Post a reply

Will Ronnie win the Worlds this year?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 24

Re: Will Ronnie win the World Championship this year?

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:And crying like a baby at the Masters, however young he was, was not a good sign. That maybe harsh, but that's the way i felt at the time, and still do.

It's not harsh, it's pig ignorant. He was a kid and he was treated like rubbish that night. That he has come back from that deeply unpleasant experience to carve out a very successful career is another sign that the guy has far more mental strength than the warriors on here that smell of cheese and onion crisps.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:And crying like a baby at the Masters, however young he was, was not a good sign. That maybe harsh, but that's the way i felt at the time, and still do.

It's not harsh, it's pig ignorant. He was a kid and he was treated like rubbish that night. That he has come back from that deeply unpleasant experience to carve out a very successful career is another sign that the guy has far more mental strength than the warriors on here that smell of cheese and onion crisps.

Not pig ignorant pinkie. Never saw a player break down like that. Regardless of his age or the crowd. Hendry wouldnt have cried. I doubt any pkayers would have. Threateni g to walk out and not carry on showed sign of weakness to me.
Whatever you feel about it i'm entitled to my opinion without being accused of being pig ignorant.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:I'm going for a twiddle to calm down. Ding is highly tempermental but he is not a mental midget. I defended Sullivan for years on the same count.

He's not a mental midget. Id never say that. But his mental resilience is questionable. More than many of the top players and may be a reason hes not won the biggest prize.

Postby TheRocket

Ding looked in a good shape mentally those last two years. He played as good as I've seen him play at the World Championship, Especially last year.

But he was unlucky to play Selbo. And Selbo is probably the hardest player to beat in those multi session, let alone four session matches. Once you have those 40-50 minute frames its like a war and you know you'll lose.

Even O'Sullivan and Higgins crumbled.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Not pig ignorant pinkie. Never saw a player break down like that. Regardless of his age or the crowd. Hendry wouldnt have cried. I doubt any pkayers would have. Threateni g to walk out and not carry on showed sign of weakness to me.
Whatever you feel about it i'm entitled to my opinion without being accused of being pig ignorant.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to call your opinion pig ignorant. Was Hendry racially abused on national television at 19?

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to call your opinion pig ignorant. Was Hendry racially abused on national television at 19?

You can be pig ignorant sometimes.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:Ding looked in a good shape mentally those last two years. He played as good as I've seen him play at the World Championship, Especially last year.

But he was unlucky to play Selbo. And Selbo is probably the hardest player to beat in those multi session, let alone four session matches. Once you have those 40-50 minute frames its like a war and you know you'll lose.

Ding's efforts in 2016 and especially 2017 were far superior to Sullivan and Higgins's.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Please provide proof that Ding was racially abused that night. All I've seen and read so far is speculation and hearsay.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No, I'm just right

Postby Chalk McHugh

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Please provide proof that Ding was racially abused that night. All I've seen and read so far is speculation and hearsay.

Top players don't even notice the crowd. Was Dings English that good that he was listening to every utterance of the crowd that night? Not a hope. 'Come on Ronnie' was all he'd here. He got hammered. And wanted to concede and walk out. They are the facts.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Iwas actually there that night and it was by far the most unpleasant thing I've ever seen at a snooker match. I never thought something like that could happen at a snooker match. I think it's what turned me off that tournament once and for all.

Naturally, it was a tiny minority. I don't have a recording obviously, so what I say is only hearsay in itself. You can either take my word for it or ignore it, doesn't bother me.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Ding looked in a good shape mentally those last two years. He played as good as I've seen him play at the World Championship, Especially last year.

Ding's efforts in 2016 and especially 2017 were far superior to Sullivan and Higgins's.

The one in 2017 definitely. In 2016 he had a really poor start (went 6:0 behind I think) and looked twitchy at times. But last year he played extremely well. Scored very heavily, competed very well with Selbo in the safety department.

If there's one thing I criticize about Dings gameplan is that he tries "too hard". What I mean is even when he needs like 2 or 3 Snookers he comes back to the table and things turn automatically into a scrappy affair. Which obviously suits Selbo and hurts Ding.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The one in 2017 definitely. In 2016 he had a really poor start (went 6:0 behind I think) and looked twitchy at times. But last year he played extremely well. Scored very heavily, competed very well with Selbo in the safety department.

If there's one thing I criticize about Dings gameplan is that he tries "too hard". What I mean is even when he needs like 2 or 3 Snookers he comes back to the table and things turn automatically into a scrappy affair. Which obviously suits Selbo and hurts Ding.

Since when did Selbo become the barometer for judging mental strength?

