computer game?

Manga/anime series.

Postby SnookerFan

Selby = Mark Selby
Ronnie = Ronnie O'Sullivan
Higgins = John Higgins
Hawkins = Barry Hawkins
Judd = Judd Trump

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Selby = Mark Selby
Higgins = John Higgins
Hawkins = Barry Hawkins
Judd = Judd Trump

Controversial

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Selby = Mark Selby
Higgins = John Higgins
Hawkins = Barry Hawkins
Judd = Judd Trump

Controversial

I'm thinking outside of the box, man.

Postby Andy Spark

Brilliant, amazing players, but let’s face facts, it shows how crap the next generation is that these three 42 year old players have dominated this season.

I blame the governing bodys for being crap; which comes back to the players of that time being crap at politics and electing crap people to run the game.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andy Spark wrote:Brilliant, amazing players, but let’s face facts, it shows how crap the next generation is that these three 42 year old players have dominated this season.

I blame the governing bodys for being crap; which comes back to the players of that time being crap at politics and electing crap people to run the game.

I agree Andy and also the death of the pro-am scene

Postby Andy Spark

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Brilliant, amazing players, but let’s face facts, it shows how crap the next generation is that these three 42 year old players have dominated this season.

I agree Andy and also the death of the pro-am scene

Yeah absolutely, they couldn't get "battle hardened", and incidentally this problem was exacerbated by not tightening the pockets!

The problem with keeping pocket size the same under the conditions of the time is that all the next generation pros can make a century or two on a good day, when not under pressure. This means that the real differences become less about pure snooker skill and more about how you deal with pressure; now with the reduced tournaments (reduced by mismanagement under the older regimes!) the new and prospective pros couldn't practice dealing with the pressure as much as they needed when young.

Reduce pocket size and you shift the emphasis, which would have helped the younger generation.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's been mentioned before but it's no coincidence that those three players all grew up at the height of the snooker boom in the 80's as did so many other top players. For the likes of Selby and Murphy, it would have been during the era of the Hendry-White world finals which was the last time snooker produced real massive ratings outside Asia.

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZcjVtToP4

He certainly is a John Higgins fan!

I'm rather ambivalent about Higgins. On the one hand, he was an idiot to be so naive at the age of 34 and also greedy. On the other hand, we all make mistakes in life (Alex Higgins made loads!). If an Alex Higgins fan, like me, is not willing to forgive John then that is a peculiar moral code.

Postby vodkadiet

Andy Spark wrote:

He certainly is a John Higgins fan!

I'm rather ambivalent about Higgins. On the one hand, he was an idiot to be so naive at the age of 34 and also greedy. On the other hand, we all make mistakes in life (Alex Higgins made loads!). If an Alex Higgins fan, like me, is not willing to forgive John then that is a peculiar moral code.

Good point Andy. What is good for one Higgins must be good for another Higgins!

Postby SnookerFan

I remember when Alex Higgins died.

I saw somebody on the news claim that he was John's dad. <doh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 21 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie O'Sullivan needs to climb out of John Higgins' bottom and stop making him bigger than he is.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:

Ronnie O'Sullivan needs to climb out of John Higgins' bottom and stop making him bigger than he is.

I will defend to the death your right to spout bullocks

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:And another title goes to a Class of 92 player. What a season this has been so far. Isn't it fair to say that O'Sullivan,Higgins and Williams (in that order) are the three top contenders to win the World Championship now?

Would put Selby in 3rd place and MJW in 4th.

Despite having a great season, his greatest for at least 15 years, MJW isnt as consistent as his other 2 rivals of the 92 generation, and Selby having won 3 of the last 4 also has an impact here.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Selby has to be as strong a favourite as anybody surely. To suggest Williams and Higgins are bigger favourites surprises me.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Selby has to be as strong a favourite as anybody surely. To suggest Williams and Higgins are bigger favourites surprises me.

I think people are just saying that due to form. Selby hasn't really been in form this season, and Williams and Higgins have both recently won tournaments.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Selby has to be as strong a favourite as anybody surely. To suggest Williams and Higgins are bigger favourites surprises me.

I think people are just saying that due to form. Selby hasn't really been in form this season, and Williams and Higgins have both recently won tournaments.

It's a fair observation IMO but Selby is a titan of the Crucible. It is only just over a month away :D

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's a fair observation IMO but Selby is a titan of the Crucible. It is only just over a month away :D

Oh yeah. He's amongst the favourites. No point denying that.

Postby TheRocket

New season. Nothing's changed. One guy of the holy trinity still missing so far though. I'm sure he'll add himself onto that picture very soon.