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:It's not harsh, it's pig ignorant. He was a kid and he was treated like rubbish that night. That he has come back from that deeply unpleasant experience to carve out a very successful career is another sign that the guy has far more mental strength than the warriors on here that smell of cheese and onion crisps.

Top players don't even notice the crowd. Was Dings English that good that he was listening to every utterance of the crowd that night? Not a hope. 'Come on Ronnie' was all he'd here. He got hammered. And wanted to concede and walk out. They are the facts.

You don't need brilliant English to know what it is to be called "a Chinese pin end".
He got hammered by the best player of all-time playing at his best. I don't think it's ever been proven 'factual' that he wanted to concede and walk out. That MIGHT be true. Personally, I think it is, and I wouldn't blame him.

Postby Iranu

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

19 years old, racially abused by the shittest, most partisan crowd snooker has to offer in a foreign country halfway round the world where he barely speaks any of the language, while also getting destroyed on the table.

That was 11 years ago. Surely his last two outings in the Worlds (i.e. the tournament we're discussing) is a better indication of his mental strength nowadays?

Ronnie actually DID walk out of a match once, in a much better position than Ding was in '07. Does that mean he's still a 'mental midget'?

I feel like you're being unfair here. Not everyone can be a Higgins or Selby, winning matches on mental strength alone. Otherwise 120 of the players on tour are mental midgets.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ding is four years younger than Selby and he has won the same amount of ranking titles. Ding has won more ranking titles than Jimmy White, Peter Ebdon, Shaun Murphy... and he's only 30 years old. He's done allright and he has another ten years or so to win the worlds.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

It's nothing personal. You're a nice poster and it's good to have people like yo u here.

You're not pig ignorant but I 100% believe your comments on the 2007 are pig ignorant because you don't know as much as I know about that night. Actually, maybe ignorant as opposed to pig ignorant might be fairer. Regardless, you're miles off the mark on that one. Calling him out for being mentally weak would annoy me but I can live with it. Calling him out over the 2007 final is grossly unfair.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

19 years old, racially abused by the shittest, most partisan crowd snooker has to offer in a foreign country halfway round the world where he barely speaks any of the language, while also getting destroyed on the table.

That was 11 years ago. Surely his last two outings in the Worlds (i.e. the tournament we're discussing) is a better indication of his mental strength nowadays?

Ronnie actually DID walk out of a match once, in a much better position than Ding was in '07. Does that mean he's still a 'mental midget'?

I feel like you're being unfair here. Not everyone can be a Higgins or Selby, winning matches on mental strength alone. Otherwise 120 of the players on tour are mental midgets.

This is a quality post.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Don't put words in my mouth please. Never said mental midget. I don't fancy him to win the worlds. He's 30 now, had lots of chances. Hasn't happened. Yes, he fought well v Selby but he still lost. He has time on his hands but i dont think he'll win it but thats just my honest opinion. None of us have a crystal ball. And to be fair, i would like to see him win it, it's nothing personnal.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Don't put words in my mouth please. Never said mental midget. I don't fancy him to win the worlds. He's 30 now, had lots of chances. Hasn't happened. Yes, he fought well v Selby but he still lost. He has time on his hands but i dont think he'll win it but thats just my honest opinion. None of us have a crystal ball. And to be fair, i would like to see him win it, it's nothing personnal.

You dragged that final where he was racially abused at the age of 19 into an argument about him being mentally weak. I think his career since then is a sign that he is the opposite of mentally weak. You said he cried like a baby, and yes he did, but that's because he was racially abused. It's not like someone called him tubby.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

This is a quality post.

You can't compare Ding to 120 of the lower players. We all know hes better than that so its more apt to compare him to the top 8 or 16. Is 3 majors and no World Championships a good return for his undoubted talent?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ding is four years younger than Selby and he has won the same amount of ranking titles. Ding has won more ranking titles than Jimmy White, Peter Ebdon, Shaun Murphy... and he's only 30 years old. He's done allright and he has another ten years or so to win the worlds.

:goodpost:

Ding deserves more respect for his achievements. The "World" championship is just one tournament...and it's allways played in England and that's a bit unfair for people from other parts of the WORLD in my opinion.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:It's not harsh, it's pig ignorant. He was a kid and he was treated like rubbish that night. That he has come back from that deeply unpleasant experience to carve out a very successful career is another sign that the guy has far more mental strength than the warriors on here that smell of cheese and onion crisps.

This is a quality post.

You can't compare Ding to 120 of the lower players. We all know hes better than that so its more apt to compare him to the top 8 or 16. Is 3 majors and no World Championships a good return for his undoubted talent?

It's a good return. He could have done better, but he hasn't done badly either and he still has time on his hands. I'm more concerned about what you're saying about the 2007 Masters final than anything else because I am 100% convinced that what you're saying is grossly unfair.